Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken – this recipe is the perfect set and forget meal with a delicious homemade teriyaki sauce. Best of all, just 10 minutes of prep made in a crock-pot or your Instant Pot pressure cooker. Plus step-by-step recipe video!
Blog post updated from February 2015 post
Teriyaki Chicken was one of the very first dishes I had back in high school when I started experimenting with Japanese cuisine. I wasn’t brave enough to try sushi yet, so Teriyaki Chicken seemed like the safest bet.
Fast forward to today and I am now crazy about sushi and you can see that anything with teriyaki sauce still show up regularly around here.
And if you do too, here are a few other easy recipes to get you started:
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- One Pot Teriyaki Chicken Zoodles
- One Pot Teriyaki Rice with Chicken
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Chicken
- Baked Teriyaki Salmon
- Teriyaki Chicken Foil Packets
- Beef Teriyaki Zoodles
- Shrimp Teriyaki Noodles
- Grilled Pineapple Teriyaki Chicken Caesar Salad
I decided to re-post this Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken with some updated photos and included instructions for the Instant Pot.
And for those that are following the paleo diet, I’ve also included some substitutes that you can use.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken couldn’t be easier to make. It’s a simple set and forget meal with just 10 minutes of prep making it just perfect for busy weeknights.
Skip the bottled sauce by making this homemade teriyaki sauce. It’s super easy to make with soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, Mirin, garlic and ginger.
Mirin is pretty easy to find these days in the International section of most large grocery stores and online but you can definitely leave it out or use dry sherry or rice wine instead.
Everything gets tossed into the slow cooker while the chicken soaks in all that amazing sweet and savory sauce. Once the chicken is nice and tender, just grab two forks and shred them into bite-sized pieces.
You can serve this over your favorite rice, quinoa or noodles. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and scallions and you’ve got a delicious meal that can easily rival your local take-out restaurant.
This Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken would also make great leftovers or if you prep this on your Sunday meal prep, you can have yummy work or school lunches for the rest of the week.
SOME MEAL PREPPING TIPS FOR THIS SLOW COOKER TERIYAKI CHICKEN:
- Mix the sauce ingredients together the day before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge
- Make the rice or noodles the day before and store in an air-tight container in the fridge
- Weekly meal prep or the leftovers can be packed into lunch containers for the week – I use this lunch container
- Pack with your favorite vegetables (broccoli & edamame shown here) and carbs – Jasmine rice, brown rice, cauliflower rice or spiralized vegetables – zoodles
More lunch bowl ideas:
More take-out favorites:
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken (+ Instant Pot) MEAL PREP + VIDEO
Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki makes the perfect easy set and forget crock-pot meal. Best of all, only 10 minutes of prep with a delicious homemade Teriyaki sauce. Skip the takeout!
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- 2/3 cups low sodium soy sauce (or can use tamari or coconut aminos for gluten free or paleo)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar for paleo)
- 1 tablespoon Mirin (or dry sherry) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated or minced ginger
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes or Sriracha sauce, optional
CORN STARCH SLURRY
- 2 tablespoons corn starch (or arrowroot/tapioca starch for paleo)
- 3 tablespoon cold water
- For garnish: sliced green onions, sesame seeds
- For lunch bowls: cooked rice, quinoa or noodles, cooked shelled edamame beans, roasted or stir-fried broccoli (or other vegetable of your choice), lunch containers
- For Slow Cooker Method: Place the chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- To thicken sauce, combine the corn starch with water and stir into the slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for another 30-40 minutes, or until sauce has bubbled and thickened up (You can thicken the sauce in a saucepan on the stove top at medium high heat, if that works better for you). Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Shred chicken into pieces with two forks and serve with any remaining sauce along with your favorite rice, quinoa or noodles.
- For lunch bowls, make rice and vegetables and divide evenly among lunch containers. Add chicken and drizzle on remaining sauce. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
- For Instant Pot Method:
- Place the chicken in the Instant Pot.
- In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, vinegar, mirin, sesame oil, garlic and ginger and pour over chicken.
- Close and seal Instant Pot.
- Turn the venting knob to SEALING and press MANUAL (old models) or PRESSURE COOK (new models) on high for 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will take a few minutest to come to pressure.
- Once the Instant Pot has finished cooking the chicken and beeps, allow to naturally release for 15 minutes.
- Open lid and remove chicken from Instant Pot and shred with two forks.
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot. Combine the corn starch with water and stir into the Instant Pot. Allow the sauce to bubble and thicken up. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt, black pepper and/or hot chili flakes needed. Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and combine with sauce and heat until hot. Serve with any remaining sauce along with your favorite rice, quinoa or noodles.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over rice, quinoa or zoodles, if desired.
I'd love to see! Just snap a photo and hashtag it #LIFEMADESWEETER or tag me @lifemadesweeter on Instagram!