These Paleo Brownies are rich, chocolatey, fudgy and so easy to make in one bowl. Made with wholesome and simple pantry ingredients without any flour, butter, oil or refined sugar. The perfect healthy brownie recipe when you’re craving a decadent treat.
FUDGY PALEO BROWNIES
Looking for a healthier way to satisfy that chocolate craving? These paleo brownies are rich, fudgy, chocolaty and come together in less than 30 minutes. Ditch the boxed mix brownies because this homemade brownie recipe uses simple to find pantry ingredients and comes together in just ONE bowl!
WHAT ARE PALEO BROWNIES
If you’re looking for a ridiculously delicious gluten-free, dairy-free and refined sugar-free treat, these flourless paleo brownies are just what you need and perfect if you can’t find any all purpose flour or sugar on the store shelves right now.
They are made with wholesome ingredients that you can pronounce easily and way better for you than any storebought brownie mix.
WHAT INGREDIENTS YOU NEED FOR THIS PALEO BROWNIE RECIPE:
- Almond butter – use drippy and creamy almond butter – not from the bottom of the jar.
- Superfine Almond Flour – do not replace with coconut flour or your brownies will not turn out the same
- Cocao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder: helps to add that rich chocolatey flavor we all love in easy paleo brownies
- Eggs: swap with flax eggs for vegan brownies
- Pure maple syrup or use a sugar free maple syrup such as Lakanto for low carb brownies
- Coconut sugar: you can also sub with golden monk fruit sweetener (or brown sugar for regular brownies if that’s all you have)
- Coconut oil: feel free to sub with melted butter or vegan butter. Be sure to use refined coconut oil if you don’t like any hint of coconut flavor
- Chopped chocolate: you can use dairy-free chocolate chips, mini chocolate chips OR dark chocolate chips
- Baking soda: the leavener that helps these gluten free paleo brownies rise
- Vanilla extract and just a pinch of Sea Salt: helps to balance the sweetness and add flavor to make these healthy brownies extra delicious
HOW TO MAKE PALEO BROWNIES
PREHEAT OVEN: First, you’re going to preheat your oven to 325 F. Line an 8×8 square pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang (for easier removal). Set aside.
MELT THE CHOCOLATE: In a large heat-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate, almond butter and coconut oil either over a double-boiler or in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring well until chocolate is just melted and smooth (stir well in between – do not overheat).
COMBINE THE WET INGREDIENTS: Whisk in coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in the eggs until incorporated.
- STIR IN DRY INGREDIENTS: Stir in cocoa powder followed by the almond flour until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in remaining chocolate. The batter will be thick.
- TRANSFER BATTER: Spread the brownie batter into your lined baking pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
BAKE in preheated oven for 28-32 minutes – underbake if you like gooey brownies that are fudgier and cook them a little longer if you prefer chewy brownies. Allow to completely cool before slicing into even squares.
VARIATIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
- Maple syrup: Can I use honey or another liquid sweetener instead? Honey is slightly thicker and sweeter than maple syrup so you may have to adjust the amount. Lakanto sugar free maple syrup, agave or another liquid sweetener can also be substituted but just keep in mind that you may have to adjust the amount depending on the texture and taste.
- Almond butter. Can I use another nut butter or seed butter? Yes, if you don’t have any almond butter on hand, use cashew butter or even peanut butter if you’re not paleo. No sugar added sunflower seed butter like this one will also work but you may have to increase the amount of sweetener depending on the brand.
- Coconut oil. Grass-fed butter or ghee can be used in place of coconut oil!
- Almond flour. If you are allergic to almond flour, you can try swapping with a 1:1 ratio of sunflower seed flour but I DO NOT recommend ever replacing with a 1:1 ration of coconut flour or your brownies will not turn out the same.
- Chocolate chips. If you’re not a chocolate chips fan, you can swap them out for chopped nuts like: pecans, walnuts or slivered almonds for an added crunch. You can even try adding freeze-dried fruit or chopped dates, apricots if you like.
- Non-paleo add-ins: chopped candy bars, sprinkles or M&M’s are some fun additions if you want to take these to a party or a barbecue
More fudgy brownie recipes you might like:
These Paleo Brownies are rich, chocolatey, fudgy and so easy to make in one bowl. Made with wholesome and simple pantry ingredients without any flour, butter, oil or refined sugar. The perfect healthy brownie recipe when you're craving a decadent treat.
- 2/3 cup chopped dark chocolate, OR dairy-free chocolate chips divided
- 1/3 cup drippy unsalted almond butter , can also sub with any other nut OR seed butter you have
- 1/3 cup coconut oil , melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (can also sub with golden monk fruit sweetener OR even brown sugar)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can also sub with Lakanto sugar-free maple syrup)
- 2 large eggs , room temperature (sub with 3 Tablespoons ground flaxseeds + 8 Tablespoons water for vegan brownies)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder OR unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- melted chocolate glaze
- flaky sea salt
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang (for easier removal). Set aside.
In a large heat-safe bowl, melt 1/2 cup of the chocolate, almond butter and coconut oil over a double-boiler or in the microwave in 20 second increments, stirring well until chocolate is just melted and smooth (stir well in between - do not overheat).
Remove from heat then whisk in coconut sugar, maple syrup and vanilla. Add eggs and whisk until incorporated. Stir in cocoa powder followed by the almond flour until just combined. Fold in remaining chocolate. The batter will be thick.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
Bake in preheated oven for 28-32 minutes - underbake for fudgier brownies. Allow to completely cool before slicing into even squares.