Instant Pot Rice – how to cook the perfect bowl of white or brown rice in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Failproof and so easy to make.
Growing up in a typical Asian household, rice was an absolute staple at our dinner table. My brother and I would take turns making rice using our rice cooker back then.
The best part about cooking rice in an Instant Pot is that it’s almost completely hands-off. No more standing around by the stove and waiting for the water to boil.
You simply rinse the rice (to remove the excess starch), add water and set and forget. So easy right?
SO WHAT ARE THE RATIOS WHEN YOU WANT TO COOK THE PERFECT RICE IN AN INSTANT POT?
For long-grain white rice (rinsed) like Jasmine and Basmati, the ratio is 1:1 and you would set the cook time to 3 minutes at HIGH PRESSURE with a natural release (about 15-20 minutes)
For long-grain brown rice (rinsed), the ratio is 1:1 and would set the cook time to 22 minutes at HIGH PRESSURE with a natural release (about 15-20 minutes)
SHOULD I RINSE THE RICE BEFORE I COOK IT IN THE INSTANT POT?
Yes. It’s important to rinse the rice before cooking. You can rinse it using the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Just add the rice, run under cold water and rub the rice together using both hands. This will get rid of excess starches on the surface and prevent the rice in becoming gluey.
CAN I DOUBLE THE RECIPE?
Yes, absolutely! Just remember to use the 1:1 rice to water ratio with the same cooking time.
Instant Pot Rice - White and Brown
Instant Pot Rice - how to cook the perfect bowl of white or brown rice in an Instant Pot pressure cooker. Failproof and so easy to make.
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut, olive oil oil or cooking spray, to prevent sticking
- 1 cup brown or white long-grain rice (Jasmine or Basmati)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- Lightly coat the bottom and the sides of the inner pot of the Instant Pot with oil (this prevents sticking).
- Measure rice into a large colander or bowl and rinse under cold water. Gently rub rice together with your fingertips. Drain and continue rinsing under cold water until the water is clear. Drain well and add to Instant Pot.
- Measure out water using the same measuring cup as the rice. Add water to rice. Add a pinch of salt, if desired.
- Cover and lock the lid. Turn the valve to sealing and press MANUAL/PRESSURE COOK: For White Rice - cook for 3 minutes. For Brown Rice - cook for 22 minutes.
- Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (about 15 minutes) and cook for selected time. After the selected time and the rice is cooked, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes. Using a long spoon, release the remaining pressure by turning the valve to venting , then unlock and remove the lid.
- Fluff with a fork and serve warm.
- Store leftovers in a sealed container or zip-top bag in the fridge for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
*USE A 1:1 RATIO TO DOUBLE OR TRIPLE THE RECIPE E.G. 2 CUPS WATER, 2 CUPS LONG GRAIN RICE
Be sure to use the same measuring cup you use for the rice and water - this ensures the cook time will be accurate.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!