Instant Pot Chicken Tacos come together in under 30 minutes in your pressure cooker for the perfect weeknight meal! Cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with a homemade Tex Mex taco seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. Best of all, low carb, keto & paleo friendly options.
Taco Tuesdays are a BIG time favorite around here. My kids are obsessed with Mexican inspired flavors and can have tacos for dinner every night if they could.
We’ve been rotating between:
It’s totally hands-off with and cooks up in just 15 minutes and you’ve got pulled chicken that cooks up so juicy, moist, tender and full of delicious flavor.
You can totally make the chicken in your slow cooker if you like. Just cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
The best thing about cooking chicken tacos in an Instant Pot is that you won’t have to wait around all day for dinner. Everything cooks in just one pot and you can have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Totally necessary on those busy school nights or when you haven’t started making dinner until after 5 pm.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TACOS
- Start off by placing the chicken in the Instant Pot. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and paprika.
- Add diced tomatoes or jarred salsa.
- Close the lid, turn the valve to sealing and cook on HIGH PRESSURE (press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button) for 7 minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, gather your taco ingredients and favorite toppings.
- Once the chicken is done, do a quick release and open the lid. Press the SAUTE button and allow sauce to cook and reduce. Using tongs, transfer the chicken to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Return the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot, add lime juice and adjust seasonings to your liking. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Serve immediately: Assemble in taco shells with toppings of your choice OR in a salad for low carb or your favorite sides.
WHAT TOPPINGS CAN I USE IN CHICKEN TACOS?
The great thing about tacos is that you can top them with whatever you like or have on hand. Or set out a taco bar and let everyone choose their favorites.
Lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, corn , radishes, jalapeno pepers, cheese, fresh lime, mango, shredded cabbage and cilantro are all delicious options.
ARE THESE INSTANT POT CHICKEN TACOS HEALTHY?
Absolutely. Making homemade tacos are so much healthier and tastier than takeout. There is no added sugar and you can add as many vegetables as you like.
IS INSTANT POT CHICKEN FREEZER-FRIENDLY?
Absolutely. You can easily make instant chicken tacos ahead of time by making a batch of the chicken and then freezing it in a glass container or resealable zip-top bag. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply reheat and serve as desired.
CAN I HAVE CHICKEN TACOS ON A LOW CARB / KETO DIET?
Tacos can definitely be enjoyed on a low carb, keto and even paleo diet.
Instant Pot Chicken Tacos come together in under 30 minutes in your pressure cooker for the perfect weeknight meal! Cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with a homemade Tex Mex taco seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. Includes low carb, keto & paleo friendly options.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 3-4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups canned fire roasted diced tomatoes OR jarred salsa
- Flour tortillas
- Your favorite toppings:
- shredded lettuce tomatoes, red bell peppers, diced avocado, shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro, thinly sliced radishes, cheese
- In a small bowl or small resealable spice jar, combine all the spices for the taco seasoning.
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot and rub the taco seasoning on both sides.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes or jarred salsa, making sure to cover the chicken.
- Close the lid and turn the valve to SEALING. Press the PRESSURE COOK (HIGH) or MANUAL button and cook for 8 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutes to come to pressure.
- While the chicken is cooked and the Instant Pot beeps, do a quick release by using a long spoon to push the valve to VENTING to release all the pressure.
- Carefully open the lid and using tongs, transfer chicken to a large bowl. Press the SAUTE button and allow the taco sauce to cook and reduce. Shred the chicken with two forks and return the shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot coating with the sauce. Squeeze in lime juice and adjust seasoning, as needed.
- Serve immediately by assembling in taco shells with toppings of your choice; over salad or with your favorite sides.