This Avocado Chicken Salad is light, refreshing and so easy to make using simple ingredients. It’s made with cooked chicken, fresh lemon and creamy avocado for the perfect healthy low carb lunch and keto snack.
EASY SUMMER LUNCHES
Summer calls for easy lunch recipes and if you’re looking for a healthy and fresh spin on a classic chicken salad, this Avocado Chicken Salad is a delicious option to have on hand.
This avocado chicken salad takes just 10 minutes to make and uses simple pantry and fresh ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. It’s perfect for summer when you’re craving something light and healthy and don’t feel like turning on your stove or oven.
Plus, it also works great if you’re Whole30, paleo, gluten free or following a low carb keto diet.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
Here are a few key ingredients and tips when it comes to making the best avocado chicken salad:
- cooked chicken – you can use any leftover grilled chicken, slow cooker shredded chicken, poached or instant pot chicken or for even easier prep, pick up your favorite store-bought rotisserie chicken
- diced celery
- finely chopped red onion
- ripe avocado
- Dijon mustard
- half a medium avocado or 1 small avocado, cut into chunks – optional – leave out for a traditional chicken salad recipe
- fresh lemon juice
- fresh herbs – I used chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- sliced almonds, chopped pecans, walnuts or cashews
- sliced green onion
- sweet relish pickle
- sliced cherry tomatoes
- chopped hard-boiled eggs
- your favorite spices or seasonings: garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, curry, cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
IF NOT LOW CARB:
- dried cranberry / craisins for a touch of sweetness
HOW TO MAKE AVOCADO CHICKEN SALAD
- SHRED OR CHOP CHICKEN: Add chicken to a large bowl and shred with two forks or chop on a cutting board. Another great way to shred chicken is using your stand mixer.
- PREP THE VEGGIES: Mash 1 avocado then chop the onion, celery, parsley and remaining avocado into chunks.
- COMBINE INGREDIENTS: Add the chicken, mashed avocado, Dijon, chopped veggies, (plus remaining avocado), fresh lemon, salt and pepper to a large bowl and use a fork or spoon to mash, toss and combine.
- SEASON: Taste and adjust seasonings by adding more salt, black pepper and Dijon mustard to taste.
- ENJOY RIGHT AWAY: You can eat it straight out of the bowl or chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- TO CHILL IN THE FRIDGE: Cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container with a lid and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
- SERVE: Serve over a salad, in lettuce wraps, stuffed in avocados, as a casserole, in pasta salads or in a sandwich.
CAN I CHICKEN SALAD WITHOUT MAYO?
Yes! This avocado chicken salad uses 2 ripe avocados for added creaminess instead of mayo. You can also add Greek yogurt if you’re not following any particular diet such as Whole30 or paleo.
HOW LONG DOES CHICKEN SALAD LAST?
Keep in mind that since there is avocado in this creamy chicken salad recipe, it can start to turn brown quickly so we usually eat it right away or within a few hours on the same day.
The lemon juice does help prevent some browning but if that doesn’t bother you, then you can store this keto chicken salad in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
SO CAN YOU FREEZE CHICKEN SALAD?
Salad recipes with mayo should not be frozen due to oil separation resulting in a soggy texture.
WHY WE LOVE THIS WHOLE30 LUNCH RECIPE:
- it’s super easy to make in less than 10 minutes using one bowl
- uses simple pantry ingredients
- low carb, paleo, keto and Whole30 compliant
- a light and refreshing lunch or dinner for summer
- a great make-ahead recipe that works for meal prep
HOW MANY CARBS ARE IN THIS PALEO CHICKEN SALAD?
The great thing about a this Whole30 lunch recipe is that it is low in carbs and high in protein and fat so the macros fit perfectly if you’re on a keto diet.
Nutritional info for 1 serving of this Paleo chicken lunch recipe:
- 151 calories
- 1g NET carbs= 2g Total Carbs – 1g Fiber
- 19g protein
- 7g fat
- 1g sugar
CAN I USE CANNED CHICKEN?
Yes, you’re going to need three 5-ounce cans of premium chunk drained chicken breast in water.
DOES CANNED CHICKEN HAVE CARBS?
For a 1/4 cup serving size of drained chicken breast in water, the macros are:
- 60 calories
- 13g protein
- 0g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugar
- 1g fat
VARIATIONS FOR CHICKEN SALAD RECIPES:
Variations and other delicious ways you can serve :
- Whole30 chicken salad with egg
- keto chicken lettuce wraps
- paleo chicken salad stuffed avocado
- serve with lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes
- classic chicken salad sandwich that you can make using your favorite keto bread, low carb pita or a regular croissant
- creamy chicken macaroni salad that you can pack for lunch to go on picnics or meal prep for work
- make a Chinese chicken salad
- simple chicken casserole for an easy Sunday night dinner
- easy chicken pasta salad for summer barbecues, potlucks and parties
More easy salad recipes:
This Chicken Salad recipe is super easy to make with rotisserie chicken, celery, avocado, red onion, sliced almonds and lemon juice. Takes less than 10 minutes for the perfect healthy light lunch or snack. It's low carb, paleo, keto and Whole30 compliant.
- 2 cups cooked chicken , chopped (leftover or rotisserie)
- 1/4 cup celery , diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion , finely chopped
- 3 ripe avocado divided, 1 mashed & 1 cut into small chunks,
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley , chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- fine sea salt or pink salt and freshly cracked black pepper , to taste
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds , optional
SHRED OR CHOP CHICKEN: Add chicken to a large bowl and shred with two forks or chop on a cutting board. You can also use your stand mixer to shred the chicken on medium.
PREP THE VEGGIES: Use a fork to mash 1.5 of the avocados. Chop the onion, celery, parsley and the remaining 1.5 avocados.
COMBINE INGREDIENTS: Add the chicken, mashed avocado, chopped veggies, Dijon, fresh lemon, remaining avocado, salt and black pepper to a large bowl and use a fork or spoon to toss and combine. Fold in almonds, if using.
SEASON: Taste and adjust seasonings by adding more salt, pepper and Dijon mustard to taste.
ENJOY RIGHT AWAY: You can eat it straight out of the bowl or chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
TO CHILL IN THE FRIDGE: Cover with plastic wrap or store in an airtight container with a lid and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 3 days.
SERVE: Serve over a salad, in lettuce wraps or stuffed in avocados for a Whole30, Paleo or Low Carb version.
FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT HAVE DIETARY CONCERNS: Make chicken salad sandwiches using your favorite croissants or keto bread.