Lemon Garlic Chicken – an easy one pan dish perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, this low carb, keto-friendly recipe cooks up tender, juicy and full of delicious flavor in under 30 minutes.
September and the return of back-to-school means easy one pot meals are the ones I turn to the most during busy weeknights. I figure with all the school drop-offs, pick-ups, lunch packing and homework going on, the less dishes I have to wash, the better!
This One Pan Lemon Garlic Chicken is kinda sorta adapted from my Instant Pot Lemon Chicken. It’s a BIG-TIME reader favorite and we’re using a lot of the same ingredients like butter, lemon juice, garlic and herbs. And instead of cooking this tasty meal in the Instant Pot, everything comes together in under 30 minutes on a large 12″ skillet.
The chicken cooks up tender and juicy with a delicious buttery lemon garlic sauce. It’s made with simple ingredients and packed with so much flavor.
What I love about this recipe is how simple it is to customize. You can use chicken thighs or chicken breasts and serve it along your favorite sides.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN
- You start off by seasoning the chicken with salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Next, you’re going to brown the chicken in a medium-sized skillet or cast iron pan until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
- Return the pan back to heat and melt butter. Stir in the onions and garlic. Add lemon juice, Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth. Stir in heavy cream and allow to bubble and thicken up.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and coat with sauce.
- Serve hot with chopped parsley along with your favorite sides.
IS THIS LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN PALEO FRIENDLY?
For a paleo lemon garlic chicken recipe, leave out the butter and cream. and use olive oil or avocado oil to brown the chicken.
HOW TO MAKE LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN AHEAD OF TIME:
With two active kids, we make a lot of meals ahead of time and store them in the freezer. They are an absolute lifesaver during busy weeks!
- Assemble the chicken, spices, garlic and chicken broth in a large zip-top freezer bag.
- Squeeze out as much air as possible.
- Freeze flat for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to cook, thaw completely before browning and add the heavy cream later.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH THIS LEMON GARLIC CHICKEN:
This lemon garlic chicken would go well with so many low carb sides:
- roasted asparagus,
- zucchini or zucchini noodles
- green beans
- any other grilled or roasted vegetables you like
My family loves anything lemon and this Lemon Garlic Chicken is bursting with our favorite bright and fresh flavors. Plus, it’s an easy ketogenic, low carb meal that cooks quickly so it’s perfect for any busy weeknight!
More one pot recipes you might like:
Lemon Garlic Chicken - an easy one pan dish perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, this low carb, keto-friendly recipe cooks up tender, juicy and full of delicious flavor in under 30 minutes.
- 4 medium chicken breasts (pounded to even thickness) OR OR 6-8 boneless chicken thighs skinless or with skin
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter , swap with olive oil for paleo
- 1/2 small onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves sliced or minced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons heavy cream , leave out for paleo
- Chopped fresh parsley and lemon slices , optional for garnish
- Cast Iron Skillet
Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Heat olive oil in a medium-sized cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until chicken reaches 165 degrees. Transfer browned chicken to plate and set aside.
Return pan back to heat and melt butter. Stir onions and garlic. Add lemon juice to deglaze pan and cook for 1 minute. Add Italian seasoning, lemon zest and chicken broth. Stir in heavy cream and allow to thicken and bubble. Add the chicken back into the pan until heated through.
- Sprinkle chicken with chopped parsley and serve hot with your favorite sides. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with lemon slices, if desired.