Apple Cider Spice Cake is perfectly moist and delicious with a luxurious salted caramel frosting topped with a drizzle of salted caramel sauce.
This showstopping three layered Apple Cider Spice Cake was my latest baking project.
The crunchy pecans and decadent salted caramel frosting along with the caramel glaze are the perfect compliment to balance out the warm autumn flavors.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- chopped pecans
- 1/3-1/2 cup salted caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray three 8-inch cake pans with baking spray on the sides and line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In the bowl of stand mixer, cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, at least 3 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add in the eggs, one at a time, beating each egg in fully before adding in the next. Add in the vegetable oil and vanilla extract, beat until combined and scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture, mix until combined, then add in 1/2 of the apple cider. Repeat once more, finishing with the flour, mixing until just moistened.
Divide batter evenly among pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until set and a tooth pick comes out clean. Set aside until the cakes cool completely (or place in the refrigerator), then run a butter knife around the edges of the cakes to release them.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and cream cheese until smooth - around 5 minutes. Beat in vanilla and caramel sauce until combined then turn the mixer to low and add powdered sugar until smooth. Turn the mixer back to high speed and add heavy cream 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed until desired consistency is reached.
Place the first cake layer on a cake stand or plate. Spread 1/3 of your frosting over the top of the cake, smoothing it out towards the edges. Place the next layer on top, press down slightly to secure the next layer, and repeat with the frosting. Add the third layer on top and spread a very thin layer of frosting over the sides and top of the cake. Refrigerate until firm. Frost the sides and top of the cake with the remaining frosting. Drizzle some additional salted caramel sauce on top and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Return to the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes prior to serving.
More layer cakes: