Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pecan Pudding Cake – an easy crock-pot dessert perfect for freeing up your oven. Like a hot fudge sundae cake but full of warm and cozy spices with a delicious sauce that forms beneath the cake. Plus a step-by-step video.
With fall just around the corner, slow cooker recipes are back in full force around here. I actually love using my slow cooker all year long but once the school season arrives, it’s a total must for helping us get through the busy weeknights.
Besides no bake, slow cooker desserts are one of my favorite things to make. This gooey Pumpkin Pecan Pudding Cake was actually a request from my stepdad who usually helps me take most of the desserts I make off my hands.
He grew up on a gooey chocolate pudding cake from his mom and grandma, who were both amazing bakers. Since he is a huge pumpkin lover, I thought I would shake things up a bit with a cozy fall version instead.
It’s super easy to whip up and the entire cake cooks up in the crock-pot in just under two hours. The results are soft and gooey and full of pumpkin and brown sugary goodness in every bite.
The best part about this cake is the hidden layer of warm brown sugar pudding underneath, almost like molten lava. So gooey and irresistible!
Serve warm with a spoonful of sauce and and top with a scoop of some creamy vanilla ice cream to make this the perfect fall treat.
I’ve also included directions on how to bake this in the oven if you prefer. You can also sprinkle some chopped nuts into the batter for an extra crunch.
More holiday goodies:
More yummy cakes from across the web:
Hot Fudge Pudding Cake – A Family Feast
Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake – Sally’s Baking Addiction
Pudding Cake – Six Sister’s Stuff
Homemade Lemon Pudding Cake – The Kitchen Magpie
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pecan Pudding Cake
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pecan Pudding Cake is full of warm and cozy spices with a delicious sauce that forms beneath the cake.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose (white whole wheat flour works wonderfully too) (measured correctly - spoon and sweep method)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (- linkhomemade or store-bought)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk (can use almond milk for vegan)
- 2/3 cup canned pure pumpkin or pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 25 whole pecans (feel free to add chopped pecans and stir into the batter instead)
- 1 1/3 cups very hot or boiling water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar (to remove any lumps), baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add milk, pumpkin and melted butter and using a wooden spoon, mix until just combined.
- Spread batter into the bottom of the slow cooker (a 4 or 5 quart work best)
- Top with pecans, pressing firmly into the batter.
- Add brown sugar and water into a small sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until simmering and sugar dissolves. Carefully pour into slow cooker over the batter. (The nuts may float around but this is okay)
- Place two paper towels or a large cheesecloth over the top of the slow cooker (this prevents any steam from dripping on the cake) then carefully place lid on top and cook on high for 1 - 2 1/4 hours (depending on how hot your slow cooker runs - mine was done after 1 hour and 45 minutes), or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.(check on cake at 1 hour then every 30 minutes after)
- Serve warm, spooning sauce from bottom of pan over cake and with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Adapted from Martha Stewart
*To Bake Cake in the oven - spread batter into a 8x8 square pan, 2 1/2 quart casserole or 9" pie pan, then pour brown sugar/hot water mixture over and bake at 350 F for 32 to 39 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!