Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Ground Pork and Napa Cabbage

The best Shanghai Noodles with the most authentic flavorful sauce is so EASY to make in just 20 minutes using stir-fried pork, Napa cabbage, garlic drenched in a rich and flavorful sauce.  You can skip the take-out with this super easy and delicious meal!

Perfect Shanghai Fried Noodles are so easy to make & perfect for weeknights

Shanghai Fried Noodles was one of our favorite dishes we had when we visited Shanghai  a few years ago.  My husband and I love any type of stir-fried noodles but the first time we tried Shanghai Noodles, the flavors were just mind blowing!

I make a lot of Asian noodles regularly and I was so excited when I was able to recreate the flavors for our favorite dish we had many years ago.  The great thing about Shanghai Noodles is that it’s actually really easy to make.  Once you have all the ingredients on hand, it can be made and on the table in under 30 minutes.

What makes this authentic noodle dish unique is that it’s typically made using thick and chewier noodles.  The chewy texture pairs perfectly with the savory and delicious flavor from the sauce and meat.

Perfect Shanghai Fried Noodles are so easy to make & perfect for weeknights

And although it’s generally made with pork, you can definitely swap it out for chicken or any other protein of your choice.  Or simply leave out the meat and replace it with some mushrooms if you want to keep this a meatless dish.

This dish works best if you are able to find the fresh thick and chewy noodles from your local Asian supermarket.  If not, a great substitute would be either Udon, Fettucine or even thick spaghetti noodles.

Shanghai Noodles are perfect for weeknights since it comes together quickly.  It’s always a hit with my family and my kids love slurping these noodles up!

Perfect Shanghai Fried Noodles are so easy to make & perfect for weeknights

Stir Fried Shanghai Noodles with Ground Pork and Napa Cabbage
Prep time
Cook time
Stir-Fried Shanghai Noodles made with stir-fried pork, Napa cabbage, garlic and a rich and flavorful sauce. You can skip the take-out with this super easy and delicious meal!
Yields: 4 Servings
  • 1 lb package of Shanghai noodles, fresh (or substitute with thick Udon, fettucine or spaghetti noodles)
  • ½ lb ground pork
  • 1½ tablespoons fresh ginger, finely minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • ½ head Napa cabbage, thinly sliced

• Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • ½ tablespoon dark soy sauce
  • ½ tablespoon oyster sauce
  • 2 teaspoons Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
  • 1 teaspoon of brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon of white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon of potato or cornstarch, dissolved in ½ cup of water
  • Sriracha sauce (optional)
  • salt and black pepper to taste
  1. Marinate the ground pork with salt, pepper and ½ teaspoon of soy sauce.
  2. Wash and dry the Napa cabbage. Slice thinly and set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, add sesame oil, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, Chinese cooking wine, brown sugar, white pepper, salt and black pepper and stir. Set aside. Combine potato starch and warm water to another small bowl and set aside.
  4. **If using dry noodles, cook according to package instructions first and drain.
  5. Heat the oil in a wok or heavy skillet on medium high heat and fry half of the the minced garlic and ginger for one minute.
  6. Stir in the pork and cook until done. Remove the pork and set aside.
  7. Add the other half of the ginger and garlic and cook for one minute. Add the cabbage and stir until tender.
  8. Add the pork back into the wok and stir for 30 seconds
  9. Toss in the noodles.
  10. Add the sauce ingredients and toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste and/or Sriracha for some spice.
  11. Add the potato/corn starch water. Toss well for another minute to combine.
  12. Remove from heat and toss with sesame seeds and serve immediately.
Source: Life Made Sweeter

Products I used in this recipe:

More Noodles:

Easy Lo Mein Noodles

Easy Chicken Lo Mein makes a delicious weeknight meal & way better than takeout!

Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein Noodles

Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein {Crockpot}

Slow Cooker Vegetable Lo Mein Noodles

Slow Cooker Vegetable Lo Mein by @LifeMadeSweeter

Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter. You can also stay connected with me on:
Feedly | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Instagram | Bloglovin | YouTube |

Lovely comments

1. Gina - Dinner serves Five says:

Thanks for the recipe! Always looking for new noodle dishes and this looks lovely!

