Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas are tender, juicy and full of flavor and perfect for busy weeknights! Made all one one sheet pan in under 30 minutes with a homemade fajita spice blend and a Tex-Mex inspired marinade. Includes options for low carb, paleo, Whole30 and keto.
Updated May 2019 from April 2018
We are big fans of Mexican inspired dishes at our house. Especially fajitas – they are a family-favorite and happen a lot around here. The truth is, if you asked my husband, EVERY day would either be Taco Tuesday or Fajita Friday.
A few of the recipes we rotate between:
These Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas are super simple to customize and a fun way to switch up any weeknight meal. Everything cooks up on one baking sheet so this recipe takes hardly any effort anytime you feel like throwing a Mexican fiesta. The best part though? Clean-up is a breeze!
EVER WONDERED WHAT THE DIFFERENCE IS BETWEEN TACOS AND FAJITAS?
The main difference between fajitas and tacos are the filling.
Fajitas are typically made with grilled or sauteed peppers and onions which are cut into strips.
Tacos are more like a sandwich and the filling can be made with just about anything. The vegetables are usually chopped or sliced and served raw as a topping.
REASONS WE LOVE EASY STEAK FAJITAS:
- steak cooks up tender, juicy and flavorful and the whole meal comes together in around 30 minutes.
- full of flavor and perfect for Cinco de Mayo or anytime you’re craving a Mexican fiesta
- easily customize the vegetables with what you have on hand
- gluten free, dairy free, low carb, keto, paleo, diabetic and Whole30 friendly
INGREDIENTS FOR LOW CARB STEAK FAJITAS:
To make these easy steak fajitas, you’re going to need:
- chili powder
- smoked paprika
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- fresh lime
- bell peppers – we like to use a mix of red, orange and green
- olive oil
- Low Carb Paleo Tortillas or Whole30 tortillas
HOW TO MAKE KETO SHEET PAN STEAK FAJITAS
- MAKE THE SEASONING: Start off by making the homemade fajita seasoning. It’s a blend of chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Or if you already have a favorite brand of fajita seasoning, you can certainly use that instead.
- MARINATE THE STEAK: Combine the olive oil, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, cilantro and fajita seasonings for the steak marinade in a zip-top bag. Add the steak, seal the bag and press so the flavors meld together. The great thing about this easy recipe is that you won’t have to let the steak marinate all night if you’re in pinch or forgot. You simply allow it to sit while you get your other ingredients ready.
- PREPARE THE VEGETABLES: Cut the onions and bell peppers into thin slices
- BAKE: Spread the vegetables onto one or divide into two baking sheets. Drizzle with olive oil and 1/3 of the seasoning. Toss to coat well.
- Roast the veggies for 10 minutes then remove baking sheet from the oven.
- Move the vegetables to the sides of pan and arrange steak in a single layer in center of pan, making sure not to overcrowd everything. Broil on high for 3 minutes or until steak is cooked to your liking.
- If you prefer your vegetables a little bit more tender, you can roast them for a few more minutes before adding the steak. To keep your vegetables on the crunchy side – bake them for a few minutes less.
- Serve with your favorite homemade or store-bought tortillas according to your diet / preference along with a wedge of lime of lime and cilantro. Some paleo / Whole30 options also include lettuce wraps or cauliflower rice.
- For low carb or keto – you can use these low carb tortillas , coconut wraps.
TOPPING OPTIONS FOR FAJITAS:
Our favorite thing about making fajitas at home is definitely the fun toppings!
You can top and serve your shrimp fajitas with:
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- fresh lime wedges
WHAT IF I WANT TO MAKE PALEO STEAK FAJITAS?
The great thing about this easy recipe is that you can customize it according to your dietary needs. The recipe for the homemade fajita seasoning and marinade are already paleo, keto, low carb and Whole30 compliant.
All you have to do is make sure the toppings that you choose are Whole30 compliant.
So anything like cauliflower rice, lettuce wraps or spiralized vegetable noodles would be fine.
HOW TO MAKE KETO STEAK FAJITAS?
And if you’re following a low carb, keto or paleo diet, you can serve the fajita filling in coconut wraps, low carb tortillas, in lettuce wraps, on a bed of lettuce, cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles.
TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST STEAK FAJITAS:
- add more chili powder and some red chili flakes if you prefer more heat
- save time by slicing the vegetables the night before
- combine the fajita seasonings ahead of time to have on hand
These easy Mexican fajitas would be a great make ahead meal on your meal prep Sunday.
Divide everything out into lunch containers to enjoy them throughout the week
More recipes you might like:
Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas are tender, juicy and full of flavor and perfect for busy weeknights! Cooks up in under 30 minutes on one pan with options for paleo/ Whole30, low carb and keto with a homemade fajita spice blend.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional or to taste
- 12 ounces flank steak sliced into 1/4" strips across the grain
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro finely chopped
- juice from 2 limes divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 medium bell peppers thinly sliced (I used red, yellow, orange and green)
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- sliced avocado
- your favorite homemade paleo / Whole30 or store-bought compliant tortillas
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a large baking sheet (mine was 18 x 13 - use two if necessary). For easier cleanup, you can also line with parchment paper or foil.
Combine the ingredients for the seasonings in small bowl or bag and mix.
In a large zip-top bag, add the steak and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, juice from 1 lime, Worcestershire sauce and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle with 2/3 of the fajita seasonings. Toss to coat well. (If time permits, allow to marinate at least 30 minutes or covered in the fridge for up to 3 hours for maximum flavor).
Spread the vegetables in an even layer on prepared sheet pan. Try not to overlap too much and keep everything in a single layer. (Use two sheet pans if necessary). Drizzle with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil and season with remaining one third (1/3) of the seasonings. Toss to coat well.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on how done you like your vegetables) or until peppers are tender. (If steak was marinating in the fridge, remove and allow to sit at room temperature while the vegetables are cooking).
Remove sheet pan from oven, flip and push the vegetables to the sides of the pan. Add steak strips in a single layer to the center of the pan, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Broil on high for 3 minutes or until desired doneness (flip as needed).
Serve with your favorite homemade or store-bought paleo / low carb / Whole30 tortillas with sliced avocado and your favorite toppings.
- To bake tortillas: wrap in aluminum foil and add to the top rack of the oven while the chicken is baking for about 5 minutes.