Paleo Brownies with Chocolate Frosting -the perfect fudgy and refined-sugar free brownie recipe for anytime you’re craving a decadent chocolate treat. Best of all, these frosted brownies come together in just one bowl and are also gluten free and dairy free.
Looking for a healthier way to satisfy that chocolate craving? These paleo brownies with chocolate frosting are sure to hit the spot! Since you guys love these Paleo Turtle Brownies, I set out to make another one bowl paleo version.
I started testing these back in October and shared a glimpse with you guys on Instagram stories and am finally getting the chance to share the recipe with you guys today.
These healthier paleo brownies are super rich, gooey and fudgy so you won’t even have to feel guilty about having that extra piece!
The best part though? The brownies come together in just one bowl and the simple frosting takes no time at all!
Just natural almond butter, coconut oil, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and salt is all it takes but it totally takes these paleo brownies up an extra level. Or – no judgement, you may just want to eat the frosting by the spoonful!
If you’re looking for a dairy-free and refined sugar-free treat, these delicious brownies would definitely fit the bill. Plus, you can even sub the eggs for flax eggs to make these vegan.
WHAT INGREDIENTS MAKE THESE BROWNIES PALEO-FRIENDLY?
- chopped chocolate (be sure to use paleo-friendly chocolate)
- almond butter
- coconut sugar
- maple syrup
- cocoa powder
- almond flour
HOW TO MAKE THE ULTIMATE FUDGY PALEO BROWNIES
- Start off melting the chocolate, almond butter and coconut oil over a double-boiler on the stove or in the microwave.
- Whisk in the coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Add the eggs one by one and whisk until incorporated. Fold in cocoa powder followed by the almond flour.
- Spread batter in pan and bake. Cool completely before slicing into even squares.
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the frosting and spread over cool brownies.
TO MAKE THE PALEO FROSTING:
- If your almond butter isn’t very liquidy, melt in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds. Whip in coconut cream, maple syrup and cocoa powder until smooth.
You may need these supplies for this paleo brownies recipe:
- 3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate divided
- 1/3 cup natural almond butter (creamy / unsalted)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 large eggs room temperature (can also use flax eggs for vegan)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment paper leaving a slight overhang (for easier removal). Set aside.
- In a large heat-safe bowl, heat 1/2 cup of the chopped chocolate, almond butter and coconut oil over a double-boiler on the stove or in the microwave in 20-second increments, until chocolate is just melted and smooth (stir well in between - do not overheat).
Whisk in coconut sugar, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt. Add the eggs one by one and whisk until incorporated. Stir in cocoa powder followed by the almond flour until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in remaining 1/4 cup chopped chocolate. The batter will be thick.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 23-27 minutes - underbake for fudgier brownies. Allow to completely cool before slicing into even squares.
- While the brownies are baking, make the frosting:
- If your almond butter isn't very liquidy, in a large heat-safe bowl, melt in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Whip in chilled coconut cream, 4 tablespoons maple syrup and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, vanilla and salt until smooth. Depending on the brand of almond butter used, add more maple syrup, almond butter and/or cocoa powder to achieve desired sweetness and consistency. Cover and chill in fridge until ready to frost.
- Using an offset spatula, spread frosting over cooled brownies.