Oatmeal carmelitas are soft & chewy oatmeals bars filled with a gooey caramel filling with oozing chocolate. These bars are seriously so irresistible & perfect for sharing!
Carmelitas are one of my favorite all time desserts! I have such a weakness for anything made with oats and when you combine them with gooey caramel, melted chocolate and pecans….the combination is just pure heaven!
The first time I made them for my husband, he said these were the best bars I’ve ever made which is saying a lot since he is not usually a fan of oat bars.
There are a few separate layers that come together fairly easily. The crust and topping are made with the same mixture. It’s a buttery, soft and chewy oatmeal and flour mixture.
Half is pressed into the pan and baked for 10 minutes as the crust, and the other is crumbled over the top.
The gooey filling is melted caramel & heavy cream — it takes a bit of time to unwrap 30+ caramels or just use these (affiliate link —>) caramel bits which will save you about 2.5 minutes
Once it cools, pour over the layer of chocolate chips, and crumble the reserved oatmeal mixture over the top.
The hardest part is allowing these bars to cool completely before cutting into them. I usually leave them in the refrigerating them. They start to get a little bit drippy and gooey as they come to room temperature.
These bars are rich, decadent and loaded with an intense caramel flavor. They’re full of texture and perfect cure for those times you just need that extra special dessert.
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 32 unwrapped caramel squares or 11 ounce bag of caramel bits
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1¼ cup old fashioned oats
- 1¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mini chocolate chips
- caramel sauce for drizzling
- Add the caramel and heavy cream into a small saucepan over low heat. Stir until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with cooking spray, leaving a slight overhang to easily remove bars.
- Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats until combined.
- Pour half of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over crust. Then pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips. Then sprinkle the remaining crust dough over the caramel. Return pan to oven and bake an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting. Place in fridge to speed up process.
- When cooled, remove bars using overhang and cut into squares. Top with more chocolate chips and caramel drizzle if desired.
More oatmeal bars:
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here: