Mini puff pastry dough pot pies filled with roasted butternut squash, sweet apple chunks and tender slow cooker pulled pork infused with the sweet and spicy combo of maple syrup, sriracha and hoisin sauce.
We’re finally taking a break from all things pumpkin today and celebrating David from Spiced Blog, with a virtual baby shower!
David and his wife Laura are expecting their first bundle of joy in just a few weeks — a sweet baby boy and a few of us bloggers have gathered together to throw him a party! Having two small kiddos myself, I couldn’t be more excited to be a part of this.
For those of you that know David, he loves grilling and Southern food so we each brought along something to share that fits this theme.
Because like any parent with little ones will soon realize — a meal that you can just throw together and forget about until it’s ready to eat is a winning battle to be celebrated!
This pulled pork cooks up nice and tender after eight hours of simmering away in the crock-pot with some garlic, onions, maple syrup, Sriracha, soy sauce and hoisin sauce.
To keep things on the easier side, we used a package of thawed frozen puff pastry and baked them up in a muffin tray.
These mini pot pies have a Southern Asian fusion vibe going on plus they’re cute and manly at the same time making them totally appropriate for a dude shower.
A big thanks goes out to Chris of Shared Appetite (a new dad himself) for organizing this shower!
Congratulations David and Laura! Welcome to the world of parenthood, we are so happy and excited for you!
- 2 17-ounce sheets frozen puff pastry dough cut into 4 1/4-inch squares
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder
- 4 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup Sriracha or to taste
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce can substitute with gluten free tamari or coconut aminos for paleo-friendly version
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar optional
- 1/2 cup roasted butternut squash diced
- 1/2 cup apples cored, peeled and diced
- 1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Trim pork shoulder of all excess fat. Coat with olive oil and season with kosher salt and pepper. Place pork in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and saute garlic and onions for about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add the maple syrup, Sriracha, hoisin, soy sauce, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, orange juice & brown sugar and cook for about 5 minutes. Spoon sauce over all sides over the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for approximately 8 hours (or high for 4 to 5 hours), until fork tender.
- Shred pork with two forks. Continue to let cook for about 30 more minutes to absorb juices. Discard garlic cloves and onion before serving pork.
- Spray muffin tray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Divide puff pastry square into muffin tins. Keep remaining pastry covered and chilled. Spoon about 1/4 cup pork mixture into each biscuit cup. Top with a few pieces of butternut squash & apple chunks. Drizzle with another 1 tablespoon of sauce over filling. Top with another puff pastry square and pinch the sides of the pastry together. Cut two slits at the top of the pies and brush with egg wash. Place entire muffin tray in the fridge for at least an hour or overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Let the pot pies cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
Refrigerate any leftover pulled pork and use within 3 to 4 days.
Don’t forget to check out the other fabulous recipes for David’s baby shower!
Buffalo Chicken Blue Cheese Hand Pies by American Heritage Cooking
Chocolate Bacon Toffee by Bakerita
Pumpkin Beer Soft Pretzels by Baking A Moment
No Bake Salted Caramel Apple Slice by The Big Man’s World
Philadelphia Cheesesteak – Southern Style by Beer Girl Cooks
Shredded BBQ Chicken Nachos by Blahnik Baker
Cinnamon Churros by Cook With Manali
Grilled Brown Butter Burgers with Swiss + Boubon Mushrooms by Cooking for Keeps
Cider Braised Brisket by Foodness Gracious
Ham Potato and Corn Chowder by Gather For Bread
Mini Croques Monsieur Sandwiches by Hip Foodie Mom
Wolfpack-Style Meatballs by The Iron You
Pecan Praline Popcorn by Jem Of The South
No Bake Pumpkin Cheesecake Pecan Tarts by Kevin Is Cooking
Maple Sriracha Pulled Pork Mini Pies by Life Made Sweeter
Vanilla Almond Snowball Cake by Pizzazzerie
Something Amazing by Real Food By Dad
Cinnamon Bacon Donuts by Runnin Srilankan
Buffalo Garlic Knots by Shared Appetite
Spicy Butternut Bacon Deviled Eggs by Snixy Kitchen
Maple Bourbon Bacon Chocolate Donuts by URBAN BAKES
Vegan White Pizza with Spinach & Basil by Whisk & Shout
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Instagram | Bloglovin
these were delicious! thanks for the recipe!
My mouth watering. Its look so delicious.
Stacey @ Bake.Eat.Repeat. -
Those pot pies are just adorable and those flavours sound incredible! I definitely need to make those soon!