How to make Classic Deviled Eggs: An easy recipe that’s a perfect appetizer for family gatherings, holiday parties, Easter potlucks and summer barbecues. One of our favorite simple side dish recipes. Whole30, keto and paleo friendly.
Deviled eggs are hands down one of the easiest appetizers you can make for entertaining. While they’re perfect for any occasion, most people love making deviled eggs for spring entertaining.
We are big deviled eggs fans at our house and have been making them for years anytime we host a party. This simple appetizer is always a crowd favorite around Easter and the holidays.Plus, they’re easy to pop in your mouth and make a delicious and healthy paleo, keto and Whole30 snack.
The best part is how quickly this recipe comes together with only a handful of ingredients plus, some secret tips and tricks to ensure you can make the best deviled eggs for your friends and family.
SO WHAT ARE DEVILED EGGS?
Did you know that Deviled eggs are also known as stuffed eggs, Russian eggs, devilled eggs or dressed eggs in other parts of the world?
They’re super simple to customize so I can see why they are such a popular side dish and appetizer in Europe and in North America.
They are basically just hard-boiled eggs that you peel and cut into halves. You can either use a spoon or piping bag to add a creamy filling of your choice. The filling for classic deviled eggs are typically made with egg yolks, mayonnaise, mustard and various spices and herbs.
HOW TO HARD BOIL EGGS IN THE INSTANT POT:
While most people boil their eggs on the stove-top, the hands down easiest and best method for boiling eggs is using an Instant Pot pressure cooker. It’s a totally hands-off and makes fool-proof easy to peel boiled eggs every. SINGLE. time.
You don’t have to worry about having to stand over the stove and wait for the water to boil over. And the best part is that the shells are easy to peel while the whites are firm with tender, creamy yellow yolks.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT EGGS:
1. First, insert the steamer rack that came with your Instant Pot or this other handy steamer / egg rack I got from Amazon. Next, pour one cup of water into the bottom of the inner pot.
2. Close and lock the lid and turn the valve to sealing.
3. Press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK on HIGH, then adjust the time to:
COOKING TIMES FOR INSTANT POT EGGS:
- RUNNY – PARTIALLY COOKED YOLK: 2-3 MINUTES
- MEDIUM BOILED EGGS: 4 MINUTES
- ALMOST COOKED BUT SLIGHTLY SOFT YOLKS – 5-6 MINUTES
- HARD BOILED EGGS: 7-9 MINUTES
4. Immediately do a quick release by using a long spoon and push the valve to venting – allow all the steam to release. Carefully unlock and open the lid.
5. Immediately transfer eggs to a cold water bath until completely cool (I usually let mine sit for about 8-10 minutes). Gently crack eggs and peel from the bottom up.
6. And that’s it – perfectly cooked and easy to peel eggs in the Instant Pot every time!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO IN NEED TO MAKE DEVILED EGGS:
- hard boiled eggs
- mayonnaise (use homemade or Whole30, keto, paleo friendly brand such as Primal Kitchen as needed)
- fine sea salt
- Dijon mustard (use homemade or Whole30, keto, paleo friendly brand as needed)
- vinegar or pickle juice
- freshly cracked black pepper
- paprika, for topping
- chives or parsley, for garnish
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CLASSIC DEVILED EGGS:
- Once the eggs have been peeled, cut them in half lengthwise, remove the yolks and add them to a small mixing bowl.
- Add mustard, vinegar and black pepper. Mash (or beat with a hand mixer) until combined and smooth.
- Use a spoon, a large pasty bag or ziploc bag and pipe the filling into egg white halves.
- Top with a sprinkle of paprika and garnish with chives & parsley (if desired).
HOW DO YOU FILL DEVILED EGGS?
You can either use a spoon to scoop the filling into the egg whites. Or transfer to a bag and pipe in the filling. Any plastic food bag should work – just scoop the filling in and snip off the corner.
SERVING AND STORING DEVILED EGGS:
So can I make deviled eggs in advance? Hard boiled and peeled eggs can be made 1 day in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
You can also make the fillings up to 1 day ahead and store in the fridge. Just remember to store each filling in separate piping bags or in an airtight container with a layer of plastic wrap covering the filling under the lid. Spoon or pipe filling into egg white shells when ready to serve.
Do not freeze as the texture of the egg whites will become rubbery and watery.
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP DEVILED EGGS AT ROOM TEMPERATURE?
Once you add the filling, deviled eggs can be prepared up to two hours in advance if sitting at room temperature.
More easy egg recipes:
How to make Classic Deviled Eggs - easy to make and the perfect appetizer for family gatherings, holiday parties, Easter potlucks and summer barbecues. One of our favorite simple side dish recipes.
- 12 LARGE HARD-BOILED EGGS PEELED AND SLICED IN HALF
- 1/2 CUP MAYONNAISE , (use Whole 30, Keto, Paleo as needed)
- 1/2 TEASPOON FINE SEA SALT
- 2 TEASPOONS DIJON MUSTARD , (use Whole 30, Keto, Paleo as needed)
- 1 1/2 TEASPOONS VINEGAR OR PICKLE JUICE
- 1/8 TEASPOON FRESHLY CRACKED BLACK PEPPER
- 1/4 TEASPOON PAPRIKA , PLUS MORE FOR GARNISH
- CHOPPED CHIVES AND PARSLEY , FOR GARNISH
- SLICE EACH EGG IN HALF LENGTHWISE AND SCOOP OUT THE EGG YOLKS INTO A LARGE BOWL AND MASH INTO A CRUMBLE WITH A FORK.
- ADD MAYONNAISE AND SALT.
- ADD MUSTARD, VINEGAR, AND BLACK PEPPER. MASH (OR BEAT WITH A HAND MIXER) UNTIL COMBINED AND SMOOTH.
- SPOON OR PIPE YOLK MIXTURE INTO EGG WHITE HALVES.
- TOP WITH A SPRINKLE OF PAPRIKA AND GARNISH WITH CHIVES & PARSLEY (IF DESIRED).