Watermelon Strawberry and Basil Salad – a light and refreshing salad perfect for summer. Best of all, it’s so easy to make and ready in under 15 minutes. Made with fresh summer strawberries, peaches, pineapple and basil drizzled with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
Watermelon might just be my favorite thing to eat this summer.
Cold, juicy, refreshing and sweet all on its own. What’s even better? Toss some into a salad full of summer’s best in-season fruit.
Salads happen regularly around here especially during the warmer months and this Watermelon Strawberry and Basil Salad is our latest favorite.
Recipe for Watermelon Strawberry and Basil Salad
It has so many good things I love about summer. You can’t beat how easy it is to put together. Just a few minutes of some easy chopping, and you can easily swap in whatever fruit you have on hand.
I loaded mine up with some sweet strawberries, juicy peach and tropical pineapples over a bed of finely chopped cabbage and kale. Arugula or spinach would also be great in here.
As for the dressing, I made an easy 4-ingredient Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette. It’s just balsamic vinegar, honey, some Italian seasoning and olive oil.
Simple, tart and slightly sweet and any extras can be stored in the fridge to use throughout the week. Just give it a good mix before serving.
Finally, crumbled feta and chopped pecans are tossed in for some added texture and flavor. And to keep this dish dairy free and nut free, you can totally leave them out.
This salad would make an awesome lunch or light dinner. You can serve it with your favorite grilled protein or bring it along to your next barbecue or summer cocktail party.
Easy, refreshing and totally screams summer.
Watermelon Strawberry and Basil Salad
Watermelon Strawberry and Basil Salad - a light and refreshing salad perfect for summer. Best of all, it's so easy to make and ready in under 15 minutes. Made with fresh summer strawberries, peaches, pineapple and basil drizzled with a simple balsamic vinaigrette.
- Balsamic Honey Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
For the salad
- 2 cups finely chopped stemmed kale
- 2 cups finely chopped cabbage I used a mix of green and purple
- 1 1/2 cups cubed watermelon
- 1/2 cup halved fresh strawberries
- 1 peach sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup fresh diced pineapple
- 3 tablespoons basil chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans optional
- 2 tablespoons feta crumbled (optional)
- For the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together all the ingredients for the vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper and set aside in the fridge to chill ready to toss salad. Be sure to give it a quick stir right before tossing.
- For the salad: Fill a large bowl with the chopped kale and cabbage. Drizzle with half of the vinaigrette and toss together. Allow to sit for a few minutes for the leaves to soften. Add watermelon, strawberries, peach,pineapple and 1 tablespoon of basil. Gently toss and divide into bowls.
- Top with remaining basil, pecans and feta if desired. Drizzle with additional vinaigrette and season with black pepper and salt. Serve immediately.
More summer favorites: