Lemon Chicken Asparagus Pasta – this easy one pan recipe makes the perfect 30 minute meal for busy weeknights. Best of all, so simple to customize and full of bright spring flavors!
This recipe first appeared on The Recipe Critic
With spring finally in full swing around here, I can’t get enough of all the fresh produce we’re seeing everywhere.
Asparagus is by far my favorite spring vegetable and I love pairing it with lemon and garlic.
So, the next best thing? Throwing them together with some tender chicken and creamy pasta, for one simple and amazing meal! And it comes together in just 30 minutes so it’s just perfect for those busy weeknights!
Is Lemon Chicken Asparagus Pasta Easy to Make?
This Lemon Chicken Asparagus Pasta recipe is a quick and easy dish bursting with bright and fresh flavors. And I love that it’s pretty simple to customize by tossing in any other veggies. I think the lemon chicken pasta would be delicious with the addition of:
- sliced carrots
- fresh mushrooms
- fresh peas
- spring onions
Pasta Choices for Lemon Chicken Skillet Pasta
For this easy lemon chicken asparagus pasta recipe, I used farfalle (bow tie pasta), but penne or any other medium-length pasta you like would be delicious.
The chicken, asparagus and creamy lemon garlic sauce cook up in the same pan, soaking in all those refreshing flavors.
Serve with some cheesy parmesan, fresh lemon slices and chopped parsley for an incredibly tasty family-friendly dinner!
Cooking tips for this Lemon Chicken Asparagus Pasta Recipe:
- cook pasta the day before and store in a large zip-top freezer bag in the fridge
- trim asparagus the day before and store in a large zip-top freezer bag in the fridge
- combine all the dried herbs ahead of time and store in a [amazon_textlink asin=’B01JCNEICQ’ text=’small airtight container’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’lifmadswe09-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’38fff2d0-8143-11e8-a37a-89d27991865e’] or zip-top bag
- leftovers are delicious when packed in school lunchboxes or work lunch bowls.
- a big batch would be great for meal prep Sundays
- use [amazon_textlink asin=’B018YI71IS’ text=’gluten free pasta’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’lifmadswe09-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0d80168a-8143-11e8-8a05-5da5df8e2c67′] if necessary
- 7 ounces dried pasta I used bow tie(use gluten free if necessary)
- 1½ Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch chunks or strips
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 Tablespoons butter unsalted
- 1½ Tablespoons minced garlic divided
- 1 pound asparagus ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices for garnish if desired
- In a large pot bring water to a boil and add the pasta. Cook according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt, black pepper, and oregano. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and cook for another minute, until fragrant. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet and melt over medium-high heat. Add remaining minced garlic and asparagus and sauté for 1 minute, until just starting to turn bright green. Whisk in the cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic powder, oregano, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese. Allow the sauce to thicken and cheese to melt. Add the drained pasta and chicken back into the skillet. Season with salt and black pepper to taste (I used about 1½ teaspoons salt + ½ teaspoon black pepper). Toss to coat well until everything is heated through.
- Serve hot and sprinkle with more parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and lemon slices, if desired.
More easy dinners: