Baked Asian Sesame Chicken Tacos – a simple recipe perfect for busy weeknights and Cinco de Mayo. Best of all, a short recipe video. Layered with sweet and savory sesame chicken, rainbow vegetables, and a blend of 3 cheeses. Plus recipe video.
We are huge fans of Mexican-inspired dishes at our house. My husband could seriously eat enchiladas, burritos and tacos everyday if he could.
In fact, anytime I’m making any of those dishes, he purposely hangs around in the kitchen and then snatches everything up as soon as I’m done cooking. The main reason why I can’t seem to get very many of these recipes photographed for the blog (hoping to change this soon).
These Oven Baked Asian Sesame Chicken Tacos are seriously one of his and my son’s favorite. It’s super easy to make and they are packed with a ton of flavor.
In fact, my 6 year old is not usually a taco fan (I know!! The travesty!) but he ate this one he’s holding plus THREE more of these babies in record time!
This recipe starts off by combining some precooked chicken with a sweet and savory Asian-inspired sauce over medium heat.
Once the filling is heated up, divide it among some taco shells and layer with cheese. I used Monterey, Colby Jack and Cheddar. Bake the tacos in the oven until the cheese gets nice and bubbly, then top with a rainbow slaw, tomatoes, avocado and any other toppings you like!
Make ahead tips for these Asian Sesame Chicken Tacos
- if you’re not using precooked meat, cook and shred chicken the day before and store in an airtight container or resealable bag in the fridge up to 3 days
- prepare the slaw in advance and store in a resealable jar
Baked Asian sesame tacos make an easy meal for Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday!
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded Napa or regular cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar apple cider or rice vinegar work well
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 pound cooked chicken* shredded (I used cooked Rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 Tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 10 Taco Shells
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 tomato diced
- chopped cilantro
- Hoisin Sauce
- Sriracha Sauce
Combine all the ingredients for the slaw in a large bowl. Cover and set aside in the fridge.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds to a minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken then stir in the soy sauce, honey, lime juice, and sesame oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the sauce is reduced.
- Arrange the taco shells in the baking dish and fill evenly with Monterey Cheese. Layer evenly with chicken then top with Cheddar and Colby Jack.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from oven and top with rainbow slaw, diced tomatoes, avocado, and cilantro. Drizzle with hoisin sauce and Sriracha if desired
*Feel free to raw chicken breast or thighs cut into 1" cubes) and brown for 8-9 minutes, or until cooked through in the skillet before adding seasonings.
More dishes for Cinco de Mayo: