This Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats recipe is easy to make and the perfect healthy make ahead breakfast for busy mornings. Made with hearty oats, apples and warm spices, it’s a healthy breakfast your family will love. Gluten free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free, vegan & requires only 5 minutes of prep time!
Easy Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats Recipe
Looking for a delicious and cozy fall breakfast? These Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats sort of remind me of apple pie but are made with wholesome ingredients and just perfect for mornings when you don’t feel like turning on the oven. It’s a healthy no cook oatmeal recipe made with hearty rolled oats, chopped apples and warm cinnamon. They are a delicious and nutritious breakfast option for apple season and are completely dairy-free, refined sugar-free, vegan and gluten-free.
What are overnight oats
Are you an overnight oats fan? Overnight oats are simply uncooked oats that you soak with liquid for at least 4-5 hours (or overnight). They require less than 5 minutes of prep time. Plus, they are super easy to customize and I love that you can make a batch on meal prep Sunday with your favorite flavors.
Ingredients you need
All you need to make our easy carrot overnight oats are just a few simple pantry ingredients:
- Oats: we use gluten free old fashioned rolled oats – we do not recommend using Instant Oats or Quick Oats
- Chia seeds: Chia seeds give overnight oats that thick pudding-like texture and add extra fiber but feel free to leave them out if you aren’t a fan.
- Milk: Use your favorite dairy or dairy-free milk you like or have on hand. We usually like to use unsweetened almond milk but coconut milk, cashew milk all work great for a vegan option.
- Spices: we love adding a touch of ground cinnamon
- Grated carrots , plus more for topping if desired
- Shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- Chopped pecans
Other Optional add-ins
- Yogurt – You can add a combination of milk and yogurt to make your oats extra creamy .
- Fruit: Have fun with your toppings. Add fruit that won’t get mushy directly into the mason jar or toss them on directly on top of the oats when you’re ready to eat.
- Nut or seed butter: Almond butter, cashew butter, pumpkin butter, sunflower seed butter and or peanut butter add that savory-nutty flavor and a certain creaminess.
Overnight Oats Ratio
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup liquid (water or your favorite milk)
How to make Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats
Our apple overnight oats are one of the easiest breakfasts that even your kids can help you assemble the night before. Be sure to follow the step-by-step instructions or watch the video below.
- ADD OATS TO CONTAINER: Start by combining the rolled oats / old fashioned oats with milk, chia seeds, sweetener, chopped apples and cinnamon to a 8 oz. mason jar, resealable container or a bowl. These 7 oz jars are the ones you actually see in the photos and are currently my favorite ones.
- FLAVOR WITH SWEETENER OR SPICES: Overnight oats are super versatile so feel free to add any sweetener or spices you like.
- MIX: Shake jar or mix and combine with a spoon. (If you like your oatmeal more creamier, you can add more milk and less if you like them on the chunkier side – you can also add an extra 2 tablespoons yogurt (dairy free if needed) to make them creamier).
- CHILL IN FRIDGE: Seal or cover with a lid and chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- EAT IN JAR OR BOWL: Enjoy cold or heat up in the microwave or stove-top. Serve with more milk as desired and top with more chopped apples and ground cinnamon, if desired.
Storage and make ahead tips
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you eat Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal hot or cold?
You can eat overnight oats hot or cold straight from the fridge. Enjoy cold overnight oats with yogurt and berries plus toppings of your choice.
Can Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats be heated?
Yes, you can eat reheat overnight oatmeal either in the microwave in a heat-safe container or pour into a pot and heat on the stove.
Does this apple overnight oat recipe work with steel cut oats?
We specifically tested these instant oats recipes using old-fashioned rolled oats and not with steel cut oats.
Overnight Oats Variations
More easy oatmeal recipes:
This Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats recipe is easy to make and the perfect healthy make ahead breakfast for busy mornings. Made with hearty oats, apples and warm spices, it's a healthy breakfast your family will love. Gluten free, dairy-free, refined-sugar free, vegan & requires only 5 minutes of prep time!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats gluten free as needed
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup almond milk or your favorite milk for a non-vegan version - you can add half milk and half Greek yogurt for creaminess as well
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped apples , I used gala (plus more for topping, if desired)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup honey or low carb liquid sweetener , optional
- Add oats, milk, chia seeds, apples, cinnamon (and sweetener if desired) together in a mason jar, resealable container or a bowl. (If you like your oatmeal more creamier, you can add more milk and less if you like them on the chunkier side - you can also add an extra 2 tablespoons yogurt (dairy free if needed) to make them creamier).
- Shake jar or mix and combine with a spoon. Seal and chill in fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Enjoy cold or heat up in the microwave or stove-top.
- Serve with more milk as desired and top with additional chopped apples and ground cinnamon before serving, if desired.