Mini Birthday Mango Mousse Cake is perfect for any special occasion. It’s light, fruity and full of creamy mango mousse over a shortbread crust.
Birthdays are usually no big deal to me but every year as we get closer to the day, the husband likes to playfully
tease remind me that I am getting older and catching up to him.
This year was no exception. Since tomorrow is my birthday, the
teasing reminders have been going on for about a month already.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-W7g6nJAOL1I/UciL4Opa8aI/AAAAAAAAGng/AX6E53ocSCQ/s144-o/IMG_4586.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog2#5893113910535057826″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_4586.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
For as long as I can remember, my parents always got me this simple Sponge Fruit Cake that they purchased at a local Asian Bakery. It was a lighter cake with layers of whipped cream and fruit and to my dismay at the time, it wasn’t overly sweet.
I would never tell them that I secretly wished for the sugary grocery store cakes that a lot of my school friends got for their birthdays.
You see, I really did feel fortunate that my parents with humble means actually purchased me and my brothers a birthday cake every year.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-gNicnBPrCy8/UciL4T5FzGI/AAAAAAAAGnk/E3lTmkL648I/s144-o/IMG_4590.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog2#5893113911942958178″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_4590.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
So back when I first started dating the hubs, he remedied that and would buy me a different type of birthday cake every year, even the sugary grocery store cakes I had longed for as a child.
Now that I am older, my ideal cake is whatever I am craving for at the moment. So this year, I wanted to make a cake to reflect the gorgeous hot and summery patio weather we’ve been having here.
This mango mousse cake definitely hit the spot. It is light and fruity but instead of a sponge cake, I made this with a tender almond shortbread crust with a soft crunch to contrast from the fruity pillowy clouds of mousse filling.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh4.ggpht.com/-k-b6d75hjUQ/UciL3oiFTEI/AAAAAAAAGnY/aJKx-rqWFpc/s144-o/IMG_4569.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog2#5893113900303731778″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_4569.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
As if there aren’t enough yummy elements going on, I also garnished this with piped almond meringues for an extra crunch.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh5.ggpht.com/-zpboZNmFd04/UciL5WyLR5I/AAAAAAAAGoE/0lLPyfNNE9w/s144-o/IMG_4602.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog2#5893113929899132818″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_4602.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Mini Birthday Mango Mousse Cake is perfect for any special occasion. It's light, fruity and full of creamy mango mousse over a shortbread crust.
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 1 cup mango puree I made my own puree with fresh mangoes but you can use frozen
- 2-1/2 tsp gelatin powder
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup finely ground almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Grease and line bottom of 6-8 inch spring form cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
- Grind almonds and granulated sugar in food processor. Blend until ground finely.
Add flour, powdered sugar and salt.
Add butter. Pulse until coarse meal forms.
Press dough evenly onto bottom of prepared pan.
Bake crust uncovered for about 25-30 minutes or until slightly brown and set (rotating pan halfway through).
- In a small bowl, pour gelatin into 1/4 cup of cold water and let sit for 5 minutes until gelatin sets.
In a small saucepan on medium, heat mango puree and sugar until sugar dissolves and is warm.
- Add the gelatin and mix well, till it is completely dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Reserve 1/3 of this mixture for the Mango Jelly topping.
- With a hand mixer, whip the whipping cream till stiff peaks form.
Gently fold the 2/3 of the cooled mango puree into the whipped cream.
Preheat oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a food processor finely grind the slivered almonds. Place ground almonds lined baking sheet and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven. Place in a small bowl, toss in the cornstarch, and set aside to cool.
- Using a hand or stand mixer on medium speed, beat egg whites and pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
Fold in ground almonds until incorporated.
Transfer meringue to a Ziploc or pastry bag and pipe onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes. Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave meringues in the oven until they’re completely dry. When cool, remove meringues from the baking sheet and enjoy.
After the crust has baked, pour the prepared mango mousse over the crust. Let it set in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Pour the reserved mango jelly on top of the mousse. Let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
Gently remove cake from springform pan.
- Decorate and serve chilled.
You may also like:
[pe2-image src=”http://lh4.ggpht.com/-VBfp1vew2wQ/UdqimFohcgI/AAAAAAAAHMI/FJYdiLfsM10/s144-o/.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/July52013#5898205437225955842″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”” pe2_single_image_size=”w500″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
[pe2-image src=”http://lh6.ggpht.com/-x-aomdARd6E/U8kbkQhDEnI/AAAAAAAAQXs/H-GgYd50eFk/s144-o/Mango%252520Orange%252520Coconut%252520Green%252520Smoothie%252520-%252520Life%252520Made%252520Sweeter.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog502#6037387085189681778″ caption=”Mango Orange Coconut Green Smoothie – Life Made Sweeter.jpg” type=”image” alt=”Mango Orange Coconut Green Smoothie – Life Made Sweeter.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w450″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]