This Christmas Crack recipe is sweet, salty and super easy to make with crunchy crackers, buttery toffee and melted chocolate. Made with just 4 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make! Includes 7 variations and the perfect simple baking project for the holidays.
Easy Christmas Crack Recipe
Saltine Toffee – have you guys heard of it? Also known as Christmas Crack and easily one of my kids’ favorite holiday treats we make every year in December. If your kids are home from school for the holidays, these toffee crackers make a super easy and fun baking project and I’ve got 7+ fun ways that you can decorate them!
What is Christmas Crack
This popular Christmas candy is super addictive and usually made with saltine crackers covered in a layer of sweet toffee, and smothered in melted chocolate. There are tons of variations across the web — usually topped with chopped nuts, sprinkles, peanut butter – the possibilities are endless!
Why we love this easy holiday treat
- Only 4 ingredients and takes less than 20 minutes with NO candy thermometer required
- Easy to customize with simple kitchen pantry ingredients
- A healthy, delicious sweet and salty treat the entire family will love
- Kid-friendly and a fun baking project
- Options for grain-free, low carb, keto, vegan, gluten-free and paleo
What I love about making your own Christmas crack candy is that you can customize them with whatever you like or have on hand. This healthy Christmas Crack can easily be made grain-free, paleo, low carb, keto and vegan.
- Saltine Crackers – this is the salty base of the toffee recipe but you can also sub with Simple Mills Sea Salt Grain-Free Almond Flour Crackers to keep this recipe paleo. For keto or low carb use your favorite low carb crackers such as Real Phat Foods Almond Flour Crackers or Hu’s Kitchen Grain-Free Sea Salt Crackers. Graham Crackers (homemade, gluten-free or regular), grain-free pretzels or swap with your favorite crackers.
- Butter – you can use unsalted butter, ghee, butter flavored coconut oil or vegan butter to make this Christmas crack vegan.
- Coconut sugar – we swapped out the usual brown sugar to keep this Christmas toffee recipe unrefined sugar-free but you can also use your favorite brown sugar substitute such as golden monk fruit sweetener OR brown SWERVE.
Your Favorite Chocolate Chips
You can use your favorite regular or dairy-free chocolate chips. For keto Christmas crack, use Pascha’s, Lily’s Sweets or Hu’s Kitchen Gems for paleo. Other chocolate chip options include:
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- dark chocolate chocolate chips
- white chocolate chocolate chips
- peanut butter chips’
- Butterscotch chips and cinnamon chips would be so fun too!
How to Make Christmas Crack
This is the easiest Christmas dessert recipe you can make. Follow the step-by-step recipe and watch the video to see how easy Christmas Crack is to make.
- LINE THE PAN: First, you’re going to line a large baking sheet with either parchment paper or foil sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- ARRANGE THE CRACKERS: Then you arrange your crackers to fill up your baking sheet. You can use saltine crackers or make your Christmas Crack with graham crackers – or even use a mix of both!
- MAKE THE TOFFEE: Next comes the super simple 2 -ingredient toffee made with vegan butter and coconut sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer then pour evenly over the crackers and pop the tray into the oven for 5 minutes until it bubbles. Remove from the oven and immediately pour chocolate chips over the toffee.
- BAKE AGAIN AND SPREAD MELTED CHOCOLATE: Pop the tray back in the oven for another 90 seconds so the chocolate will melt. Then remove from oven and spread the melted chocolate chips with an offset spatula.
- COOL in the refrigerator for 1 hour or place in the freezer for 20 minutes, until the chocolate is set.
- BREAK into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
Storage and Freezer Instructions
Cracker candy is one of those Christmas candy recipes that you can make ahead of time to enjoy all throughout the holidays.
How to store: Simply store your saltine cracker candy in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
How to freeze: Once your saltine candy has cooled down, simply break them apart and place the baking pan in the freezer for 20 minutes or until firm. Transfer the crackers to an airtight container or a large ziptop bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Christmas Crack Candy Swaps and Substitutions
The classic Saltine Cracker Toffee is delicious as is but feel free to change things up depending on what you like. This is where you have fun and just go nuts with sprinkling on whatever you like. Here a few fun ideas I used:
- Crackers: Saltine Crackers, Simple Mills Grain-Free Almond Flour Crackers to keep this recipe paleo, low carb or keto. Graham Crackers (homemade, gluten-free or regular), grain-free pretzels or swap with your favorite crackers.
- Chocolate chips: use regular or vegan chocolate chips. Semi-sweet, dark chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter, Butterscotch or cinnamon chips would be fun too!
- Topping variations: you can use sprinkles, dried fruit, toffee bits, shredded coconut, crushed candy canes, holiday M&M’s, chopped or crushed peanuts, chopped pecans, or chopped pistachios
No matter which version you choose, these are one of the easiest holiday treats to make.
The decadent sweet and salty combination makes these impossible to stop at just one.
7 Christmas Crack Variations
- White chocolate chips with crushed candy canes with the white chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips with festive holly snowflake sprinkles
- Peanut butter chips with cranberries and chopped pistachios
- Peanut butter chips with chocolate jimmies sprinkles and chopped peanuts
- Dark chocolate chips with festive non-pareil sprinkles
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips with shredded coconut and chopped almonds (Almond Joy)
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips with festive mini M&M’s
More Christmas treats!
This Christmas Crack recipe is sweet, salty and super easy to make with crunchy crackers, buttery toffee and melted chocolate. Made with just 4 ingredients and takes less than 15 minutes to make! Includes 7 variations and the perfect simple baking project for the holidays. Options for gluten-free, paleo, low carb, keto and vegan.
- 30 to 34 Simple Mills Grain-Free Almond Flour Crackers OR sub with Phat Crackers or Hu's Ktichen Grain-Free Crackers for keto. May also sub with saltine crackers OR 14 - 16 sheets of gluten-free or regular graham crackers
- 1 cup vegan butter , may also sub with ghee or unsalted butter if not dairy-free
- 1 cup coconut sugar , may also sub with golden monk fruit sweetener for low carb / keto
- 2 cups dairy-free chocolate chips , we like Hu's Kitchen, Pascha's OR Lily's Sweets. You can also use a mix of other chocolate chips of your choice such as 1/4 cup each of semi-sweet, dark chocolate, white chocolate and peanut butter chips
- Chocolate jimmies sprinkles
- Crushed candy canes
- Festive non-pareil sprinkles
- Festive snowflake / holly sprinkles
- Holiday mini M&M's
- Crushed Almonds
- Shredded Coconut
- Crushed Pistachios
- Dried Cranberries
- Chopped Pecans
- Chopped Peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper or foil, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
Arrange crackers of your choice above in a single layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Break the crackers if necessary to fit around the edges.
In a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-heat, place the butter and coconut sugar and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer and bubble up, without disturbing for 3 to 4 minutes (adjusting heat if necessary). Pour boiling mixture evenly over the crackers. Use an offset spatula to spread evenly over all of the crackers.
Bake for 5-6 minutes, or until bubbling.
Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips on top then return to the oven for another 90 seconds to help chocolate chips melt.
Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate chips with an offset spatula into a smooth melted layer. Add other favorite toppings of your choice.
Cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour or place in the freezer for 20 minutes, until the chocolate is set. Break into pieces and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.