Is anyone else baffled by how fast August hit us this year? I know I sure am.
So before summer slips away, we are determined to cram in a few more activities to cross off our summer bucket list.
Fruit Picking? We missed out on strawberry picking this year but if you follow me on Instagram, we made it just in time for the last weekend of the season for cherry picking. They even had peach picking there too so that was a bonus!
The weather was great and although my lil guy wasn’t too happy at first about his cherry stained hands, he had lots of fun after realizing that his hands weren’t really bleeding.
We got a good stash and are now overflowing with cherries at my house since we’ve also been buying them like crazy from the store because they are at an awesome price right now.
I made these gluten free Cherry Banana Muffins a few weeks ago with some cherries I bought and am tempted to make some more again with the fresh bounty we got from our cherry picking weekend.
These muffins are quick and easy to throw together and are a great way to use up some of those ripe bananas.
With no butter or refined sugar, these make a great healthy breakfast or any time treat.
Be sure to use certified gluten free oats or oat flour to ensure that they are gluten free.
They are moist and bursting with flavor from the sweet cherries and go perfectly with the dark chocolate chips.
With cherry season upon us, there’s no excuse not to load up on some fresh cherries and bake up a batch of these delicious muffins!
She’s a sweet mother of three who shares her positive outlook on life and motherhood as well as beauty and style tips. She enjoys leading a healthy lifestyle by working out and fuelling up with gluten free snacks. So be sure to stop by and say “hi” and look around
- * 1 cup of almond meal
- * ½ cups gluten free oat flour (I grind my own in the food processor using certified gluten free rolled oats)
- * 1 teaspoon baking powder
- * ½ teaspoon baking soda
- * ¼ teaspoon of salt
- * 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- * 2 medium, ripe bananas
- * 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- * ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce (can substitute with greek yogurt or ⅓ cup of milk of your choice but you may need to add more honey for sweetness)
- * ¼ cup raw organic honey or agave nectar
- * 1 tablespoons of coconut oil, melted (can substitute with oil of your choice)
- * 2 eggs, room temperature
- * 1 cup chopped fresh sweet cherries
- * ⅓ dark chocolate chips
- * ⅛ cup of oats for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 415 F. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the almond flour, oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground cinnamon.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Whisk in honey, applesauce, vanilla extract and melted coconut oil. Add eggs one at a time and whisk well until combined.
- Fold dry ingredients to wet and stir just until moistened.
- Gently fold in cherries and dark chocolate chips. Divide evenly between muffin cups, filling all the way to the top of the pan.
- Sprinkle topping with oats if desired.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Have you entered the $400 Back to School Giveaway yet? There’s still time!
Here are more summer fruit recipes: