Fresh Cherry Berry Crumble Bars make the perfect easy summer treat. Filled with a sweet and juicy cherry & triple berry filling. Best of all with this simple recipe, the buttery oatmeal streusel crust doubles as the topping.
My favorite part about summer is all the fresh cherries and berries. I can never get enough and most of the time we just enjoy them straight from the bowl but at least once a year, I love tossing whatever summer fruit I have on hand together with a buttery streusel crust.
Fruit crumb bars are my favorite baked dessert and although I have been trying to avoid turning on the oven during the summer, they are absolutely worth heating up the house for.
They are one of the easiest desserts to make from scratch and are such a great way to highlight the wonderful flavors of your favorite summer fruits and berries.
These Fresh Cherry Berry Crumble Bars couldn’t be more simpler to make.
With a buttery oatmeal crust that doubles as the topping and filled with juicy sweet cherries, blueberries and blackberries — you will love all the wonderful textures and flavors in every bite.
I have such a weakness when it comes to streusel topping so I usually reserve making those treats whenever I know we have people to share them with.
I made these bars using a 9 x 9 inch baking pan back in June and they were the perfect size to take along to a summer afternoon tea party we threw which you can read about HERE.
Summer just isn’t summer without one (or several) crumb bars. So whip up a batch for your next barbecue, potluck or summer party or for an indulgent afternoon treat warmed up with a scoop of ice cream.
Fresh Cherry Berry Crumble Bars
Crust and Crumble Topping:
- 2-1/4 cups white whole wheat flour can substitute with all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup butter cold & cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups mixed berries I used fresh blueberries and blackberries but you can substitute with frozen
- 1-1/2 cup fresh sweet cherries pitted and chopped (can also use frozen)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line an 8x8 or 9x9-inch pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, combine the berries and cherries with sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice, and toss to coat. Set aside while you prepare the crumble.
- Make the crumble: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, sugars, baking powder, and salt. With a fork, pastry cutter, or your fingertips, cut butter into flour mixture together until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Press a little bit more than half of the crumble into the bottom of your prepared pan, patting it down evenly.
- Evenly distribute berry mixture over the crust, smoothing it lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over berry layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares or enjoy straight from the pan if desired. Store bars in an airtight container in refrigerator.
**Optional - adding 1/4 cup chopped pecans, walnuts or sliced almonds to the crust would add a nice crunch if desired
More crumb bars: