This Air Fryer Steak is easy to make and cooks up tender, juicy steak with perfectly seared edges every time. Flavored to perfection with a savory garlic herb butter, say hello to your new favorite ribeye recipe that the entire family will love. Gluten-free, low carb, keto, Whole30 compliant.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipe ideas
Easy Air Fryer Steak Recipe
Looking for a fool-proof way to cook perfectly tender juicy steak? We love cooking steak in the air fryer. This Air Fryer Steak cooks up in less than 20 minutes and comes out perfectly tender and juicy every time!
We use our air fryer all the time and have a ton of air fryer recipes and this helpful air fryer guide on how to use an air fryer.
And if you don’t have an air fryer, check out our Pan Seared Steak with Asparagus and Mushrooms or Perfectly Grilled Steak.
No matter how rare or well-done you like your steak to be, this simple air fryer recipe will make it come out just right. And if you like your steak to have a crispy exterior, the air fryer can do that without sacrificing the tenderness of the meat. You’ll never go back to cooking your steak on the stove or oven once you try this recipe!
Why we love making steak in the air fryer
Air fried steak is the easiest and most hands off way to make juicy steak. You get a nice and crispy exterior, while leaving the inside tender and juicy.
It’s such a hearty and flavorful main dish that’s easy enough to become a weeknight regular. Plus, if you’re following a gluten-free, keto, low-carb, paleo or Whole30 diet, this air fryer steak is a great option for you.
There really isn’t an easier or healthier way to cook steak. Any excess fat on your steak will actually be removed from the steak by your air fryer while it cooks.
To cook your ribeyes, all you need is the beef and some salt & pepper. The garlic butter uses a handful of herbs to round out the tasty flavors in this dish.
For the Steak
- Bone-In Ribeye: Bring your steak to room temperature.
- Sea Salt: Use coarse sea salt for this recipe.
- Black Pepper: Freshly cracked.
For the Garlic Herb Butter
- Softened Ghee: You could also use grass-fed butter.
- Garlic Cloves: Minced.
- Freshly Chopped Herbs: You’ll need 2 tsp of parsley and 1 tsp each of chives, thyme and rosemary.
Can You Use Other Cuts of Steak?
You can easily use other cuts of steak for this recipe, if desired. Stick with a tender cut like T-bone, sirloin, Porterhouse or New York Strip for the best results.
How to Make Air Fryer Steak
This recipe is about as simple as steak can get. All you have to do is season it, cook it, make your herb butter and serve!
For the Steak
- Season Steak: Season your steak generously on both sides with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Let it sit for about 5 minutes while the air fryer preheats.
- Heat Air Fryer: Preheat the air fryer to 400°F.
- Cook: Place the steak in the center of the air fryer basket and cook until it reaches your desired doneness, depending on the thickness of the steak: about 10 minutes for medium-rare, 12 minutes for medium and 14 minutes for medium-well, flipping halfway through.
- Let Cool: Transfer the steak to a cutting board and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
For the Garlic Herb Butter
- Combine Ingredients: While your air fryer is preheating, add the butter, garlic and herbs to a small bowl. Use a fork to mash and combine.
- Add to Steak: Once it’s done resting, slice the steak against the grain, into 1/4-inch thick pieces, and top it with the garlic herb butter.
How Long Does it Take to Cook a Steak in the Air Fryer?
The answer depends on the size of your steak and how well-done you want it to be. 10 minutes is the average for a medium-rare steak. Add about 2 minutes to the cook time for medium steak and 4 minutes for medium-well. Don’t forget to flip your steak halfway through so it cooks evenly.
Tips for the Best Air Fryer Steak
These simple tips will help you make the best steak of your life!
- Check for Doneness with Instant Read Thermometer: If you’re not a seasoned steak chef, it’s a good idea to check the temperature of your steak with an instant read thermometer. Medium-rare steak should register at about 135°F, medium will be around 140-145°F, and medium-well will register anywhere from 145-155°F. The level of doneness is up to you!
- Preheat Air Fryer Fully: Don’t put your steak in the air fryer too early. It needs to be all the way pre-heated to properly cook the steak.
- Let Steak Rest After Cooking: It’s important to let your steak sit for about 10 minutes before you add your garlic butter and serve it. The meat needs a little time for the flavors to really blossom.
- Pick a Good Steak: You want your steak to be well marbled so it has a good distrubution of fat throughout the beef.
So many dishes pair wonderfully with a juicy piece of steak. I love serving my air fryer steak with the following recipes.
- Pair with Air Fried Vegetables: Air Fryer Broccoli, Air Fried Brussels Sprouts OR Air Fryer Cauliflower
- Potatoes and Mushrooms: These Crispy Smashed Potatoes or easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are so creamy and comforting. They’re cooked to perfection with roasted garlic!
- Serve with Healthy Fries: French fries and steak go together wonderfully, and these crispy Avocado Fries are a healthy alternative. Made with Cajun seasoning and an optional dip, they’d be a great starter or side for this steak.
- Pair with a Salad: Keep your side dish nice and light with this Kale Salad or Strawberry Spinach Salad! It’s so easy to make with chopped nuts, sunflower seeds and a flavorful homemade dressing.
Can You Freeze Ribeye?
Feel free to freeze any leftover steak you have, if desired. Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or place it in a freezer-safe bag with all the air squeezed out. Frozen steak lasts for up to 3 months, if stored properly. Thaw it out completely before reheating.
More Air Fryer Recipes
My air fryer has to be one of my top favorite kitchen appliances. There are just so many tasty things to make with it! Here are some of my other go-to air fryer dishes:
- These Air Fryer Green Beans are a healthy and delicious side dish for any meal!
- Want to switch up the protein? You need to try this Air Fryer Chicken Breast
- You’ll love my easy Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries. They’re so crunchy and so easy to pair with whatever dips you enjoy.
- Do you like ultra crispy bacon? If so, you have to try this Air Fryer Bacon recipe ASAP!
If you want to cook a tender and juicy piece of steak with perfectly seared edges, then you need to make this easy Air Fryer Steak! Drizzled with a savory 6-ingredient garlic herb butter, say hello to your new favorite ribeye recipe.
- 2 lb bone-in ribeye steak at room temperature
- coarse sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp ghee` or grass-fed butter, softened
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tsp freshly chopped chives
- 1 tsp freshly chopped thyme
- 1 tsp freshly chopped rosemary
Season steak generously on both sides with salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Allow to sit while you preheat the air fryer and make the garlic herb butter.
Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the butter, garlic and herbs and use a fork to mash and combine.
Place the steak in the center of the air fryer basket and cook until desired doneness, depending on the thickness of the steak: about 10 minutes for medium-rare, 12 minutes for medium and 14 minutes for medium-well, flipping halfway through.
Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow to rest, about 10 minutes.
Slice the steak against the grain into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Top with the garlic-herb butter.
Roberta Brenner -
it was storming here, so we decided to try cooking the steaks in the air fryer. they were delicious and cooked to perfection!