Key Lime Coffee Cake made with a buttery streusel topping & white chocolate drizzle makes the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack.
I am such a big citrus and coffee cake fan and was so excited to share this recipe. This Lemon Coffee Cake is a favorite at our house and I’ve been wanting to make a key lime version for quite a while.
I found some layered cakes and crumb cakes but no “Key Lime Coffee Cake” so I totally went with it and I’m so glad I did because it was a hit with my family on Easter! Even my mom who doesn’t usually like sweets went back for seconds!
This cake is so simple to make too and best part of all is you won’t even need a mixer!
It has a thick buttery crumb topping and bakes up nice and moist with Greek yogurt, buttermilk and coconut oil.
There’s also a smidgen of shredded coconut sprinkled on top to give it a tropical feel because I am definitely dreaming about sunshine and warmer weather.
The refreshing and tangy flavors of key lime are balanced out by the decadent white chocolate drizzle <– totally optional but definitely a bonus 🙂
It makes an awesome breakfast or an afternoon treat and perfect for the coffee cake lovers in your life!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons fresh key lime juice about 4-5 key limes
- zest from 2 key limes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour can substitute with white whole wheat
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- zest from 1 key lime
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 8 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into ½" pieces
- 2 Tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut optional
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 ounces 1 square white chocolate
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9" springform pan or a 9" x 13" square pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make the streusel: Stir together flour, sugar, and salt together. Cut in the cold butter using two forks or clean hands, then add the lime zest and coconut, if using.
- For the cake: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, then add sugar and mix until smooth. Add Greek yogurt, key lime juice, zest, vanilla, oil, and buttermilk, beating well after each ingredient. Gently fold in the flour mixture, stirring until just incorporated. Be careful NOT to overmix.
- Scrape batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle streusel evenly over the batter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before removing the sides of the springform pan. After 30 minutes, transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- If you've baked the cake in a 9" x 13" pan, serve it right from the pan.
- For the white chocolate glaze: Combine butter and white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. heat on high, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency. Drizzle over cooled cake.
Coffee Cake Muffins / Dessert Now Dinner Later
Baked Coffee Cake Doughnuts / Tried and Tasty
White Chocolate Strawberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake / Eazy Peazy Mealz
Peach Cobbler Coffee Cake / Lemon Tree Dwelling
Blueberry Coffee Cake / Like Mother Like Daughter
Peanut Butter Crumble Coffee Cake / A Kitchen Addiction
Strawberry Coffee Cake / Cupcake Diaries
Maple Pecan Coffee Cake / A Dash of Sanity
Strawberry Peach / Sugar and Soul