Asian Lemon Chicken – an easy homemade 30 minute version of the popular Chinese Takeout-Style Lemon Chicken. With a light and crispy coating covered in a flavorful sweet, savory and tangy lemon sauce. With gluten free & paleo options.
Although we’ve had what’s been considered a pretty mild winter so far, I’ve been dreaming of tropical beaches along with bright and sunny citrus flavors.
Lemon anything happens to be my favorite and that bright and refreshing scent can always cheer me up even on the gloomiest day.
This homemade version is ready in just 30 minutes so it’s perfect for those busy weeknights.
And the best part about this dish is that there is no deep frying involved. You can choose to pan-fry the chicken in a little bit of oil — or bake it in the oven.
The sweet and sticky sauce for this Asian Lemon Chicken is full of dimension and flavor. It’s got the right amount of balance of sweet, savory and zingy.
You can easily customize it to your tastes though. If you like your sauce sweeter, add more honey. For tangier – add more lemon juice and vinegar. And for a kick of heat, add extra Sriracha.
Allergy-friendly substitutions and make ahead tips for this Asian Lemon Chicken:
- For low sodium soy sauce – use gluten free tamari or coconut aminos for paleo-friendly version
- For cornstarch – use arrowroot starch for paleo-friendly version
- To make this ahead – combine all the ingredients for the sauce and store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- The night before, dice the chicken and store in a separate zip-top freezer bag in the fridge.
- If serving with rice, make rice the day before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge.
Don’t forget to stop by and check out these great recipes from my 30 Minute Thursday friends:
One Pot Beef and Tomato Macaroni Soup from The Recipe Rebel
Baked Chicken Ranch Taquitos from Pumpkin ‘N Spice
Sheet Pan Lemon Garlic Salmon and Asparagus from Kristine’s Kitchen
Honey Garlic Chicken Stir Fry Noodles from Savory Nothings
One Pan Italian Pasta from My Kitchen Craze
Spicy Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup from Floating Kitchen
Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas from Bake.Eat.Repeat.
Easy Thai Vegetable Pita Pizzas from She Likes Food
Guinness Beef Chili from Flavor the Moments