Tropical Bahn Mi Tacos make a fun and easy meal and just perfect for Cinco de Mayo or Taco Tuesday! Best of all, filled with a flavorful Asian-styled pulled pork, pickled vegetables, sweet pineapples and a splash of lime juice.
These Tropical Banh Mi Tacos tacos combine all the amazing flavors of a Vietnamese Bánh Mi Sandwich along with a fun tropical twist. The toasted tortilla shells are filled with a sweet and spicy Asian flavored pulled pork that gets cooked up in the slow cooker.
We love a good slow cooked meat. It gets all nice and tender and soaks up all that amazing flavor! Load up the tacos with some pickled carrots, daikon, radicchio or purple cabbage and cucumber along with some sweet pineapple and fresh cilantro.
Make ahead tips for these Tropical Banh Mi Tacos
- cook the meat the day before and store in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days
- prepare the vegetables in advance and store in a large resealable bag in the fridge
Tropical Bahn Mi Tacos
- For the tacos
- 2 pounds pork shoulder or butt fat trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2½ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons red chili garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 5 garlic cloves minced
- 2 stalks lemongrass trimmed and sliced thinly
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- fresh lime juice
- Flour tortillas
- Additional toppings of your choice: chopped pineapples chopped cilantro, Sriracha sauce
- For the slaw
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium carrot peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 1 medium daikon peeled & cut into matchsticks
- 1/2 cup shredded radicchio or red cabbage
- For the pork
- In the bottom of a slow cooker, combine the water, soy sauce, fish sauce, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, chili paste and rice vinegar. Toss in the ginger, garlic, lemongrass and onion. Season the pork with salt and pepper and nestle the pork in the slow cooker, coat with sauce. (You can also sear your pork prior to adding it into the slow cooker on the stove if you prefer a caramelized skin).
- Cook on low for *7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours, rotating once during the cooking process and coating with more sauce. Transfer the pork to a cutting board and shred using two forks. Dump the pork back into the slow cooker, squeeze in some lime juice and toss to combine with the remaining sauce.
- For the slaw
- While the pork is cooking, make the slaw. In a large resealable bowl or a mason jar, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt and then add the carrots and daikon. Seal it all up and store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the tacos.
- To assemble the tacos:
- Fill each tortilla with some pork and a layer of slaw. Spoon reserved sauce over top and top with pineapples and fresh cilantro. Drizzle with Sriracha sauce if desired.
*If your slow cooker runs hot, check on pork earlier.
More dishes for Cinco de Mayo: