Peppermint Eggnog Cupcakes combine two favorite holiday flavors in one delectable treat!
You might remember that my insanely enthusiastic husband puts up our Christmas tree every year immediately after Halloween.
In the past, I’ve always tried to tell him to hold back but now that we have two little ones who squeal with excitement every time we turn on the Christmas lights, I have learned to just go with the flow.
So, you guessed it….our house has already been decked for over a month, we’ve sung (bellowed) our fair share of Christmas carols and our house smells like a bakery full of peppermint, eggnog and gingerbread treats which is totally okay in my book 🙂
At first I wasn’t sure how the flavors would mesh but just one bite of these cupcakes sent my husband straight into Christmas bliss.
They start off with a soft and fluffy chocolate cupcake base with a hint of peppermint extract that compliments the rich chocolate flavor perfectly. A generous swirl of creamy eggnog frosting followed by drizzles of melted chocolate and a few sprinkles of crushed candy canes and Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins.
It’s a deliciously festive cupcake and guaranteed to warm your heart and fill your belly with Christmas cheer ♥
- 3/4 cup flour spoon & sweep method
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 Tablespoons eggnog
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 ounces semi-sweet baking chocolate melted or chocolate syrup
- crushed candy canes
- crushed Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard muffin pan with paper cupcake liners.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together.
- In the bowl of stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the egg, milk, oil, peppermint, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Add boiling water and stir to combine.
- Divide the batter equally into prepared muffin tin filling to about three-quarters full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean Remove pan from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat softened butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Add eggnog, cinnamon, nutmeg and mix until smooth.
- If necessary, add more eggnog or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top with crushed candy canes and crushed Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins right before serving.
These cupcakes were so easy to whip up thanks to the new OXO Illumination Digital Hand Mixer I was able to test out recently. Although I have a stand mixer at home, there are many days I don’t feel like lugging it out or washing the large bowl.
This OXO digital hand mixer is sleek, compact and packed with enough power to get your job done without a lot of effort. The beaters snap on and off for easy storage and the soft-touch controls allow you to smoothly adjust mixing speed between six speeds from light mixing to heavy whipping.
More peppermint treats:
Disclaimer: I received the product for review purposes. All opinions expressed are my own