Chili Lime Steak Tacos are full of flavor and loaded with all the classic taco-truck toppings. Best of all, this recipe can be made on the grill or a skillet and the steak is perfectly tender, juicy and perfect for Cinco de Mayo or your next Taco Tuesday.
Pin for later and follow my recipe boards for more recipe ideas
We have been on a major taco kick lately. If you asked my family, every night would be Taco Tuesday. They are one of those foods you could literally eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and have become one of our go-to weeknight meals.
Plus, they come together quickly and are very simple to customize with your favorite vegetables and protein.
These Chili Lime Steak Tacos are a big family favorite. You can make them on a skillet during the busy weeknight but they’re also perfect for grilling season for an amazing weekend meal. The steak cooks up juicy, tender with the most amazing bold and smoky Tex-Mex flavors.
HOW TO MAKE CHILI LIME STEAK TACOS:
- Start off by marinating thinly sliced flank steak in some lime juice along with a homemade chili seasoning.
- The great thing about this quick and easy recipe is that you don’t have to marinate the steak for hours – no longer than 30 minutes or the steak will get mushy.
- For the grill – Grill at high heat until desired doneness.
- For the stove – Sear on medium high heat until desired doneness.
- Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes before slicing so you don’t lose all of the juice and flavor.
- Be sure to cut the steak across the grain since it helps to break up the muscle fibers.
- Serve these chili lime steak tacos inside heated flour or corn tortillas along with your favorite toppings. We use shredded cabbage, sauteed mushrooms, red bell peppers, avocado slices, cilantro, Colby Jack and Queso blanco.
CAN I MAKE THESE STEAK TACOS LOW CARB?
You can totally enjoy this recipe if you’re on a low carb diet. Just swap out the corn or flour tortillas for lettuce leaves – like these Chili Lime Steak Lettuce Wrap, these coconut wraps (I love these ones), low carb tortillas or make your own cheese taco shells.
WHAT OTHER TOPPINGS CAN I USE FOR THESE STEAK TACOS:
Feel free to add some sliced red onion, diced tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, guacamole or salsa.
These Chili Lime Steak Tacos make a great summer meal on your patio or anytime you want to throw your own Mexican fiesta.
You might also like:
Grilled Steak Tacos are full of flavor and loaded with all the classic taco-truck toppings. Best of all, the steak is perfectly tender, juicy and perfect for Cinco de Mayo or any Taco Tuesday.
- 1 1/2 pounds flank or flat iron steak
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- olive oil for grill (OR 1 tablespoon Butter for skillet)
- small flour or corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup slaw mix or shredded red and green cabbage
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup sauteed mushrooms (optional)
- Shredded Colby Jack
- Queso blanco or Queso fresco, goat cheese or feta
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Place the steak in a large zip-top bag. Add lime juice, zest, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and garlic. Seal the bag and press the marinade with your fingers to help the marinade adhere to the steak. Allow to sit for no longer than 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to high heat. Lightly coat a paper towel with the olive oil and using long tongs, carefully rub the oiled towel over the grill rack. Place steak directly on the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and allow the steak rest on a cutting board, covered with foil, for 8 minutes.
Heat a cast iron skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat. When hot, add butter and IMMEDIATELY add the steak to the pan (to avoid burning). Sear for 3 minutes without moving the steak (to form a crust). Turn and cook for 3 to 4 minutes for medium rare to medium (or cook longer for the desired doneness). Remove from pan and allow the steak rest on a cutting board, covered with foil, for 8 minutes.
While the steak is resting, warm the flour or corn tortillas.
Cut the steak into strips, against the grain. Divide the steak strips in the tortillas and top with shredded cabbage, red peppers, avocado, cilantro, colby jack and queso. Serve warm with lime wedges and any additional toppings.
I have made this twice and it is soooo good!!! Love it!!