Oatmeal carmelitas are soft & chewy oatmeals bars filled with a gooey caramel filling and oozing chocolate. These bars are seriously so irresistible & perfect for sharing!
I can still remember making these for the first time I made them for my husband. Seeing how fast he finished off the entire batch was the best feeling. This is saying a lot since he is not usually a fan of oat bars.
There are a few separate layers that come together fairly easily. The crust and topping are made with the same mixture. It’s a buttery, soft and chewy oatmeal and flour mixture.
The gooey filling is melted caramel & heavy cream — it takes a bit of time to unwrap 30+ caramels or just use these (affiliate link —>) caramel bits which will save you about 2.5 minutes 🙂
Once it cools, pour over the layer of chocolate chips, and crumble the reserved oatmeal mixture over the top.
These bars are rich, decadent and loaded with an intense caramel flavor. They’re full of texture and the perfect cure for those times you just need that extra special dessert.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 32 unwrapped caramel squares or 11 ounce bag of caramel bits
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter melted
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats use gluten free as needed
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour use oat flour for gluten free
- 1 cup chocolate chips I like dark but semi-sweet works as well
- Mini chocolate chips
- caramel sauce for drizzling
- chopped pecans
- Add the caramel, heavy cream and salt into a small saucepan over low heat. Cook and stir until smooth and combined. Set aside to cool.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8x8 inch square pan with parchment paper or foil sprayed with cooking spray, leaving a slight overhang to easily remove bars.
- Stir together melted butter, brown sugar, flour, and oats until combined.
- Pour half of the oatmeal mixture into the prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips over the crust. Pour caramel mixture over chocolate chips, then sprinkle the remaining crust dough over the caramel, pressing down slightly.
- Return pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting. Place in fridge or freezer to speed up the process.
- When cooled, remove bars using overhang and cut into squares. Top with more chocolate chips, chopped pecans, and caramel drizzle if desired.
Slightly dapted from: Lulu the Baker
More Oatmeal Bars:
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here: