Healthy Taco Bowls – a quick & delicious lightened up 30 minute lunch or dinner perfect for busy weeknights. Best of all, made with a flavorful homemade Tex-Mex seasoning and options for low carb, keto and meal prep.
They are super simple to customize with your favorite toppings and Tex-Mex spices. And the best part? You can make your own Mexican fiesta right at home in under 30 minutes so they are perfect for Taco Tuesdays or any busy weeknight.
HOW TO MAKE TACO BOWLS?
- You’re going to start off by browning your meat with some taco seasoning. The great thing about this recipe is that you can use the homemade recipe below or swap in your favorite brand of taco seasoning.
- Next, to lighten things up, we served these over cauliflower rice for a lower carb option but feel free to use cilantro, brown rice or quinoa instead.
- Wash and prep your veggies and layer them into bowls. We used corn, grape tomatoes, shredded cabbage (red and green) and black beans. See below for low carb options.
CAN I SWITCH UP THE MEAT AND VEGETABLES?
Absolutely. If you’re not a fan of ground beef, you can use turkey, chicken or leave out the meat for a vegan taco bowl. Add shredded lettuce and swap out the tomatoes with salsa or a dollop of guacamole.
ARE THESE TACO BOWLS LOW CARB AND KETO-FRIENDLY?
- For a low carb and keto-friendly option, leave out the corn and black beans and swap in some olives, zucchini and orange and yellow bell peppers instead.
CAN YOU PREP THESE TACO BOWLS AHEAD OF TIME?
- Yes. You can prep these bowls ahead on your Sunday Meal Prep by dividing them into these 2 compartment lunch containers.
- To avoid the tomatoes from getting soggy, you can pack them separately in a zip-top bag or use whole cherry tomatoes.
- Pack with guacamole, salsa or a whole avocado to avoid your avocado from browning or getting mushy.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 lb ground beef or turkey
- 2 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Cauliflower rice (or use your favorite cooked rice or quinoa
- 1 cup corn kernels fresh cooked or frozen and drained (leave out for low-carb/keto)
- 1/2 cup canned black beans rinsed and drained (leave out for low-carb/keto)
- 1/2 cup shredded cabbage green & red
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- sliced olives, diced yellow peppers, sliced zucchini
- shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, salsa, guacamole, tortilla chips etc.
- In a small bowl or small resealable spice jar, combine all the spices for the taco seasoning. You can save any leftovers for the next time.
In a large nonstick skillet, over medium-high heat, cook the ground meat, breaking down into small pieces while it cooks. After about 3 minutes, add 1 tablespoon of the taco seasoning and continue cooking until the meat is no longer pink and cooked through. Stir in the tomato paste and vinegar and cook for another 2 minutes or until everything is heated through. Taste and add more seasoning as needed.
Divide cauliflower rice amongst bowls or lunch containers. Top with a serving of cooked meat, corn, black beans, shredded cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and one lime wedge.
- Add additional taco toppings as desired.