Instant Pot Cashew Chicken Stir Fry – a popular Chinese takeout favorite made easily in the pressure cooker in under 30 minutes! Easy to customize and perfect for busy weeknights.
Cashew Chicken is a big favorite at our house. We love a good takeout fakeout at home. It’s so much tastier and healthier than what you can get at the local Asian restaurant. My son is crazy about cashews so this easy one pan stir fry happens a lot at our house.
Do you guys have an Instant Pot? It is my all time favorite kitchen gadget right now. This Instant Pot Cashew Chicken has all those classic flavors of our cashew chicken stir-fry recipe with instructions for making it in the pressure cooker.
And if you’re following a low carb or paleo diet, I’ve also included notes and options so you can still make this fit into your healthier way of eating.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CASHEW CHICKEN STIR-FRY:
1. You’re going to start off by making the easy homemade sauce. It’s made with:
- gluten free tamari or low sodium soy sauce
- hoisin sauce (leave out for low carb)
- apple cider vinegar
- coconut sugar (swap with erythritol or monk fruit sweetener for low carb)
- sesame oil
- garlic and ginger
2. Cut the chicken into bite-sized chunks and season with some sea salt, black pepper and 1-2 tablespoons of the sauce.
3. Chop your broccoli, red bell peppers and any other vegetables you like while the chicken marinates.
4. Turn on your Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button. Add oil when hot then brown the chicken for about 1-2 minutes Add the sauce and cover with the lid.
5. Lock the lid and push the valve to SEALING. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes.
6. The Instant Pot will take some time to come to pressure. Once the 4 minutes is up, use a long spoon and push the valve to VENTING for a QUICK RELEASE.
7. Once all the pressure is released, carefully unlock the lid and transfer the chicken to a plate. Press the SAUTE button, then stir in the arrowroot starch (or xanthum gum) slurry into the Instant Pot along with the vegetables and cashews.
8. Allow to cook for 3-4 minutes until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has thickened. Adjust seasonings and add more water as needed to thin out. Give everything a final tossing to coat well.
WHAT CAN I SERVE THIS INSTANT CASHEW CHICKEN WITH?
The great thing about this healthier than restaurant version is that you don’t have to serve this cashew chicken with white rice if you are trying to watch your carbs.
Quinoa, spiralized zucchini noodles or cauliflower rice are all delicious options that would be delicious with this cashew chicken.
CAN I MAKE THIS INSTANT POT CASHEW CHICKEN AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes, absolutely. This easy takeout dish would be great for Sunday meal prep. To cut down on time:
- Cut the chicken into chunks and place into a zip-top bag in the fridge
- Chop the veggies and place in zip-top bags or containers
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and store in a small glass container
- If you plan on serving this with zoodles (paleo), quinoa or steamed rice – those can easily be made ahead of time too and stored in the fridge.
More Instant Pot recipes you might like:
Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
Instant Pot Cashew Chicken Stir Fry - a popular Chinese takeout favorite made easily in the pressure cooker in under 30 minutes! Easy to customize and perfect for busy weeknights.
- 1 1/4 lb chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- sea salt and black pepper as needed
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil or olive oil
- 3 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 red bell pepper cut into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch or cornstarch or 1 teaspoon xanthum gum for low carb
- 2 tablespoons water plus more as needed to thin out sauce
SAUCE and MARINADE
- 6 tablespoons gluten free tamari can also use low sodium-soy sauce coconut aminos for paleo version
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce leave out for low carb & use fish sauce instead
- 1 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut sugar use low carb sweetener like erythritol stevia or monk frui for low carb
- 3/4 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup water OR chicken broth
- red pepper chili flakes
- toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
In a medium bowl, combine the tamari, hoisin sauce, sesame oil, sweetener (if using), vinegar, ginger and garlic for the sauce. Set aside.
Season chicken with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon of the sauce/marinade. Allow to sit while you chop and prep your vegetables.
Turn your Instant Pot to SAUTE then add in oil. Once oil is hot, add the chicken and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the remaining sauce along with 1/3 cup water (or chicken broth). Cover with lid.
Press the valve to SEALING and press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 4 minutes. The Instant Pot will take some time to come to pressure. Once the 4 minutes is up, use a long spoon and push the valve to VENTING for a QUICK RELEASE.
Once all the pressure is released, carefully unlock the lid. Press the SAUTE button, then whisk the arrowroot starch (or xanthum gum) with 2 tablespoons water until combined and stir into the Instant Pot.
Add the vegetables and cashews and cook for 4-5 minutes, or until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the sauce has thickened up. Adjust seasonings with salt, pepper or red pepper chili flakes an / or add more water as needed to thin out sauce. Give everything a final tossing to coat well.
- Transfer to a platter and serve warm on a large platter or over zoodles, cauliflower rice (paleo), quinoa or regular rice or noodles. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.