Ice cream sandwiches with toasted coconut banana bread and filled with creamy coconut ice cream sandwiched in between. Enjoy this classic frozen treat with a fun twist that is gluten free and dairy free.
With only a few weeks of summer left, we are trying to soak it up with all the fun things we remember as a kid. For me, there was nothing better than an ice cream sandwich to cool down with on a warm summer day.
These Toasted Coconut Banana Bread Ice Cream Sandwiches are an upgraded version with a tropical twist on this classic treat.
The gluten-free banana bread was amazing all on its own but I couldn’t resist stuffing it with some coconut ice cream for the filling. The flavor combination of banana and coconut were a match made in heaven.
The gluten free banana bread batter was baked in this Wilton Ice Cream Sandwich Pan but if you don’t have one, you could definitely use either a jumbo muffin tin or a regular muffin tin filled 1/3 of the way for smaller ice cream sandwiches. The cakes will be just the right thickness to sandwich a scoop or so of creamy coconut dairy-free ice cream between them.
Or instead of using the ice cream recipe below, go for your favorite ice cream – it will be amazing either way! Just don’t forget to roll the sides into a pile of toasted coconut, sprinkles or even chocolate chips. Then be prepared to bring out the kid in you!
These homemade and healthier ice cream sandwiches make a great non-dairy and gluten free frozen treat to beat the summer heat!
- Banana Bread
- * 1 cup mashed very ripe bananas (I used 2 medium bananas)
- * ¼ cup raw organic honey
- * ⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
- * 1 egg
- * ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup gluten-free oat flour (I make mine by grinding certified gf oats)
- * ¼ cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- * ¼ teaspoon salt
- * ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- * ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- * ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Coconut Ice Cream
- * 2 cans full fat coconut milk (the higher the fat the more creamy the ice cream)
- * ½ cup raw organic honey or sugar
- * 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Optional Toppings
- * ½ cup toasted unsweetened shredded coconut
- * sprinkles
- * mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray Wilton Ice Cream Sandwich pan or muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in egg, honey and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the oat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add to the wet ingredients and fold together until just combined. Fold in toasted coconut.
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan - fill cavity ⅔ way full (or if using a muffin tin ⅓ - ½ way full) and bake about 10-12 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely before assembling.
- Coconut Ice Cream
- In a medium sized pot over medium low heat, combine all the ingredients until honey or sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth.
- Cover and refrigerate until cooled completely then process in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Place in a covered freezer safe container.
- Freeze until firm. About 4 hours or overnight.
- When ready to assemble, remove ice cream from freezer and allow a few minutes (5-15 minutes - varies depending on coconut milk used) for ice cream to soften at room temperature before scooping as ice cream may be hard and icy depending on the brand of coconut milk you use.
- Fill banana cakes with generous scoops of coconut ice cream. Roll into toasted coconut, sprinkles or even mini chocolate chips.
- Wrap each sandwich in plastic wrap and store in freezer allowing to set up and harden slightly or until ready to enjoy. Remove from freezer about 10 minutes before planning to eat.
Craving for more frozen treats?
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter. You can also find me over here: