Air Fryer Butternut Squash is a quick, healthy & easy side dish for fall and the best way to cook butternut squash! Takes less than 30 minutes and you’ve got perfectly tender and delicious roasted butternut squash! Naturally vegan, gluten-free, paleo and Whole30 compliant.
Easy Air Fryer Butternut Squash Recipe
We make butternut squash at our home weekly and besides just having roasted butternut squash made in the oven, we love all the different ways you can cook it.
Sometimes we’ll toss a whole butternut squash in the slow cooker or instant pot when we don’t feel like cutting it. But did you know you can air fry butternut squash? Making butternut squash in the air fryer is the best and our new favorite way! It comes out tender, crispy and perfectly caramelized!
All you really need is just butternut squash, oil and salt and pepper and you have yourself a simple and delicious and healthy side dish the whole family will love!
Quick and simple enough for busy weeknights and you can easily double up the recipe if you plan on serving it at Thanksgiving or any holiday dinner. Plus you can serve it with any mains or add it to harvest salads or cozy and comforting autumn soups.
Why we love this easy air fryer recipe
- Quick and easy to make with only 3 ingredients
- A healthy and delicious side dish that is not only delicious but it’s low in calories and packed with a chock full of antioxidants, vitamins, fiber and nutrients. Rich in vitamin A, vitamin c, mag
- Perfect for most guest with dietary concerns: naturally vegan, paleo and Whole30 compliant
- Goes great with practically any side or protein
How do you prepare and peel butternut squash skin for the air fryer
1. Remove the ends first. Start by washing and drying a medium butternut squash. Second, place the squash on a sturdy cutting board and use a large, sharp food knife and cut off the ends of the squash.
2. Peel squash – The easiest way to peel butternut squash skin is to hold the squash in one hand, and use a sharp vegetable peeler (we like Oxo’s Y shaped peeler) in the other hand and peel off the outer layer of the squash.
3. Halve the squash and remove the seeds. Place the squash upright and holding firmly with one hand while using the other hand, cut the squash down the middle from the top to bottom. Use a metal spoon to scrape the seeds out and remove the stringy pulp from the center.
4. Cut squash into chunks: Place the squash halves cut side down on the cutting board. Cut each section into slices, then turn the squash cross-wise and cut into desired cube sizes.
What you need to air fry butternut squash
- An Air fryer – we have two and this time we used a Kalorik 5.3 Quart
- Butternut Squash – one whole medium-sized squash – about 3 lbs – skin washed, peeled and chopped into 1-inch cubes / chunks
- Oil – we use avocado oil OR extra-virgin olive oil but feel free to use what you have on hand in your kitchen
- Sea salt + black pepper, to taste: Be sure to use a coarser salt (Himalayan or Kosher) as it adds incredible flavor
Other dried seasonings or fresh herbs that would be delicious:
- Dried or fresh rosemary
- Dried or fresh thyme
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
Tools you need:
- Air Fryer – we have a 5.3 Quart
- Sharp Knife
- Cutting Board
How to make Air Fryer Butternut Squash
Want to learn how to air fry butternut squash? Be sure to follow the step-by-step instructions:
- PREPARE THE SQUASH: Peel butternut squash and cut into cubes.
- LAYER EVENLY INTO AIR FRYER BASKET: Place the butternut squash cubes in air fryer basket in a single layer.
- SEASON VEGETABLES: Coat with oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste. Toss all the ingredients together ensuring all the cubes are coated.
- COOK: Air fry at 375F for 20-23 minutes, shaking and flipping halfway through.
- SERVE warm.
Make ahead and storage
Meal prep: The great thing about air fryer roasted butternut squash is that you can easily make it in advance on your Sunday meal prep.
Wash, peel and cut butternut squash into chunks and store in a large resealable bag or airtight container in the fride for up to 1 day in advance.
Storage: Roasted butternut squash is easy to make ahead and can last in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to three to four days. We like to make a huge batch one day a week so we can have it as an easy side dish to enjoy all week long. From salads to soups, butternut squash is definitely the type of vegetable to keep around the home all year long.
Do air fryers make vegetables crispy
Can you freeze air fryer roasted butternut squash
How to freeze: To freeze air fried butternut squash, spread out onto a large baking sheet and freeze for 20 minutes or until frozen. Once firm, transfer to a large resealable freezer bag, Stasher bag or airtight container with a lid. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat: Remove butternut squash from freezer and spread onto a large baking sheet or air fryer basket. Bake in a preheated oven or air fryer at 375F for about 15-20 minutes in the oven or 8-12 minutes in the air fryer or until warm.
What can you make with butternut squash
Butternut squash in the air fryer is delicious on its own or with any protein or side dish. We love butternut squash with:
Well rounded dinners: And if you want to make it a more filling dinner, it would be delicious with a side of regular or grain-free pasta or any rice you like.
Air Fryer Butternut Squash is a quick, healthy & easy side dish for fall and the best way to cook butternut squash! Takes less than 30 minutes and you've got perfectly tender and delicious roasted butternut squash!
- 1 large butternut squash , about 3 lbs, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil OR avocado oil
- fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon any of these seasonings or herbs to taste: dried or fresh rosemary, thyme, garlic powder, Italian seasoning or oregano
Peel butternut squash and cut into cubes.
Place squash in air fryer basket in a single layer. Coat with oil then sprinkle with salt and pepper, plus any other seasonings to taste. Toss all the ingredients together ensuring all the cubes are coated.
Air fry at 375F for 20-23 minutes, or until tender and crispy - shaking and flipping halfway through.