These Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts are tender, crispy with a sweet caramelized flavor. Cooking Brussels sprouts in the air fryer takes less than 20 minutes and is the easiest way when you want to save oven space. Naturally gluten-free, vegan, low carb, keto, paleo & Whole30 compliant!
Updated November 2021
Easy Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
Looking for an easy side dish to add to your fall dinner line-up? Roasting brussels sprouts in the oven can take forever, and it’s hard to get them just right. With this Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts recipe, it’s never been easier to make crispy baked Brussels sprouts! They cook faster, taste better, and end up being healthier than oven-baked Brussels sprouts.
All you really need is some Brussels sprouts, oil and salt and pepper, your favorite seasonings and you have yourself a simple and delicious and healthy side dish the whole family will love!
Why you’ll love this easy air fryer recipe
In addition to using less oil than their oven-baked counterparts, making Brussels sprouts in the air fryer means there is less mess and clean-up! They make the perfect hearty side dish for any meal and go with just about anything! Quick and simple enough for busy weeknights and you can easily double up the recipe. Just wash and trim the sprouts ahead of time before the big Turkey day or any holiday meal and then just cook them up when you’re ready to serve them.
Brussels sprouts are naturally low carb, low in calories and high in nutrients. Also known as superfood veggies that also fit perfectly if you are following a paleo, gluten free, keto, vegan or Whole 30 diet.
- Quick and easy to make with simple ingredients
- Perfect for most guest with dietary concerns: naturally vegan, low carb, keto, dairy-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- Goes great with practically any side or protein
Ingredients you need
- Brussels Sprouts: you’ll need 1.5 lbs of Brussels.
- Avocado oil: or olive oil.
- Salt: You can use fine sea salt or kosher salt. Season generously to taste.
- Black pepper: We like to use freshly ground black pepper for the best flavor.
- Garlic Powder: for depth of flavor.
- Italian Seasoning: you’ll need just 1/2 teaspoon. or to taste.
How to trim Brussels Sprouts
When preparing air fried Brussels sprouts, we like to:
- Cut off bottom and trim: Cut off the bottom stem and then remove and discard any outer layers that are discolored. I usually keep the leaves that look nice and roast them along with the rest of the sprouts to get caramelized and crispy.
- Slice into halves or quarters: Depending on the size, I slice the Brussels sprouts in halve, or even quarter them into uniform pieces
How to make Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
Want to learn how to air fry Brussels sprouts? Be sure to follow the step-by-step instructions:
- Preheat the air fryer: If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat to 400 F degrees.
- Prepare the Brussels sprouts: Trim off the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts and cut off the bottom. Slice in half lengthwise.
- Season the sprouts: Place the Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with oil and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Toss until well combined.
- Place in the air fryer: Working in batches, add the Brussels sprouts to the air fryer basket spreading them in a single layer.
- Air fry the vegetables: Cook for 6 minutes, then open the air fryer basket and shake the basket or toss the squash. Air fry again for another 5-6 minutes or until the sprouts are tender, with some char on the edges.
- Serve and enjoy: Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.
Tips for Success
Cooking Brussels sprouts in the air fryer couldn’t be easier! Here are some tricks so they come out perfectly every time!
- Trim the ends: Cut off the bottom stem and then remove and discard any outer layers that are discolored. Slice the Brussels sprouts in halve, or even quarter them into uniform pieces to ensure they all cook evenly.
- Don’t Crowd the Air Fryer: Make sure you’re not putting too sprouts in the air fryer at once. It’s better to work in batches. If your Brussels are too crowded, they won’t get as crispy.
- Shake halfway: Be sure to shake or stir the Brussels sprouts halfway through the cooking process. This ensures crispiness all around!
Crispy air fried Brussels Sprouts go so well with any protein or your favorite roasted vegetables. We love pairing these tender sprouts with one of the following sides!
- Salad: Our Thanksgiving Salad is a great dish to serve with this Brussels sprouts. It’s tossed in a tangy Dijon vinaigrette that really ties it all together.
- Soup: This Easy Pumpkin Soup is a must-make! It pairs perfectly with air fried sprouts to give you an ultra flavorful and nutritious vegan dinner.
- Protein: If you’re not vegan or vegetarian, we highly recommend serving this easy side dish with a hearty chicken recipe like this Easy Grilled Chicken or Air Fryer Turkey Breast. Such a healthy and satisfying meal!
Make ahead and storage
Meal prep: The great thing about air fryer roasted Brussels sprouts is that you can easily make it in advance on your Sunday meal prep.
Wash, dry and trim Brussels sprouts and store in a large resealable bag or airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 day in advance.
How to store: Store leftover Brussels sprouts in a well-covered, airtight container in the fridge. They’ll stay fresh for about 3-4 days.
Can you freeze Brussels Sprouts?
Yes, the great thing about making air fryer veggies is that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them for meal prep.
How to freeze
Place the cooked Brussels on a large baking sheet and freeze for at least 20 minutes. Transfer to a large resealable freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat
When ready to reheat, place the frozen Brussels sprouts in the microwave, warming them up in the the oven at 350 F for 12 to 15 minutes or in a single layer in the air fryer basket at 365F and heat for 7-9 minutes or until desired crispiness.
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts With Parmesan. Sprinkle vegan (or regular if not dairy-free) Parmesan cheese over the Brussels sprouts.
- Balsamic Vinegar: Drizzle the Brussels with basalmic vinegar and cook for another 5 minutes then top with roasted pecans.
- Garlic: Add minced bacon over the Brussels and roast as directed.
- Bacon: Cut some vegan bacon into 1/2-inch pieces, and sprinkle around the Brussels while they are roasting.
Are Brussels Sprouts Keto?
Yes! Brussels sprouts are a great vegetable to add to your low carb keto or weight loss journey since they are not only low carb, they are high in calcium, potassium and have zero saturated fat.
More easy air fryer recipes you will love:
These Air Fried Brussels sprouts are a quick and easy low carb side dish and perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or any holiday gathering. They cook up crispy in the air fryer in less than 20 minutes with a sweet caramelized layer. Low carb, keto, paleo & Whole30 compliant!
- 1.5 lbs Brussels sprouts , ends & leaves trimmed, sliced in half vertically
- 1 1/2 tablespoon avocado or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2/3 teaspoon fine sea salt , or more to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper , or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- toasted pecans
- Parmesan cheese
- balsamic vinegar / glaze
If your air fryer requires preheating, preheat to 400 F degrees.
Trim off the outer leaves of the Brussels sprouts and cut off the bottom. Discard any discolored leaves. Slice each sprout in half lengthwise.
Place the Brussels sprouts in a large mixing bowl) and drizzle with oil and season with salt, black pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Toss until well combined.
Working in batches, add the Brussels sprouts to the air fryer basket spreading them in a single layer.
Cook for 6 minutes, then open the air fryer basket and shake the basket or toss the squash. Air fry again for another 5-6 minutes or more until the sprouts are tender, with some char on the edges
Transfer to a serving bowl, garnish with fresh parsley and serve warm.