This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic is the perfect easy low carb / keto-friendly meal for spring. Best of all, this pressure cooker chicken recipe cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with instructions for the Instant Pot & stovetop.
A few of our favorites include:
YOU CAN FIND MORE POPULAR INSTANT POT RECIPES HERE:
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic is tender, juicy and full of bright and sunny flavors.
The best part is that dinner can be on the table in just 30 minutes with the help of a trusty pressure cooker. And if you don’t have an Instant Pot yet, I’ve even included instructions for the stove-top below or in this Lemon Garlic Chicken POST HERE.
The chicken cooks up tender and juicy with a delicious buttery lemon garlic sauce. It’s made with simple ingredients and packed with so much flavor.
I chose to serve this with roasted asparagus since it’s my favorite spring vegetable but broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans or any steamed or roasted vegetables you prefer would be great too!
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT LEMON CHICKEN WITH GARLIC
- You start off by seasoning the chicken with salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and red chili flakes for some heat. Feel free to leave out the chili flakes if you are sensitive to heat.
- I used chicken thighs here because I love that they stay tender but I have also made this a number of times with chicken breasts and it still comes out super flavorful.
- Next, you’re going to brown the chicken in the Instant Pot using the sauté function.
- Searing the chicken helps to seal in those amazing juices and gives the chicken that extra layer of flavor. Transfer to plate then add the butter, onions, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, chicken broth and heavy cream.
- Seal the lid on and let your pressure cooker do the rest.
**NOTE: I have the 6 Quart Instant Pot Duo and have NEVER HAD an issue with adding the amount of liquid called for in this recipe but if you do get that “burn” message, you can certainly try adding more liquid.
IS THIS INSTANT POT LEMON CHICKEN WITH GARLIC PALEO FRIENDLY?
For a paleo and Whole 30 friendly version, swap out the butter with olive oil and leave out the cream.
WHAT ELSE CAN I SERVE WITH INSTANT POT LEMON CHICKEN?
This instant pot lemon garlic chicken would go well with so many sides. I chose to serve it it alone with some roasted asparagus to keep it low carb and keto friendly but if you are looking for a heartier meal, it would go perfectly over a plate of pasta, Instant Pot quinoa or this Instant Pot rice.
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic is a quick and easy dish bursting with bright and fresh flavors.
It’s also low in carbs and perfect for spring and any busy weeknight!
More Instant Pot recipes you might like:
This Instant Pot Lemon Chicken with Garlic - the perfect easy meal for spring. Best of all, this chicken cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with instructions for the pressure cooker and stovetop.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin*
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes optional or to taste
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons butter (swap with olive oil for paleo)
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2-4 teaspoons Italian seasoning (I actually usually use 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoon but feel free to adjust to your liking)
- zest of half a lemon
- 1/3 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth **PLEASE SEE NOTES BELOW
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream leave out for paleo
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish if desired
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, and chili flakes.
Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. (I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO)
- Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
Melt butter in Instant Pot and stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth.
Place the chicken back into the Instant Pot, lock the lid, and turn the valve to SEALING.
- Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 7 minutes.
It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
When done, release the pressure after 2 minutes, then remove your Instant Pot lid.
Remove chicken from Instant Pot using tongs and set aside on a large serving plate. Stir in heavy cream (if using) into the Instant Pot. If you like your sauce thicker - you can thicken with a cornstarch slurry (if not low carb) or arrowroot starch slurry (or xanthan gum) by mixing 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (arrowroot starch) mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water). Press off and turn Instant Pot to SAUTE function. Cook and allow the sauce to bubble and thicken. Turn off and add chicken back to the Instant Pot to coat with sauce. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 4-5 on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
Return pan back to heat and melt butter. Stir in onion and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest, and chicken broth. Stir in heavy cream [if you like your sauce thicker - you can thicken with a cornstarch slurry (if not low carb) or arrowroot starch slurry (or xanthan gum) by mixing 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch (arrowroot starch) mixed with 1 teaspoon cold water].
Once the sauce has bubbled and thickened up slightly, add the chicken back into the pan until hot. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Serve with your favorite sides and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.
*For chicken breasts: use 3 breasts, sliced horizontally in half.
****I use ⅓ cup of broth combined with the juice from the lemon in my 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO with no problems or *burning sign - if needed you can increase the amount of liquid if this combination doesn't work for your Instant Pot model