This Avocado Egg Salad is a healthy twist on the classic egg salad recipe using creamy avocado and a Whole30 approved mayo. It’s super tasty, nutritious and the perfect way to use up your hard boiled eggs. Makes a quick and easy low carb, keto or paleo lunch or snack.
Updated June 2019
Got leftover hard boiled eggs and looking for ways to use them up? My family is crazy about eggs and we always meal prep a ton of hard-boiled eggs in the Instant Pot to have on hand for the week. Eggs are so versatile for breakfast and incredibly nutritious, low in calories and high in protein, folate, phosphorous, selenium and Vitamins, A B2, B5 and B12.
This paleo avocado egg salad is one of my favorite things to make for lunch. I am a big big avocado fan and love swapping it in recipes to add creaminess and healthy fats. The addition of avocado makes this egg salad super creamy and the Dijon adds that classic tangy flavor.
And if you’d prefer a no mayo egg salad, you can simply leave it out and use a dairy-free yogurt, sour cream or even coconut cream + apple cider vinegar. Either way you choose, it will still have a ton of delicious flavor!
REASONS WE LOVE MAKING CREAMY AVOCADO EGG SALAD:
- easy to make for a quick and healthy lunch or snack
- simple to customize and perfect for meal prep
- great for spring and summer barbecues, picnics, parties and potlucks
- Macro friendly: 1 serving is: 244 calories, 2 grams of NET carbs, 10 grams protein and 20 grams fat
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED TO MAKE KETO AVOCADO EGG SALAD:
This Whole30 avocado egg salad is super simple to make with just a few pantry ingredients you probably already have. All you need is:
- hard boiled eggs roughly chopped
- homemade or store-bought Whole30 mayonnaise (OR dairy-free yogurt like Kite Hil OR sour cream if not Whole30 / paleo)
- Dijon mustard
- sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- fresh dill
- Lettuce wraps
- If not Whole30 – Keto / Paleo Bread
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO EGG SALAD:
Start off by peeling your hard boiled eggs. This is my favorite method for perfectly peeled hard boiled eggs every. single. time.
HOW DO YOU SERVE CREAMY AVOCADO EGG SALAD?
Enjoy this easy avocado egg salad:
- alone with a spoon
- scoop on lettuce wraps
- spread on keto / low carb / paleo bread to make a tasty avocado egg salad sandwich (I added some kale and cabbage slaw),
- IF NOT Whole30 – fill into a pita
HOW TO MAKE HARD BOILED EGGS THAT PEEL EASILY:
My favorite way to make perfectly hard boiled eggs that peel easily is in the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
To boil eggs in an Instant Pot:
- Insert the steamer rack that came with your Instant Pot or this other handy steamer / egg rack .
- Next, pour one cup of water into the bottom of the inner pot.
Close and lock the lid and turn the valve to sealing. Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH, then adjust the time to 7 minutes.
- Immediately do a quick release by using a long spoon and push the valve to venting – allow all the steam to release. Carefully unlock and open the lid.
- Quickly transfer eggs to a cold water bath until completely cool (I usually let mine sit for about 8-10 minutes). Gently crack eggs and peel from the bottom up. And that’s it – perfectly cooked and easy to peel eggs in the Instant Pot every time!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THE BEST AVOCADO EGG SALAD:
- MAKE YOUR EGGS AHEAD OF TIME: Use your Instant Pot to make a batch of perfect hard boiled eggs to have on hand. This method guarantees that you won’t overcook them and come out perfect every time with no green tinge.
- CHOOSE THE RIGHT AVOCADO: When choosing your avocado, try not to use one that is overly ripe. You want to add creaminess without being too mushy. If your avocado is too ripe, you can always use it to make fresh homemade guacamole.
- CUSTOMIZE AND ADD FLAVOR WITH FRESH HERBS: This recipe uses fresh dill but feel free to add fresh parsley or chives to switch up the flavors.
- ADD CREAMINESS WITH:Whole30 mayonnaise, dairy-free yogurt like Kite Hill OR sour cream
OTHER DELICIOUS TOPPINGS OR ADD-INS:
- for added protein you can add bacon for a avocado egg salad with bacon or shredded chicken for extra protein to make an avocado chicken salad
- feel free to add chopped pickles or relish to add tanginess
- stir in some chopped celery, kale, cabbage or make an avocado egg salad with cilantro
More easy egg recipes:
Avocado Egg Salad is a healthy twist on the classic egg salad recipe using creamy avocado. It's super tasty, nutritious and the perfect way to use up your hard boiled eggs. Makes a quick and easy low carb, keto, paleo Whole30 lunch or snack.
- 8 hard boiled eggs , roughly chopped
- 2 ripe medium avocados
- 2 Tablespoons homemade or Whole30 compliant mayonnaise , (can also use Dairy-Free yogurt like Kite Hill OR sour cream if not Whole30)
- 1-2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard to taste
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- sea salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 1 Tablespoon fresh dill chopped, to taste
- lettuce wraps
- kale and cabbage slaw
- keto / paleo bread if not Whole30
Cover the eggs with very hot tap water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, turn the heat off, cover with the lid and remove from heat. Allow to sit for 18 minutes. Uncover and pour out hot water. Run under very cold water and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes until cool. Peel and chop.
In a large bowl, mash the avocados using a fork. Add the chopped eggs, mayonnaise (yogurt or sour cream), mustard, and lemon juice and mix to combine. Season with salt, black pepper, and dill, to taste.
Serve immediately at room temperature, or chill and serve cold.
Serving suggestions: Enjoy alone, scoop into lettuce wraps OR spread between two slices of keto / paleo bread with kale & cabbage slaw for an Avocado Egg Salad Sandwich