2. Oh yum! Looks delicious. I’m always looking for new ways to make noodles. Thanks for sharing your lovely recipe.

3. Marla @ One Dish Wonderfuls says:

I also visited Shanghai a few years back and loved this dish! Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it some time.

4. Sarah - Dine and Dishes says:

Yum, this noodle dish looks amazing!

5. Adding this to the list of recipes to try, I love Shanghai noodles when I order them here in restaurants, would love to be able to make my own!

• Thanks Pamela! That’s how I felt before too but I am happy I am able to make this at home now. Please let me me know how it turns out if you give it a try:)

6. This looks so tasty! I am going to make it. Keep the asian dishes coming because I want to try them out.

7. Thanks for sharing this recipe! I am planning to make this dish with just vegetables, but is the corn starch mix still needed when making this meal? Thanks for the help.

• Hi Ian, the cornstarch/potato starch mixture is not absolutely necessary but it makes the sauce thicker and into a nice gravy. The resulting noodles will still have a nice flavor but there won’t be any thick gravy sauce to coat the noodles which I think enhances the flavor but it can certainly be left out. Thanks for stopping by and hope the noodles turn out for you :)

8. Does the size of the pot for boiling the water in for the noodles make a difference? When mine was cooking…the water got a slurry almost.

Mine didn’t look as nice as yours but the taste was really good! Will make again.

• Hi Wendy, I didn’t boil the noodles as I used fresh shanghai noodles and simply added them into the wok as I was stir frying. If you are using dry noodles, you would cook those first before stir frying the other ingredients and add the noodles into the wok once you have stir-fried the meat and veggies. The size of the pot shouldn’t matter as long as you cook the dry noodles according to the package instructions. Hope that helps and glad you enjoyed the taste of the noodles though :) Thanks for stopping by :)

9. its so yummy to read your articles. simply mouth watering…

10. Catherine McP says:

Hi, was just wondering if thats 2 lbs of ground pork or 1/2 lb? This looks really great and I have fresh Shanghai noodles right now. Thanks!

• Hi Catherine, I used 1/2 lb of ground pork but feel free to use more or less if you prefer and adjust the amount of seasoning according to how much you use:) Thanks so much for stopping by and hope that helps and you like how it turns out:)
      P.S I just updated my website theme so that’s why the hearts seem to cover the beginning of the recipes but if you click on save or print recipe, the hearts disappear:)

11. I made this tonight and my husband and I absolutely loved it!!!! I used 1lb ground pork and doubled the sauce. Can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

• Hi Lindsey, I’m so glad to hear that you and your husband loved this:) It is one of our favorite noodle dishes too! Thanks so much for stopping by to let me know and so happy to have you here :)

12. The recipe looks so delicious! I love noodles stir-fry and yours look really good! Will definitely try out the recipe :)
    Maggie recently posted…Bang Bang Chicken

13. Hi Kelly,

I am a noddle lover and want to try this recipe, I have some questions :
    1. @step 4 : do we use 1/2 of each the garlic and the ginger ?
    2. I don’t see the use of the 1/2 Tbs oyster sauce or did I miss it ?

Thank you so much !

• Hi Eka,
      Thanks for your e-mail. At step 4, yes you use half of the garlic and ginger when you fry the pork and use the other half when you fry the cabbage. Sorry about that, the oyster sauce gets added to the rest of the sauce ingredients. Good luck and hope that helps and you enjoy this noodle dish as much as we do :)

14. This sounds awesome. I seriously want to make this right now!
    Elisa recently posted…2014 in review: the best food, drinks and recipes I enjoyed this year!

15. Cookingcutie11 says:

This was fantastic! I made it for dinner last night using ground turkey, and 8 oz of dried lo mien noodles. The sauce was delicious, and I added a little bit of fermented black beans in chili paste for some added heat when I was cooking the cabbage. This was easy and I would make it again.

16. Jessie Yung says:

Thank you! This was a hit for the whole family. I doubled the recipe and it was perfect!