One Pot Cashew Chicken Rice makes the perfect easy weeknight meal. Best of all, everything cooks up in only ONE pan in just 30 minutes. Plus [amazon_textlink asin=’B076QJNK8G’ text=’Instant Pot’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’lifmadswe09-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a3cbe831-427b-11e8-8913-851a0a13b001′] instructions.
Updated photos and post March 2018 from original August 2017
With back to school starting next week for us, quick and easy meals are going to be happening a lot around here. To help me get through those busy weeknights, I am always relying on lots of skillet, slowcooker and sheet pan meals.
There’s just something so satisfying about a delicious meal coming together in just ONE PAN. Dishes are my least favorite chore so having minimal pots and pans to clean up is always a bonus.
Since this One Pot Teriyaki Rice with Chicken has been such a hit, I thought I would add another one pot spin to my son’s favorite takeout dish.
My son loves loves loves cashews and especially Cashew chicken. This 3o minute One Pot Cashew Chicken Rice has all those same flavors as his restaurant favorite cooked all in ONE pan – including the rice.
This One Pot Cashew Chicken is super easy to customize with your favorite veggies.
For this recipe I used carrots, red and green bell peppers. Feel free to add broccoli or anything else you have on hand.
Easy, flavorful and perfect for busy weeknights.
HELPFUL AND MAKE-AHEAD-TIPS FOR THIS ONE POT CASHEW CHICKEN RICE:
- Chop the vegetables ahead of time the day before and store in a clear [amazon_textlink asin=’B001KWMERO’ text=’zip-top freezer bag’ template=’ProductLink’ store=’lifmadswe09-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’8fd2fda4-427b-11e8-96e3-c7fabab02788′] in the fridge
- Use minute rice if you’re short on time – just remember to adjust the covered cooking time to 5-10 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Brown rice works as well but will take longer, about 30 minutes, covered.
- Make the sauce ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge
More recipes you might like:
One Pot Cashew Chicken Rice makes the perfect easy weeknight meal. Best of all, everything cooks up in only ONE pan in just 30 minutes. Plus Instant Pot instructions.
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 3 Tablespoons water plus more as needed to thin out sauce
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons toasted sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 medium boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon grated or minced ginger
- 1 cup chopped red and green bell peppers
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked Jasmine rice washed, rinsed and drained thoroughly (or other long grained rice)
- 1 1/2 cups water only 1 cup if cooking in the Instant Pot
- 2/3 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- sesame seeds for garnish
- chopped green onions for garnish
In a large 12" skillet, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, and cornstarch. Slowly whisk in the water and place on medium high heat, bringing to a boil until thickened. Add more water as needed to thin out the sauce to desired consistency. Transfer sauce to a heat safe bowl.
- Wipe down the same pan with a damp cloth, then heat 2 tablespoons of sesame oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring until lightly browned.
- Add the garlic and ginger, stirring for 20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the bell peppers and carrots and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the sauce, reserving the rest for drizzling at the end. Add the uncooked rice and slowly pour in the water.
- Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to medium and cover pan.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Open the lid and stir in the cashews.
- Remove from heat and drizzle with the desired amount of sauce to taste and consistency desired (you can save the rest for a stir-fry next time).
Serve hot garnished with sesame seeds and green onions if desired.
- Open the lid of the Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button, allow to preheat for a few minutes until you hear a beep.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, and sesame oil; set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to SAUTE mode. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of sesame oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until lightly brown. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for another 20 seconds. Pour in 1/2 of the sauce, the uncooked rice and the 1 cup of water.
- Place the lid on, and lock it, setting the valve to sealing.
- Press MANUAL (old model) high pressure or PRESSURE COOK (high) and set for 3 minutes.
- Once the 3 minutes is up and the Instant Pot beeps, allow the pressure cooker to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Carefully remove the lid and press CANCEL then the SAUTE button. Add the bell peppers and carrots and stir until tender. Sprinkle in cashews, sesame seeds, and green onions, if desired. Whisk the cornstarch slurry together with the reserved amount of sauce and drizzle in desired amount into Instant Pot (you can save the rest for a stir-fry next time) and serve hot with sesame seeds and green onions, if desired