Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken – this recipe is the perfect set and forget meal with a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce. Best of all, just 10 minutes of prep made in your Instant Pot pressure cooker.
Teriyaki chicken is a one of our favorite Japanese takeout dishes we make at home.
We usually rotate between:
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken
- One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Zoodles
- One Pot Teriyaki Rice with Chicken
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Teriyaki Salmon
- Teriyaki Chicken Foil Packets
- Beef Teriyaki Zoodles
- Shrimp Teriyaki Noodles
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Caesar Salad
Ever since getting my Instant Pot last year, I love making this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken. It’s seriously so easy to make and bursting with authentic sweet and savory flavors.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT TERIYAKI CHICKEN
To make this Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken, you won’t need that bottled teriyaki sauce. This homemade teriyaki sauce recipe takes just seven simple pantry ingredients. Soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, mirin (dry sherry or rice wine), sesame oil, garlic and ginger.
Just stir the sauce ingredients together, place the chicken in your Instant Pot then pour the teriyaki sauce over the top.
Plus, the chicken soaks in all that amazing sweet and savory sauce. Once the chicken is nice and tender, just grab two forks and shred them into bite-sized pieces.
And you can serve this over your favorite rice, quinoa or noodles.
Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and scallions and you’ve got a delicious meal that can easily rival your local take-out restaurant.
SOME MEAL PREPPING TIPS FOR THIS SLOW COOKER TERIYAKI CHICKEN:
- Mix the sauce ingredients together the day before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge
- Make the rice or noodles the day before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge
- Weekly meal prep or the leftovers can be packed into lunch containers for the week – I use this lunch container
- Pack with your favorite vegetables (broccoli & edamame shown here) and carbs – Jasmine rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables – zoodles
Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce (or can use tamari or coconut aminos for gluten free or paleo)
- 1/3 cup honey (use low carb sweetener as needed)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon Mirin (or dry sherry) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated or minced ginger
OPTIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE
- 1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce (optional for darker carmelized color)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes or sriracha, optional for an extra kick of heat
CORN STARCH SLURRY
- 2 1/2 tablespoons corn starch (or arrowroot/tapioca starch for paleo)
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- For garnish: sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- For lunch bowls: cooked rice, quinoa or noodles, cooked shelled edamame beans, roasted or stir-fried broccoli (or other vegetable of your choice), lunch containers
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Allow to marinate while you whisk together the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and pour over chicken.
- Close and seal Instant Pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press MANUAL (old models) or PRESSURE COOK (new models) on high for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutest to come to pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking the chicken and beeps, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Open lid and remove chicken from Instant Pot and shred with two forks.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot. Combine the corn starch with water and stir into the Instant Pot. Allow the sauce to bubble and thicken up. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and combine with sauce and heat until hot. Serve with any remaining sauce along with your favorite rice, quinoa or noodles.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over rice, quinoa or zoodles, if desired.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!
More Instant Pot recipes: