These avocado fries are crispy, delicious and so easy to make with sliced avocado, almond flour and baked to perfection in the oven. These keto fries are gluten-free, paleo-friendly, vegan make the perfect game day appetizer or low carb snack for any occasion.
Crispy Avocado Fries
Looking for a healthy and delicious appetizer to make for your next game day? These Baked Avocado Fries are one of our favorite ways to use up the big avocado bags we buy from Costco and Trader Joe’s. They are creamy, delicious and such a fun way to get in some healthy fats and veggies for our family.
Why we love this recipe
These Baked Fries are crispy, flavorful and a healthier alternative to regular fries. Plus, they’re easy to make either in the oven or an air fryer with just a few simple ingredients.
You can enjoy these baked veggie fries as a low carb, keto snack or side. Or make a double batch for your next summer BBQ, potluck or game day party. They are gluten-free, grain-free, paleo-friendly, vegan, keto, low carb and all the ingredients are Whole30 compliant.
Ingredients you need:
Classic avocado fries are typically made with a combination of all purpose flour and panko crumbs for the batter. Since we are trying to keep this avocado fries recipe healthy and and grain-free, we are going to be using:
- unsweetened almond milk (sub with 1 large egg if you don’t want to make vegan avocado fries
For the crispy coating:
- unsweetened shredded coconut
- superfine almond flour
- Cajun seasoning
- garlic salt (can also sub with garlic powder + sea salt)
- OPTIONAL: grated Parmesan cheese (sub with vegan cheese or nutritional yeast for dairy free / Whole30 / Paleo Zucchini fries)
OPTIONAL SEASONINGS BUT HIGHLY RECOMMENDED:
- smoked paprika
- Italian seasoning
- if you want your avocado fries extra crispy without panko crumbs, you can crush some pork rinds or crushed grain-free crackers such as Simple Mills and dip the zucchini slices into them after the egg wash
Variations and Dips
The great thing about making crispy avocado fries is that it goes great with so many other seasonings and sauces! A few delicious options include:
How to pick a ripe avocado
- Color – You want to choose an avocado that has a darker skin for the perfect ripe. It should be deeper in color but not too black otherwise, the avocado has turned bad or rancid.
- Stem – Turn the avocado to the stem and pick it off. If it is green underneath, your avocado is perfectly ripe. If it is brown, then your avocado is too ripe.
- Texture – Lightly press the skin of the avocado. It should give a little without being too soft or squishy.
How to cut avocado into fries:
- Use a large knife to cut your avocados in half and remove the pit from the middle. To remove the pit, either pick it out with you hand or use a knife to press down into the pit. Twist the knife and the pit should come right out.
- Use a large spoon to scoop out the avocado half or alternatively, slice the avocado into pieces then peel back the skin of the avocado.
- Cut the avocado into wedges or “fries”.
How to make Avocado Fries
- PREHEAT OVEN AND PREPARE BAKING SHEETS: Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- CUT THE AVOCADO:
- Use a large knife to cut your avocados in half and remove the pit from the middle. Cut the avocado into wedges or “fries”.
- COAT AVOCADO IN “BREADING”
- Gather three wide shallow bowls. Place the almond flour in one bowl, the almond milk (or beaten egg) in the next bowl and combine the coating ingredients in the the third bowl.
- Take one avocado slice, place it in the flour. Make sure it is fully coated in flour then gently shake to get rid of any excess flour.
- Place it in the almond milk and again make sure it is fully coated and wet. You will find it easier if you use one hand for the first two steps and then the other hand for the breading, so you don’t get too messy!
- Finally place it in the coconut breading, making sure it is fully coated, then place on the baking pan.
- COOK: Bake them for 15-20 minutes, flipping them halfway through, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- SERVE: Remove baked avocado from the oven. Make the dip by mixing all the ingredients together. Enjoy!
How to make Air Fryer Avocado Fries
- Place the breaded avocado sticks in a single layer in the air fryer, you will have to work in batches. Lightly coat with cooking spray and cook for 9-11 minutes at 400F, or until golden and crispy, shaking halfway through.
Are avocado fries healthy
Avocado fits perfectly into a healthy balanced diet. It is high in healthy fats and low in carbs.
Are avocado fries keto?
Baked avocado is a delicious and healthy gluten free side or snack that fits perfect if you’re following a low carb keto diet. The nutritional info for one serving of avocado fries is:
- 106 calories
- 3g net carbs = 4g total carbs – 1g fiber
- 9g protein
- 6g fat
What goes with avocado fries?
Not only are these fries amazing with sauces, but just some freshly spritzed lemon juice will do the job, too.
Vegan Avocado Fries
Instead of the egg wash, simply dip the avocado in a neutral oil, such as avocado oil. Follow the rest of the steps from the regular recipe!
We like to eat these leftover homemade fries throughout the week. When storing these fries, we just place them in an airtight container to keep them in the fridge for up to three days. To reheat these fries, we simply re-heat them in the oven so they can maintain the special crunch.
If warming in a microwave, the fries may become a bit soggy.
Can you freeze avocado fries?
Yes, the great thing bout making avocado fries is that you can make them ahead of time and freeze them for meal prep.
How to Freeze Air Fried Avocado Fries
Place the cooked avocado fries on a large baking sheet and freeze for at least 20 minutes. Transfer to a large resealable freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to reheat from frozen
When ready to reheat, place the frozen avocado fries (cooking in batches) in a single layer in the air fryer basket at 365F and heat for 7-9 minutes or until desired crispiness.
More avocado recipes you migh like:
Keto Avocado Egg Salad
These avocado fries are crispy, delicious and so easy to make with sliced avocado, almond flour and baked to perfection in the oven. These keto fries are gluten-free, paleo-friendly make the perfect low carb snack for any occasion.
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1.5 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Use a large knife to cut your avocados in half and remove the pit from the middle. Cut the avocado into wedges or "fries".
Gather three wide shallow bowls. Place the almond milk in one bowl, the almond flour in the next bowl and combine the coating ingredients in the the third bowl.
Take one avocado slice, place it in the flour. Make sure it is fully coated in flour then gently shake to get rid of any excess flour.
Place it in the almond milk and again make sure it is fully coated and wet. You will find it easier if you use one hand for the first two steps and then the other hand for the breading, so you don’t get too messy!
Finally place it in the coconut breading, making sure it is fully coated, then place on the baking pan.
Repeat until all the slices are coated. Place the baking sheet in the oven for 15-20 minutes until turning golden brown.
- Make the dip by mixing all the ingredients together. Enjoy with the avocado fries!
Photo Credit: The photos in this blog post were taken by Tamsin of Cupful of Kale