Peppermint Mocha Cupcakes have all the beloved flavors of the Starbucks drink in a delectable dessert. Perfect for the holidays!
Back when I used to commute to work, there were around five or so Starbucks on my walk to the office from the train. I could easily pass right by them without a thought since I am not really much of a coffee drinker. But anytime they released their holiday flavors, I simply had to line up to get myself one.
The Peppermint Mocha Lattes were among one of my favorites.
It’s what cupcake dreams are made of, well my cupcake dreams and hopefully yours too ♥
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour spoon & sweep method
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder sifted
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate melted or can use chocolate syrup
- crushed candy canes
- crushed Andes Peppermint Crunch Thins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a standard cupcake tin with paper cupcake liners.
- Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt together.
- In the bowl of stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat together the egg, milk, oil, peppermint, and vanilla. Slowly add the flour mixture and beat on medium speed with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue mixing on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix instant coffee with boiling water in a measuring cup and stir into batter until well combined.
- Divide the batter equally into prepared muffin tin filling to about three-quarters full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or tops are firm and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean Remove pan from oven and allow cupcakes to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and let cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting: Beat softened butter with a hand or stand mixer on medium speed. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Add vanilla, peppermint extract and heavy cream and mix until smooth.
- If necessary, add more heavy cream or powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost cooled cupcakes. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Top with crushed candy canes and peppermint Andes chips right before serving.
More peppermint treats: