Slow Cooker Meatloaf makes the perfect comforting meal! Best of all, it’s so easy to customize with whatever veggies you have on hand.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh4.ggpht.com/-TovV2z-bOBs/Ulu9mJ2sCqI/AAAAAAAAJts/8Ye9kS3S7cA/s144-o/meatloaf.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog3#5934545397168736930″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”meatloaf.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w600″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
Now that the weather is getting chillier, my slow cooker has made a regular reappearance in our kitchen. I love how helpful they are. You just throw the food in and then several hours later – dinner is ready 🙂
It really doesn’t get much easier than that. They’re also great for lazy Sunday’s when you just want to lounge around and not have to worry about slaving away for a great meal which means more time to spend with loved ones:)
My husband is a big meat eater and has come a long way since I met him. He has ow incorporated a lot more veggies and fruit into his diet. But if it were up to him, he would choose a hearty meaty meal everyday.
Since this is his birthday week, he made a special request for meatloaf.
I’ve made meatloaf for him many times in the past, but since yesterday felt like a lazy Sunday, I thought it would be a great opportunity to test one out in the crock pot.
I adapted a few recipes I found and used a combination of ground pork and beef and some homemade seasoned bread crumbs but feel free to use any breadcrumbs you have.
The sauce was made with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, brown sugar and red wine vinegar. I also snuck in some diced veggies for good measure.
[pe2-image src=”http://lh5.ggpht.com/-M5iomLvdYeM/UlulORsQ8BI/AAAAAAAAJtg/vkcFG0OgqkY/s144-o/IMG_8028.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog3#5934518598676574226″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_8028.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w500″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
This was the easiest no fuss meatloaf I have made since I didn’t have to worry about it getting overcooked in the oven. I loved that I didn’t have to check on it for a few hours after throwing everything into the crock pot set on low.
The hubs even said this was the juiciest and most tender meatloaf I have ever made and couldn’t get enough of it. There are still
[pe2-image src=”http://lh3.ggpht.com/-YbDpKf0qdMw/UlulPhTBqFI/AAAAAAAAJtQ/lx8CTLNsPMY/s144-o/IMG_8035.jpg” href=”https://picasaweb.google.com/104357654632449509020/Blog3#5934518620045551698″ caption=”” type=”image” alt=”IMG_8035.jpg” pe2_single_image_size=”w500″ pe2_img_align=”center” ]
This slow cooker meatloaf recipe is so easy to make and perfect for a weeknight meal. Pair with veggies and mashed potatoes for a classic, wholesome meal!
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup ketchup , use Whole30 or low carb brand as needed)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 2/3 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 lb lean ground pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs , can use low carb brand as needed or leave out for Whole30
- 1/4 cup golden monk fruit sweetener OR coconut sugar / brown sugar if not low carb
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley , finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 stalks of celery , diced
- 1 large onion , minced
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 cup ketchup , use Whole30 or low carb brand as needed)
- 1/2 cup golden monk fruit sweetener OR coconut sugar / brown sugar if not low carb
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce , (use Whole30 compliant as needed)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper optional or to taste
- In a small bowl whisk together the ketchup, vinegar, sweetener, mustard and cayenne pepper, Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, mustard, and hot sauce together. Throw the breadcrumbs into the mixture and let it soak for at least 5 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, sweetener, salt, pepper, thyme and marjoram. Add the celery, parsley garlic and onion and combine well.
- Pour the milk/breadcrumbs mixture with the ground meat.
- Using your hands knead the meat mixture to combine ingredients and shape into a loaf.
Line slow cooker with a crockpot liner or 2 pieces of foil to make a sling for easier removal. Coat with non-stick spray.
Place meat loaf into slow cooker and brush a quarter to half of the sauce over the top and sides of meat.
Cover and cook on high for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover and cook for another 3-4 hours until cooked through and no pink remains in the meat.
- Brush with more sauce and cook on high for another 10 minutes. Reserve the rest of sauce for serving.
- Let meat stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve with more sauce and your favorite sides and veggies.
Feel free to omit the hot sauce and cayenne pepper for less heat.
Every slow cooker setting cooks at various temperatures so feel free to adjust the cooking time according to your manufacturer's suggestions.
Adapted from: “GMA” and Foodiewife
Breadcrumbs from: Moroccan Food
You might also like these other slow cooker meals: