Christmas Cracker Toffee Candy with saltine and graham crackers decorated 7 different ways – the perfect easy baking project / handmade gifts for the holidays. Best of all, so easy to customize with as little as 4 ingredients! Plus video!
Saltine Toffee – have you guys heard of it? Also known as Christmas Crack and easily one of our favorite treats we make every year around the holidays.
This popular Christmas candy is super addictive and usually made with saltine crackers covered in a layer of sweet toffee, and smothered in melted chocolate.
There are tons of variations across the web — usually topped with chopped nuts, sprinkles, peanut butter – the possibilities are endless!
If your kids are home from school for the holidays, these toffee crackers make a super easy and fun baking project and I’ve got 7+ fun ways that you can decorate them!
First, you’re going to line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Then you arrange your crackers to fill up your baking sheet. You can use saltine crackers, graham crackers or use a mix of both like I did!
Next comes the super simple 2 -ingredient toffee made with just unsalted butter and brown sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer then pour evenly over the crackers and pop the tray into the oven for 5 minutes until it bubbles. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with chocolate chips.
You can use your favorite chocolate chips. For this batch I used:
- dark chocolate
- white chocolate
- peanut butter chips
Butterscotch chips and cinnamon chips would be awesome too!
Pop the tray back in the oven for another 90 seconds (for the chocolate to melt) then spread with an offset spatula.
TOPPINGS – THE FUN PART!!
This is where you have fun and just go nuts with sprinkling on whatever you like. Here a few fun ideas I used:
- White chocolate chips with crushed candy canes with the white chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips with festive holly snowflake sprinkles
- Peanut butter chips with cranberries and chopped pistachios
- Peanut butter chips with chocolate jimmies sprinkles and chopped peanuts
- Dark chocolate chips with festive non-pareil sprinkles
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips with shredded coconut and chopped almonds (Almond Joy)
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips with festive mini M&M’s
White chocolate chips with crushed candy canes.
White chocolate chips with festive holly snowflake sprinkles
Semi-sweet chocolate chips with shredded coconut and chopped almonds (Almond Joy)
Semi-sweet chocolate chips with festive mini M&M’s
No matter which version you choose, these are one of the easiest holiday treats to make. As little as 4 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes.
The decadent sweet and salty combination (<—Christmas crack) makes these impossible to stop at just one. Happy Holidays everyone!!
Christmas Cracker Toffee – 7+ Ways
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 4697kcal Calories from fat 2714|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 302g||465%|
|Saturated Fat 184g||920%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
- 30 to 34 saltine crackers or 14 - 16 sheets of graham crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 cups chocolate chips of your choice (I used 1/4 cup each of semi-sweet, dark chocolate, white chocolate and peanut butter chips)
- Various Toppings of your choice
- Chocolate jimmies sprinkles
- Crushed candy canes
- Festive non-pareil sprinkles
- Festive snowflake / holly sprinkles
- Festive mini M&M's
- For the Almond Joy Version
- Crushed Almonds
- Shredded Coconut
- For Cranberry/Pistachio Version
- Crushed Pistachios
- Dried Cranberries
- For the Turtle Version
- Chopped Pecans
- For the Snickers Version
- Chopped Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Arrange the saltine crackers or graham crackers (or a mix like I did) in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Break the crackers if necessary to fit around the edges.
- In medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-heat, place the butter and brown sugar inside and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer and bubble up, without disturbing for 3 to 4 minutes (adjusting heat if necessary). Pour boiling toffee evenly over the crackers. Use an offset spatula to spread evenly over all of the crackers.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until bubbling. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top then return to the oven for another 90 seconds to help chocolate chips melt. Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate chips with an offset spatula into a smooth melted layer. Add toppings of your choice.
- Cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour or place in the freezer for 20 minutes, until the chocolate is set. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!
More festive treats: