This Carrot Cake Oatmeal recipe is the perfect hearty and healthy breakfast. Best of all, it’s loaded with grated carrots, coconut milk and topped with nuts, shredded coconut and dried fruit – all the flavors you love in carrot cake.
Reposted with new photos from the original post from April 2014
Breakfast will always be a a favorite at our house. Especially when it involves anything with oats.
I am usually prepping our oatmeal the night before and a few weeks ago decided to make a spring version.
My husband loves carrot cake and since Easter is just around the corner, I figured it was the best time to switch things up.
This Carrot Cake Oatmeal is healthy, hearty and so comforting and just perfect for those of you that are carrot cake fans.
It has all the flavors you love about carrot cake packed into the goodness of a nutritious bowl of oatmeal.
Add your favorite toppings for this Carrot Cake Oatmeal:
You can’t beat how easy this is to customize depending on what you have on hand. I used:
- chopped walnuts
- shredded carrots
- shredded and toasted coconut chips.
Feel free to throw in all the common add-ins for carrot cake or switch things up to your liking.
This oatmeal is loaded with nutrients and will keep you full for hours – which is perfect for any busy person on the go.
Coconut Carrot Cake Oatmeal
This oatmeal is loaded with grated carrots, coconut milk and topped with nuts. Has all the flavors you love in carrot cake.
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk (can also use almond milk or any milk)
- 1/4 cup water or more, depending on how thick you like your oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup grated carrots (about 1 medium carrot)
- 1/2 cup old fashioned rolled oats (use gluten free oats if necessary)
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut, divided for garnish
- 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts or pecans, divided
- Optional toppings
- dried raisins
- toasted coconut chips
- chopped walnuts or pecans
- In a medium sized pot over medium heat, combine the milk, water, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- Stir in the grated carrots and oats. Lower heat if mixture starts to boil.
- Cook for about 12-14 minutes (depending on how thick you like the oats and the brand), stirring frequently. When the mixture has thickened up, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, half of the shredded coconuts and half of the nuts.
- Remove from heat and portion into bowls. Top the oatmeal with the remaining pecans, currants and shredded coconut and more coconut milk or maple syrup if desired. Sprinkle with more cinnamon and top with raisins and toasted coconut chips, if desired.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!
More breakfast ideas:
Interested in more Breakfast Oat recipes? Check out Overnight Oats – 8 Ways