Maple pecan roasted butternut squash makes an easy, healthy and delicious side dish for fall.
Peeling and cutting one doesn’t take very long but some days, when I’m short on time or just plain too lazy, I’ll toss the entire squash…skin on and all, into the oven or slow cooker for about an hour or so. Once it cooks up nice and soft, I can just scoop out the flesh which works great for soups & curries. So easy – no cutting or peeling needed.
Dousing them with a simple maple syrup and dried herbs is another one of my favorite ways to prepare it.
They roast up nice and tender with and the maple syrup caramelizing perfectly giving it the most wonderful cozy flavor.
I like mine best with a spicy kick, so I usually add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper but you could totally leave that out and it will still be amazing!
- 1 large butternut squash about 3 lbs, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or rosemary
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread butternut squash cubes out on the baking sheet. Drizzle evenly with olive oil then sprinkle with oregano, ground cinnamon, salt, pepper and maple syrup. Toss all the ingredients together, using tongs or your hands, ensuring all the cubes are coated.
- Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes (rotating pan if necessary half-way). Add crushed pecans and return to oven for an additional 5-6 minutes or until squash is tender. Remove from oven and serve immediately or allow to cool.
More easy sides:
Slow Cooker Orange Glazed Carrots
Maple Cinnamon Roasted Butternut Squash
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup
Miso Glazed Brussels Sprouts and Cranberries
Slow Cooker Garlic Rosemary Tri-Color Potatoes
Eva @ Eva Bakes -
What an awesome side dish! I can’t wait to try this for my manivore husband!
My mouth is definitely watering after seeing these beauties! 🙂
Dannii @ Hungry Healthy Happy -
So many amazing flavors! I can’t wait to make this!