These healthy Shrimp Tacos are easy to make in under 30 minutes with shredded cabbage, avocado, tomatoes and a zest seasoning. They’re low carb, keto, paleo and perfect for lunch or dinner! Serve them in a bowl or over lettuce wraps to make them Whole30 compliant.
Updated January 2019
Easy Shrimp Taco Recipe
My family is obsessed with anything Mexican inspired so I am always trying to switch things up. These easy Shrimp Tacos are easy to make and perfect for summer or anytime you’re craving something lighter and healthier.
Plus, they’re easy to customize with your favorite toppings and you can use your favorite low carb, keto, paleo or grain-free tortillas that you like or have on hand. You can also serve the shrimp taco filling in lettuce cups or a bowl for Whole30 shrimp tacos.
All you need is 30 minutes for this low carb shrimp taco recipe making it perfect for a busy weeknight or anytime you want healthy tacos.
What I love about shrimp is how quickly they are to make. You can pan-fry them on a skillet or cook them on the barbecue for grilled shrimp tacos.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
- large or jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed (you can use fresh or frozen and thawed)
- olive oil OR avocado oil
- garlic powder
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- taco seasoning OR you can use your own taco blend with smoked paprika, cumin and chili powder
FOR THE CILANTRO LIME SAUCE:
- medium avocado
- Whole30 compliant mayo OR sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE TACOS:
- Siete Almond Flour tortillas – you can also use your favorite corn tortillas or flour tortillas if not gluten-free, paleo or low carb
- shredded green cabbage and purple cabbage – can also use kale slaw
- cherry tomatoes
- sliced jalapeno, for garnish optional
HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP TACOS:
- SEASON SHRIMP with salt, pepper, taco seasoning, lime juice and garlic powder.
- COOK SHRIMP: Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil and swirl to coat pan. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque and just cooked through – about 4-5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate and add a squeeze of lime.
- FOR GRILLED SHRIMP TACOS: Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and brush grill lightly with oil (using long tongs with a paper towel). Place shrimp on grill and cook until just opaque, about 1.5 – 2 minutes per side. Cover to keep shrimp warm.
- MAKE THE SAUCE: While the shrimp is cooking, you can prep and chop the vegetables and make the cilantro lime sauce in a high speed blender or a food processor.
- CHAR OR BROIL tortillas and assemble with toppings.
ARE SHRIMP TACOS HEALTHY?
Yes, these easy shrimp tacos are not only delicious, they are packed with protein and tons of healthy and fresh low carb veggies. To make Whole30 Shrimp Taco Bowls, simple serve over a bed of lettuce, cauliflower rice or in lettuce wraps.
HOW MANY CALORIES ARE IN SHRIMP TACOS?
The macro-nutrients for one serving is:
- 269 calories
- 5g Net Carbs – 12g Total Carbs – 7g Fiber
- 19g Protein
- 14g Fat
Spicy shrimp tacos are so versatile and would also go well with some mango salsa, avocado salsa, diced tomatoes, chopped red onions, guacamole – feel free to go crazy and get even more creative!
No matter what you decide to top these delicious tacos with, they would be amazing for lunch, dinner or as an appetizer for your next summer party.
More shrimp recipes:
These healthy Shrimp Tacos are easy to make in under 30 minutes with shredded cabbage, avocado, tomatoes and a zest seasoning. They're low carb, keto, paleo and perfect for lunch or dinner! Serve them in a bowl or over lettuce wraps to make them Whole30 compliant.
- 1 pound large or jumbo shrimp peeled, deveined, and tails removed (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons avocado oil OR olive oil , divided
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tsps Primal Palate taco seasoning OR use your favorite taco seasoning blend
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon Whole30 compliant mayo OR sour cream
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon cilantro
- salt and black pepper , to taste
- 1 avocado , pitted and cut into chunks
- 1 lime
- 6 Siete Almond Flour Tortillas OR use your favorite corn, flour or low carb tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 5 cup grape tomatoes , sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked cauliflower rice
- sliced jalapenos , optional to taste
In a large bowl, drizzle the shrimp with 1 teaspoon oil. Season with salt and pepper then sprinkle with taco seasoning. Toss to coat evenly and allow to marinate while you prepare the toppings and avocado cream.
Add the avocado, mayo, cilantro, lime to a high speed blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add water as needed, to thin out sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium-high heat. Add the remaining oil and swirl to coat pan. Add the shrimp and cook until pink and opaque and just cooked through - about 4-5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate and add a squeeze of lime.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Clean and brush grill lightly with oil (using long tongs with a paper towel).
Place shrimp on grill and cook until just opaque, about 1.5 - 2 minutes per side. Cover to keep shrimp warm.
Char the tortillas on a gas stove or broil in the oven until the edges are lightly burnt. Fill each tortilla with avocado cream, cauliflower rice, cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, shrimp and cilantro. Serve with jalapeno and extra lime if desired.