Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Ground Pork and Napa Cabbage

Shanghai Noodles makes the perfect EASY weeknight meal. Best of all, takes only 20 minutes to make with stir-fried pork, Napa cabbage and garlic covered in a rich and flavorful sauce. Skip the takeout — this authentic dish is so much better!

Shanghai Fried Noodles is the perfect easy weeknight meal!
Updated with new photos April 2016 from original October 2013 post

If you are looking for more slow cooker and Asian recipes, be sure to check out my {Slow Cooker}  AND {Asian Inspired} Pinterest boards, and follow along for some more ideas!

Shanghai Fried Noodles was one of our favorite dishes we had on our visit to Shanghai a few years ago.  It was the second day on our trip and we were wandering around the city when we passed by a restaurant that seemed to be a hit with the locals. We went inside and since we both don’t speak much Mandarin, we were so happy to see that there was a big menu on display while you waited in line along with bright pretty pictures.

The hubs and I love any type of stir-fried noodles so we decided to order a plate of Shanghai Noodles along with a few other local dishes. I’m not sure if it was from walking around all day or that we were just hungry but it was one the most amazing noodles we’ve had!

Shanghai Fried Noodles is the perfect easy weeknight meal!

I’ve been trying to recreate those noodles ever since we got back from our trip and I’m so happy to say that these were our favorite batch.  The great thing about Shanghai Noodles is that it’s actually really easy to make.  Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it can be made and on the table in under 30 minutes.

What makes this authentic noodle dish unique is that it’s typically made using thick and chewier noodles.  The chewy texture pairs perfectly with the savory and delicious flavor from the sauce and meat. If you can’t find fresh Shanghai noodles, you can try substituting with udon noodles or cooked fettuccine noodles instead.

And although it’s generally made with pork, you can definitely swap it out for chicken or any other protein of your choice.  Or simply leave out the meat and replace it with some mushrooms if you want to keep this a meatless dish.

Shanghai Noodles are perfect for weeknights since it comes together quickly.  It’s now on regular rotation at our house since my kids love slurping these noodles up!

Shanghai Fried Noodles is the perfect easy weeknight meal!

Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Ground Pork and Napa Cabbage

Yields 4

Stir-Fried Shanghai Noodles made with stir-fried pork, Napa cabbage, garlic and a rich and flavorful sauce. You can skip the take-out with this super easy and delicious meal!

12 minPrep Time

15 minCook Time

27 minTotal Time

Save Recipe

Ingredients

1 lb (484 grams) fresh Shanghai-style noodles (can substitute with Udon or cooked fettuccine noodles)

1/2 – 1 pound lean ground pork

1/4 teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

SAUCE

2 tablespoons water

1 1/2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

1/2 tablespoon sesame oil

1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce

3 teaspoons dark soy sauce*

2 teaspoons Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry

1 teaspoon brown sugar

1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper

1 tablespoon cornstarch

¼ teaspoon Sriracha sauce or red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)

1 ½ tablespoons grated fresh ginger

2 garlic cloves, finely minced

TOPPINGS

2/3 cups thinly shredded Napa cabbage

1 green onion, thinly sliced

Sesame seeds, for garnish

Instructions

1. In a medium bowl, marinate ground pork with salt and pepper. In another small bowl, whisk together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
  2. Heat cooking oil in a wok or heavy skillet on medium high heat. Sauté half of the garlic and ginger for one minute, or until fragrant. Crumble ground pork, breaking up large lumps, and cook until meat is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Mix in cabbage and stir-fry until tender. Add in noodles, breaking up strands if necessary and pour sauce on top. Toss to combine to coat with sauce. Adjust seasonings as needed and add Sriracha or red pepper chili flakes, for some heat, if desired.
  3. Remove from heat and garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.

Notes

If you can't find dark soy sauce, replace with 3 teaspoons soy sauce instead.

Calories
36 cal
Fat
2 g
Carbs
4 g
Protein
1 g

Click Here For Full Nutrition, Exchanges, and My Plate Info

Products I used in this recipe:

More Noodles:

Easy Lo Mein Noodles

Easy Chicken Lo Mein makes a delicious weeknight meal & way better than takeout!

Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein Noodles

Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein {Crockpot}

Slow Cooker Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles

Slow Cooker Vegetable Lo Mein by @LifeMadeSweeter
Shrimp Lo Mein Noodles
Shrimp Lo Mein makes the perfect easy weeknight meal! Skip the takeout, this is SO much better!!

Classic Chicken Chow Mien

Chicken Chow Mein is so easy to make and makes the perfect weeknight meal! Forget calling takeout, this is so much better!

Chicken Fried Rice Noodles with Black Bean Sauce

IMG_9761.jpg
Healthy Chicken Chow Mein Zoodles
Healthy Chicken Chow Mein Zoodles makes the perfect easy weeknight meal
ShanghaI Fried Noodles is the perfect easy weeknight meal!

If you make this or any of my recipes, I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!

Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter. You can also stay connected with me on:
Feedly | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Instagram | Bloglovin | YouTube |

Lovely comments

1. Gina - Dinner serves Five says:

Thanks for the recipe! Always looking for new noodle dishes and this looks lovely!

