Grilled or skillet caprese chicken inspired by the summertime favorite caprese salad. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner and best of all, comes together on your grill or stove-top!
This is actually the first year my garden tomatoes have been doing so well and I’m totally embracing it. I didn’t inherit my mom’s green thumb at all and usually just grow some herbs along with a few greens but a couple years ago I started adding tomatoes and zucchini to the mix.
I’m not sure if it’s by luck or maybe I’m starting to get the hang of our little garden but this year I’ve managed not to kill everything in sight 🙂
It’s so simple and bursting with flavor at the same time. We’ve already made this dish three times in the last month. On the nights my husband is home, he’ll toss the chicken on the grill while I make it in a skillet on the stove when he’s not.
If you love caprese salad, then this chicken is going to become one of your favorite dishes, too.
It doesn’t get much better when you combine tangy balsamic vinegar with sweet tomatoes, salty soft mozarella, oregano, thyme and fresh basil.
It would make a wonderful lunch or light and easy weeknight meal. With it’s mighty impressive presentation it would even be perfect for a special occasion or celebration.
To me, it’s just summer on a plate ♥
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/3 cup basil finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze use more or less depending on your taste
- Season chicken with salt, oregano, and thyme.
- Preheat your outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Grill chicken for about 8 minutes each, flipping halfway through cooking time. Top chicken with mozzarella slices, cover grill and allow the chicken to cook through, about 2-3 minutes more depending on the thickness of your chicken pieces.
- While chicken is cooking, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a medium pan over medium-high heat. Stir in garlic and cook for about 1 minute, or until fragrant.
- Toss in tomatoes and continue sautéing for about 3-4 minutes, until tomatoes soften with some bursting and wrinkling. Stir in basil and remove from heat
- Pour tomato mixture on top of cooked chicken.
- Drizzle with the desired amount of balsamic vinegar/balsamic reduction and serve immediately.
Heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts, cover with a lid and cook for about 8 minutes. Flip chicken breasts and continue cooking until the chicken is no longer pink and cooked thoroughly. Transfer cooked chicken on to a plate.
Add garlic and saute for about a minute. Add tomatoes and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes start to blister and soften.
Push to one side and return the chicken back to the pan. Top with mozzarella and cover with lid for about a minute.
Dish out chicken onto plate. Stir in basil with tomatoes and top with tomatoes. Drizzle with desired amount of balsamic vinegar/balsamic reduction and serve immediately.
Adapted from Taste of Home
You Might Also Like:
One Pan Mediterranean Chicken Skillet
Thanks for reading Life Made Sweeter, you can also stay connected with me here:
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Google+ | Instagram | Bloglovin
This is the perfect way to cook chicken for summer Kelly! Those sauteed tomatoes look incredible. Beautiful pictures!