5 Ingredient Granola Bars – No Bake – perfect healthy snacks for on the go made in less than 10 minutes using just ONE pot Best of all, NO refined sugar and a great way to refuel before or after a workout. Plus a step-by-step video!
They are so much better and healthier for you than the store-bought granola bars. I love that I can pack them with even more delicious goodies than the boxed versions with ingredients you can easily pronounce.
Another great thing about these homemade granola bars is that they are completely refined-sugar-free. Instead, you’re going to use honey (or coconut nectar for vegan or yacon syrup to lower the carbs ) to sweeten them up. To keep them gluten, be sure to use certified gluten free oats and a gluten free or sugar free chocolate chips.
Plus, since these 5 ingredient granola bars are completely no bake, they are perfect when it’s too hot or you don’t want to turn on your oven. All you need is ONE pot either on the stove or one bowl in the microwave.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE GRANOLA BARS:
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper.
- Heat the almond butter and honey in a large saucepan over very low heat and allow to bubble and thicken for about a minute while continuously stirring.. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the oats, shredded coconut, and chopped almonds until sticky and combined. R
- Press the mixture very firmly in the pan using a spatula. You want everything to be tight and compacted.
- Press the whole almonds on top and use your spatula again to flatten everything down.
- Store the pan in the fridge or freezer to firm up. Cut into bars
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED TO MAKE CHEWY GRANOLA BARS:
- gluten-free oats
- no-stir almond butter (peanut butter or your favorite nut or seed butter would work well)
- honey (use coconut nectar, yacon syrup or date paste for vegan or lower sugar / carb content)
- shredded unsweetened coconut (can also use crispy Rice Cereal, flax seeds or oat flour instead)
- roasted almonds
Optional: chocolate chips, salt, vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin spice, apple pie spice etc.
Feel free to toss in whatever add-ins you want like! Chocolate chips for half of them or keep them on the simple side just as they are.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST GRANOLA BARS:
- Granola bars are great for Sunday meal prep and school lunchboxes and can be made ahead of time. Store in the fridge or freezer so you to keep on hand.
- If your mixture seems too dry, add a little bit more liquid (1 tablespoon warm water or honey) and press with your hands
- Alternatively, if your mixture seems too wet or doughy, add more dry ingredients like oats or coconut
- Chill the granola bars before slicing ensures even slices
- For the chewiest granola bars, you want to make sure everything is tight an compact —> press the dough down firmly using a spatula or clean hands over some parchment paper – you want the bars to be tight an compact to hold together
Interested in more no bake recipes? Check out No Bake Energy Bites – 12 Ways
- 2/3 cup unsalted almond or peanut butter or your favorite nut/seed butter
- 1/2 cup honey can substitute with coconut nectar, 2/3 cup date paste or brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil , optional but recommended since it helps the bars hold better together
- 2 cups oats I used gluten free half rolled and half quick but use what you have on hand
- *2/3 cup almonds chopped (see notes)
- 2 Tablespoons whole almonds
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut can substitute with crispy rice cereal
- pinch salt and ground cinnamon optional, but helps to balance the sweetness & boosts flavor
- Line an 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
In a large pot, melt almond butter, honey and coconut oil (if using) over medium-heat until the mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove the pot. (At this point, you can add vanilla, cinnamon and salt, if using).
Fold in oats, shredded coconut, and chopped almonds. reserving the whole almonds for topping.
Transfer the mixture into the prepared pan while pressing down very firmly and flattening with a spatula until tight and compressed. Press the reserved whole almonds down into the bars, evenly spaced apart. Press in some chocolate chips or any other add-ins of your choice.
Press down with spatula one more time so everything is nicely packed and compact. Place the pan in the freezer (or fridge) until hardened, about 1 hour. When the bars are set, use the parchment paper to lift them from the pan. Slice into even bars.
- Bars are softer when left out at room temperature. For best results, store bars in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to enjoy.
*can also use 1/2 cup of almond flour or oat flour instead of the 2/3 cup of chopped almonds
Bars are best enjoyed cooled straight from the fridge or freezer. When warmed they don't hold together as well.