Posted by Kellyhttps://lifemadesweeter.com/sweet-potato-casserole/
© 2016 Life Made Sweeter. All rights reserved.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole - Healthy, Paleo (Slow Cooker OR oven)
Paleo Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect easy and healthy side dish for Thanksgiving. Best of all, it's made entirely in the crock pot, saving you valuable oven space.
For the sweet potato puree
lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2 inch chunks or rounds
cup milk, plus more as needed (I usually use unsweetened almond or cashew milk)
tablespoons coconut oil, ghee or vegan butter (softened)
cup pure maple syrup
teaspoon pure vanilla extract
large egg (optional), lightly beaten
For the pecan topping:
cups toasted pecans, roughly chopped
tablespoons melted coconut oil
tablespoons pure maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want this)
tablespoons almond flour (or all purpose flour for non-paleo version)
- To make this in the slow cooker
- Coat the inside of your 5-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the bottom of your slow cooker. Cover with lid and cook on high for 2-3 hours (check if your slow cooker runs hot - mine are usually done at around 2 1/2 hours) or until potatoes are soft and tender. Using an immersion blender, hand mixer or a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes right in the slow cooker.
- Add the milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and egg and mix well until combined. Add more milk (1/2 tablespoon at a time) if mash seems too thick. Smooth the surface.
- In a large bowl, combine pecans, oil, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl.
- Sprinkle over the sweet potato mash. Cover and cook on high for an additional 45 minutes - 1.5 hours depending on how hot your slow cooker runs.
- Serve warm right out of the crock pot.
- To make this in the oven
- Grease a large oven-safe casserole dish (about 9x13) and set aside.
- Add the potato chunks to a large pot covered in water by at least 2-3 inches of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until completely tender (potatoes will pierce easily with a fork) and drain well. Using an immersion blender, hand mixer or a potato masher, mash the sweet potatoes right in the pot.
- Add the milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla and egg and mix well until combined. Add more milk (1/2 tablespoon at a time) if mash seems too thick.
- Transfer mash to prepared casserole dish and smooth the surface. (You can make the sweet potato casserole up to this point the day before serving, if desired. Just cover the baking dish and refrigerate).
- Combine pecans, oil, maple syrup, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and sprinkle over the sweet potatoes. Bake in preheated oven at 350 F for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.