This easy Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken recipe is perfect for busy weeknights! A pressure cooker chicken recipe that cooks up tender, juicy chicken full of flavor.
PIN HERE for later and follow my boards for more recipes
The busy fall season calls for lots of cozy and fuss-free meals at our house. And if you’ve been around here for a while, you’ll know that I am a BIG time Instant Pot fan.
Nothing gets dinner on the table quicker and easier than the Instant Pot! A few of our favorite easy weeknight meals to meal prep are Instant Pot Beef Stew and this Instant Pot Whole Chicken.
This Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken is the perfect comforting dish for busy weeknights. The chicken cooks up in under 30 minutes in the pressure cooker and is tender, juicy in a deliciously fresh and tangy lemony balsamic sauce. It’s packed with flavor and has a hint of sweetness from the tangy balsamic vinegar.
I chose to serve the chicken with carrots, potatoes, and asparagus for an all in one complete meal for the family.
This dish is paleo, Whole30 compliant and to keep this dish low carb and keto-friendly, you can serve the chicken with broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini or Brussels sprouts instead.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT BALSAMIC CHICKEN:
- You start off by seasoning the chicken with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- I used chicken thighs here because I love that they stay tender but I have also made this a number of times with chicken breasts and it still comes out super flavorful.
- Next, you’re going to brown the chicken in the Instant Pot using the sauté function.
- Searing the chicken helps to seal in those amazing juices and gives the chicken that extra layer of flavor. Transfer to plate then add the butter, garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasonoing and chicken broth.
- Add the vegetables, cover and lock the lid and let your pressure cooker do the rest.
- OPTIONAL STEP TO THICKEN THE SAUCE: If you want prefer your sauce on the thicker side, transfer the chicken and vegetables to a large serving platter then turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Add xanthan gum (or arrowroot starch for Paleo) and allow the sauce to simmer and thicken. Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables. Garnish with parsley.
**NOTE: I have the 6 Quart Instant Pot Duo and have NEVER HAD an issue with adding the amount of liquid called for in this recipe but if you do get that “burn” message, you can certainly try adding more liquid.
IS THIS INSTANT POT BALSAMIC CHICKEN WHOLE 30, PALEO OR KETO-FRIENDLY?
Yes. This easy balsamic chicken is paleo friendly and Whole 30 compliant.
And if you serve the chicken with low carb vegetables like asparagus, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, sauteed spinach or broccoli, this recipe fits perfect into a ketogenic lifestyle.
IS INSTANT POT CHICKEN FREEZER-FRIENDLY?
Yes. The great thing about making chicken in a multi-cooker is that you can make a big batch ahead of time on your meal prep Sunday and freeze it for later.
Allow the chicken to cool down. Store separately from the sides in an airtight container or freezer-friendly zip-top bags.
WHAT ELSE CAN I SERVE WITH INSTANT POT BALSAMIC CHICKEN?
This instant pot balsamic chicken would be delicious on its own but also goes well with so many sides.
A few great options include honey roasted carrots, garlic potatoes, and roasted asparagus. Feel free to use whatever vegetables that you have in your fridge or pantry.
Also, if you are looking for a heartier meal, it would go perfectly over a plate of pasta, Instant Pot quinoa or this Instant Pot rice.
More Instant Pot recipes you might like:
One Pot Rice with Teriyaki Chicken and Vegetables
Chicken Cacciatore (Instant Pot)
Instant Pot Balsamic Chicken is the perfect easy one pan meal for busy weeknights. Best of all, this pressure cooker chicken recipe cooks up tender, juicy and full of flavor with instructions for the Instant Pot & stovetop.
- 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin*
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons ghee (can use butter if not paleo or Whole30)
- 3 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup homemade or low sodium chicken broth **PLEASE SEE NOTES BELOW
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum , optional for thickening sauce (leave out for Whole 30)
- Chopped fresh parsley if desired
- Instant Pot ( I have the 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO)
- OR Cast Iron Skillet
- 1/2 lb carrots , (leave out for low carb / keto)
- 1/2 lb baby potatoes , cut in half (swap with cauliflower for keto / low carb)
- 1/2 bunch asparagus , ends trimmed
Season the chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
Press the Sauté function (Normal setting) on the Instant Pot and add the olive oil to the pot. (I use a 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO PLUS)
Place chicken in the Instant Pot and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown. This helps to seal in the juices and keep it tender. (You may have to work in batches depending on the size and amount of chicken you are using). Once browned, carefully remove the chicken and place on a plate.
- Melt ghee (or butter) in Instant Pot and stir in the garlic. Add lemon juice and balsamic vinegar to deglaze the pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning and chicken broth.
- Use tongs to add the chicken back into the pot. Add the carrots and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and lock the lid, then turn the valve to SEALING.
Select the Manual (older models) or Pressure Cook (newer models) button and adjust the timer to 4 minutes.
- It will take about 5-10 minutes to come to pressure and start counting down.
When done, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then push the valve to VENTING. Remove the lid.
Remove chicken, potatoes and carrots from Instant Pot and set aside on a large serving plate. To thicken the sauce (OPTIONAL), press CANCEL then SAUTE. Add the asparagus and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to the same serving plate as the chicken. To thicken sauce, stir in xanthan gum (or arrowroot starch slurry for Paleo) and allow to simmer and bubble, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon sauce over chicken and vegetables and garnish with chopped parsley.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat add olive and cook for 4-5 on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return pan back to heat and melt ghee (or butter)r. Stir in the garlic. Add lemon juice and balsamic vinegar to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning and chicken broth.
- To thicken the sauce (OPTIONAL), simmer for 3-4 minutes, until sauce has reduced and thickened up slightly,
- Add the chicken back into the pan until hot. Spoon sauce over chicken and sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides.
Nutritional info is calculated for the chicken only.
*For chicken breasts: use 3 breasts, sliced horizontally in half.
****I use ⅓ cup of broth combined with the juice from the lemon in my 6 Quart Instant Pot DUO PLUS with no problems or *burning sign - if needed you can increase the amount of liquid if this combination doesn't work for your Instant Pot model
yum, we make this one all the time, it’s my son’s favorite! thanks for a delicious and easy recipe.