Cashew Chicken Sheet Pan is an easy all in one meal with all the flavors of the popular Chinese restaurant takeout dish. Best of all, it’s perfect for busy weeknights and simple to customize with paleo and keto friendly options. Plus a recipe video!
Sheet Pan meals – I can’t seem to stop making them. They are just too. darn. easy and make clean up a breeze. Life has been kind of busy so sheet pan meals are totally saving us when it comes to dinner.
Our latest favorite – this Cashew Chicken Sheet Pan which is a fun twist on this Healthier Cashew Chicken.
This popular Chinese takeout dish also happens to be one of my son’s favorites. He is crazy about anything with cashews and I love that it’s a great excuse to sneak in those extra veggies.
This Cashew Chicken Sheet Pan starts off with tender juicy chicken that gets coated in a sweet and savory sticky sauce made with just a few ingredients.
DO YOU HAVE ANY SUBSTITUTIONS I CAN USE?
Yes. If you are following a gluten free, paleo or keto friendly diet, I’ve listed some substitutes that you can use instead:
- gluten free tamari (this is the one I use) or coconut aminos for a paleo & keto version
- hoisin sauce – use a gluten free sauce or you are totally free to make your own paleo-friendly version – leave out for low carb / ketogenic friendly version
- apple cider vinegar
- honey (use raw for paleo) or swap in low carb sweetener (erythritol, stevia or monk fruit) for low carb or keto
It’s a simple weeknight dish and the great thing about this healthier than restaurant dish? There is hardly any active cooking time at all so you’re not slaving away by the stove.
Plus, you get a generous serving of broccoli and bell peppers so it’s an awesome way to get your family to eat some extra veggies.
HOW CAN I PREP THIS CASHEW CHICKEN SHEET PAN ON MY MEAL PREP DAY?
One of the best parts about this dish is how quickly it all comes together…especially if you have everything prepped ahead of time or even the night before.
- Cut the chicken into chunks and place into a zip-top freezer bag in the fridge the night before
- Chop the veggies and place in zip-top bags or resealable containers in the fridge the night before
- Combine all the ingredients for the sauce and store in a small glass resealable container in the fridge the night before
- If you plan on serving this with zoodles (paleo), quinoa or steamed rice – those can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge.
WHERE CAN I GET THOSE LUNCH CONTAINERS?
This cashew chicken works great for Sunday meal prep recipe and leftovers work great for school lunchboxes or work lunch bowls – I use this lunch container and also this glass one which has three compartments.
Cashew Chicken Sheet Pan is an easy all in one meal with all the flavors of the popular Chinese restaurant takeout dish. Best of all, it's perfect for busy weeknights and simple to customize with paleo and low carb / keto friendly options.
- 6 Tablespoons low sodium-soy sauce coconut aminos for paleo
- 1 Tablespoon hoisin sauce use paleo homemade or omit for low carb
- ¾ Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons honey or low carb sweetener (erythritol / monk fruit / stevia)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- ½ teaspoon fresh minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot starch for paleo (leave out for low carb or use 1 teaspoon xanthum gum)
- ½ cup water plus more as needed to thin out sauce
- 2 medium skinless boneless chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1" inch cubes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 ½ cups broccoli florets about 1 head
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ green bell pepper optional
- 2/3 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- lunch containers
- your favorite side: zoodles, cauliflower rice, white or brown rice, quinoa, noodles, potatoes etc.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vinegar, honey, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, and water until combined. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently, until sauce thickens and bubbles. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper or foil coated with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season chicken with salt and black pepper then drizzle spoonfuls of sauce over the chicken coating well on both sides. Reserve at least half of the sauce for later.
- Cook in preheated oven for 8 minutes then remove the pan.
- Arrange the broccoli florets, bell peppers, and cashews in a single layer around the chicken. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and drizzle spoonfuls of the sauce and toss everything to coat. Return to the oven and cook for another 8-12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.**
- Remove pan from oven and drizzle with remaining sauce. Serve over rice or quinoa and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Divide chicken into lunch containers and add cooked rice, quinoa or potatoes.