2. Oh yum! Looks delicious. I’m always looking for new ways to make noodles. Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe.

3. Marla @ One Dish Wonderfuls says:

I also visited Shanghai a few years back and loved this dish! Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it some time.

4. Sarah - Dine and Dishes says:

Yum, this noodle dish looks amazing!

5. Adding this to the list of recipes to try, I love Shanghai noodles when I order them here in restaurants, would love to be able to make my own!

• Thanks Pamela! That’s how I felt before too but I am happy I am able to make this at home now. Please let me me know how it turns out if you give it a try:)

6. This looks so tasty! I am going to make it. Keep the asian dishes coming because I want to try them out.

7. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I am planning to make this dish with just vegetables, but is the corn starch mix still needed when making this meal? Thanks for the help.

• Hi Ian, the cornstarch/potato starch mixture is not absolutely necessary but it makes the sauce thicker and into a nice gravy. The resulting noodles will still have a nice flavor but there won’t be any thick gravy sauce to coat the noodles which I think enhances the flavor but it can certainly be left out. Thanks for stopping by and hope the noodles turn out for you :)

8. Does the size of the pot for boiling the water in for the noodles make a difference? When mine was cooking…the water got thick..like a slurry almost.

Mine didn’t look as nice as yours but the taste was really good! Will make again.

• Hi Wendy, I didn’t boil the noodles as I used fresh shanghai noodles and simply added them into the wok as I was stir frying. If you are using dry noodles, you would cook those first before stir frying the other ingredients and add the noodles into the wok once you have stir-fried the meat and veggies. The size of the pot shouldn’t matter as long as you cook the dry noodles according to the package instructions. Hope that helps and glad you enjoyed the taste of the noodles though :) Thanks for stopping by :)

9. its so yummy to read your articles. simply mouth watering…

10. Catherine McP says:

Hi, was just wondering if thats 2 lbs of ground pork or 1/2 lb? This looks really great and I have fresh Shanghai noodles right now. Thanks!

• Hi Catherine, I used 1/2 lb of ground pork but feel free to use more or less if you prefer and adjust the amount of seasoning according to how much you use:) Thanks so much for stopping by and hope that helps and you like how it turns out:)
      P.S I just updated my website theme so that’s why the hearts seem to cover the beginning of the recipes but if you click on save or print recipe, the hearts disappear:)

11. I made this tonight and my husband and I absolutely loved it!!!! I used 1lb ground pork and doubled the sauce. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Hi Lindsey, I’m so glad to hear that you and your husband loved this:) It is one of our favorite noodle dishes too! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know and so happy to have you here :)

12. The recipe looks so delicious! I love noodles stir-fry and yours look really good! Will definitely try out the recipe :)
    Maggie recently posted…Bang Bang Chicken

13. Hi Kelly,

I am a noddle lover and want to try this recipe, I have some questions :
    1. @step 4 : do we use 1/2 of each the garlic and the ginger ?
    2. I don’t see the use of the 1/2 Tbs oyster sauce or did I miss it ?

Thank you so much !
    Eka

• Hi Eka,
      Thanks for your e-mail. At step 4, yes you use half of the garlic and ginger when you fry the pork and use the other half when you fry the cabbage. Sorry about that, the oyster sauce gets added to the rest of the sauce ingredients. Good luck and hope that helps and you enjoy this noodle dish as much as we do :)
      Kelly

14. This sounds awesome. I seriously want to make this right now!
    Elisa recently posted…2014 in review: the best food, drinks and recipes I enjoyed this year!

15. Cookingcutie11 says:

This was fantastic! I made it for dinner last night using ground turkey, and 8 oz of dried lo mien noodles. The sauce was delicious, and I added a little bit of fermented black beans in chili paste for some added heat when I was cooking the cabbage. This was easy and I would make it again.

16. Jessie Yung says:

Thank you! This was a hit for the whole family. I doubled the recipe and it was perfect!

17. I’ve made this twice; it’s delicious! No more take-out noodles for us!

18. Even though it’s been several years since you posted this recipe, I just want to thank you for posting it :) I don’t know how I came across this originally but after noticing that I had many of the ingredients on hand, decided to make this. It came out perfectly even though I used garlic and ginger powder because I didn’t have any fresh ones on hand. I also threw in some leftover white bottom mushroom and baby bok choy. It was so good that my mother approved of it and my sister had seconds! And she’s definitely a picky vegetable eater.

• I’m so happy to hear that, Val! It’s definitely one of our favorite dishes. Your changes sound awesome and yay that your sister and mom like it too! Thanks so much for coming back to let me know :)

19. This looks so comforting, and a nice way to make takeout at home too.
    Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy recently posted…Comment on Spinach and Tomato Breakfast Flatbread by Dannii

20. I’ve never had Shanghai Noodles and I’m totally wondering where these have been my whole life! Talk about crazy delicious, Kelly! Loving all the flavors and how quick this is to throw together! I have a feeling these will be on the menu weekly at our house! Pinned! Cheers, sweets! <3

Trackbacks