Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken – perfectly tender, juicy, roasted chicken you can make easily at home in about 45 minutes using your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Best of all, includes instructions for thawed, frozen and the oven.
What’s your idea of a perfect Sunday meal? It’s hard to choose just one but a roasted whole chicken – rotisserie style – comes pretty close.
My family loves that perfectly crispy skin and tender and juicy meat. You know what? Making your own rotisserie style chicken at home couldn’t be easier.
I love how much healthier and tastier it is to make your own rotisserie chicken at home. So much better than the ones you pick up from the grocery store. And the best part? You can store any remaining leftovers in the fridge or freezer (up to 3 months) to use in tacos, sandwiches, casseroles, soups and more to enjoy throughout the week.
We make a whole chicken at least once a week just so we can use the leftover carcass and bones for a big batch of nourishing bone broth or chicken stock.
And my new favorite way to make a roasted chicken is definitely in the Instant Pot. Now instead of 1 hour and 30 minutes, the roasted chicken cooks up in about 45 minutes from start to finish. And you know how chicken breasts are usually dry? Making chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, ensures that the breasts cook up tender and juicy.
As you can see, I made two whole chickens – one in the oven and one in the Instant Pot to compare the difference.
What’s amazing is the Instant Pot can even cook the whole chicken from frozen in about 60 minutes. And the meat cooks up super soft, tender, juicy and fall of the bone delicious! Serious game changer!
SO HOW DO YOU MAKE A WHOLE ROTISSERIE STYLE CHICKEN IN THE INSTANT POT?
- First, you’re going to loosen the skin underneath and rub the entire chicken with olive oil followed by the seasonings. This ensures that your chicken is seasoned properly with flavor and not bland.
- For the seasonings, I like to use salt, black pepper, smoked paprika, Greek seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder. Feel free to use any combination of herbs and spices you like!
- You can add a lemon, some garlic and an onion in the cavity the chicken. This adds flavor to the the chicken and helps the chicken stay juicy and moist inside. This is totally optional so feel free to skip this step if you prefer.
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute and heat up the remainder of the olive oil. Carefully add the chicken – breast side down and allow to sear/brown for about 5-6 minutes, or until brown. Using tongs and a spatula, carefully flip the chicken over to the other side. Cook undisturbed for another 5 minutes until brown.
- Carefully remove the chicken and place the trivet (mine came with the Instant Pot but you can also use your own if you have another one) at the bottom. Pour in chicken broth, stock or water
- Rub chicken with remaining seasoning and place on top of the trivet, breast side up.
- Cover with lid, and turn the valve to SEALING
- Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK for 24 minutes for a 4 lb chicken. (For a every pound of chicken, multiply that by 6 and you’ll get the time. E.g. 3lb chicken – 18 minutes & 5 lb – 30 minutes.
- To cook a whole FROZEN 4 lb chicken – set the time to 35 minutes
- It will take some time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure
- Once the chicken is done and the timer beeps, allow the pressure to release naturally – about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a large platter or a cutting board. Discard onion and lemon.
This Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken cooks up perfectly tender and juicy. Slice or shred up the breasts and divide the legs and wings to serve with your favorite sides.
WHAT CAN YOU SERVE INSTANT POT WHOLE ROTISSERIE CHICKEN WITH?
Roasted chicken goes great with some garlic mashed potatoes, wedges or sweet potato fries.
And to keep this meal low carb, keto and paleo friendly, serve with some roasted asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower or a simple salad.
Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 3 1/2 - 4 lb whole chicken
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 onion, halved optional
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon halved optional
- 1 cup chicken stock or chicken broth
In a small bowl, combine the salt, pepper, Greek seasoning, Italian seasoning, paprika, garlic and onion powder.
FOR THE INSTANT POT METHOD (THAWED CHICKEN):
Gently loosen the skin from the chicken breast with your hands lifting and separating the meat. Rub 1 tablespoon of olive oil followed by a third (1/3) of the seasonings under the skin using your hands and fingers. Next, rub another tablespoon of olive oil and the rest of the seasonings over entire chicken and inside body cavity.
Optional: place the onion, garlic cloves and lemon inside the cavity of the chicken. This helps to seal in the moisture and add flavor.
Press the SAUTE button HIGH. When the word "Hot" appears, swirl in 1 tablespoon olive oil.
Place the chicken - breast side down, in pot and sear for 5-7 minutes, or until a golden brown. Using tongs and a spatula, flip chicken over and sear for another 5 minutes, or until brown.
Remove chicken and place on a large platter. Place a trivet (the one that came with the Instant Pot or use another) inside the inner pot of the Instant Pot. Pour chicken stock or broth in pot. Place trivet on top of the chicken broth then lay chicken on top of trivet, breast side up.
Cover and lock lid. Turn the valve to SEALING.
Press the MANUAL or HIGH PRESSURE button and set to 24 minutes if your chicken is four pounds. If it's smaller or larger, calculate how much time it should cook by multiplying the number of pounds by 6 minutes. So, a 3 pound chicken would be 18 minutes and a five pound chicken would be 30. For a FROZEN WHOLE CHICKEN - set to 42 minutes ON HIGH for a 4 lb chicken. Allow the Instant Pot to come to pressure (this may take about 10-15 minutes).
Once the 24 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps indicating the chicken is done, allow to naturally release for at least 15 minutes and then quick release for any extra pressure.
Open lid and transfer chicken to a platter or a large cutting board. Optional: Broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes to crisp up the skin.
Let chicken cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.
TO ROAST IN THE OVEN INSTEAD:
Preheat oven to 450 F.
Place seasoned chicken on an oven roasting pan and cook for approximately 30 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (to prevent too much browning) and cook for an additional 40-50 minutes or until temperature reads 165 F.
Remove roasting pan. Let chicken cool for 5-10 minutes. Slice or shred and serve with your favorite sides.
Save your bones in a freezer bag until you're ready and you can make Chicken or bone broth.
More Instant Pot recipes:
How to Cook the Perfect Bowl of White or Brown Rice
20+ Easy Instant Pot Recipes Perfect for Busy Families!