This Strawberry Spinach Salad is made with fresh greens, creamy avocado, sweet strawberries, toasted pecans, cooked chicken and fresh herbs. It’s the perfect healthy low carb lunch or light dinner and a delicious side dish for summer parties, picnics, potlucks and barbecues. Includes options for paleo and Whole30.
Updated July 2019 from 2018
Spinach salads are one of my absolute favorite things to make for lunch. They are healthy, delicious and the perfect base for using up whatever you have leftover in your fridge. The best part is, they are simple to customize and can be ready on your dinner table in under 30 minutes.
This Strawberry Spinach Salad is fresh, flavorful and loaded with everything I love. It’s got some sweet summery berries, organic baby greens and some creamy avocado. Plus, it also happens to be gluten free, low carb, keto and can be paleo friendly and Whole30 compliant if you leave out the cheese.
INGREDIENTS YOU NEED:
For the Whole30 Creamy Poppy seed Dressing
- coconut milk
- avocado oil (or olive oil)
- apple cider vinegar (you can also use balsamic vinegar if you prefer)
- lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- poppy seeds
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- sweetener of choice:
- organic baby spinach
- fresh basil or mint
- sliced strawberries
- chopped walnuts, toasted pecans (you can also use candied pecans if you like)
- shredded cooked chicken for a Spinach Salad with Chicken
- slivered almonds
- OPTIONAL: thinly sliced onions, goat cheese or crumbled feta – leave out for Whole30 / dairy-free / paleo
HOW TO MAKE STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD:
- MAKE THE DRESSING: Add all of the ingredients for the dressing into a bowl or jar. Whisk or shake until combined. The dressing is made with creamy coconut milk, avocado oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, ground mustard, poppy-seeds and salt and pepper to taste.
- COMBINE THE VEGGIES AND PROTEIN: In a large bowl, add the spinach, sliced strawberries, avocado, chopped pecans, slivered almonds and shredded chicken (if using)
- TOSS THE SALAD: Pour the homemade dressing over the greens and toss to combine. Top with fresh herbs and/or goat cheese or crumbled feta (leave out for Whole30 and Paleo) and serve immediately.
VARIATIONS FOR STRAWBERRY SALAD:
- You can add more or less spinach depending on what you like or toss in some crunchy romaine lettuce for an extra layer of flavor.
- Don’t like poppy seed dressing? You can make the best ever strawberry spinach salad by using your favorite dressing: balsamic dressing, raspberry dressing or strawberry vinaigrette are all delicious
- Not a fan of avocado? No problem, I am a BIG avocado lover but feel free to leave it out.
- Got lots of berries on hand? Go ahead and toss some blueberries, raspberries or blackberries in here as well.
- For a complete meal, add grilled or shredded rotisserie chicken or another protein of your choice like turkey, salmon or shrimp
- To keep this salad dairy free and/or nut-free, leave out the cheese, almonds and chopped pecans.
WHAT DRESSING FOR STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD?
The great thing about this spinach salad is how versatile it is.
Depending on what you feel like, a strawberry spinach salad with raspberry vinaigrette or a delicious strawberry spinach salad with balsamic vinaigrette would be delicious options.
Or switch things up and use any other dressing you like or have on hand.
MAKE-AHEAD SPINACH SALAD:
To make your strawberry salad ahead of time, just combine and store the poppy seed dressing into a separate container with a lid, until you’re ready to use it.
Wash and dry the spinach and strawberries beforehand and store them covered in the fridge. The avocado doesn’t store all that well after it’s cubed, so I would recommend cutting and slicing just before serving.
IS STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD HEALTHY?
This spinach salad is loaded with healthy veggies and packed with vitamins, protein, fiber and healthy fats. The healthy spinach salad dressing is deliciously light, refreshing and gluten free, paleo, Whole30 compliant and low in carbs.
WHAT ARE THE CALORIES IN STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD
The macros for one serving of this spinach salad recipe is:
- 319 calories (267 calories without chicken)
- 7g NET carbs
- 13g Protein (6g Protein without chicken)
- 26g Fat (23g Fat without chicken)
More spinach salad recipes:
More healthy salad recipes:
This Strawberry Spinach Salad is made with fresh greens, creamy avocado, sweet strawberries, toasted pecans, cooked chicken and fresh herbs. It's the perfect healthy low carb & paleo lunch or light dinner.
- 1/4 cup full fat unsweetened chilled canned coconut milk (the top creamy part) OR coconut cream
- 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar OR balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dried mustard or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- salt and black pepper to taste
- add sweetener of your choice to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or mint finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 avocado , diced
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans or walnuts plus more for topping
- 1 cup shredded cooked chicken , leave out for meatless version
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon goat cheese or crumbled feta optional, for serving
- thinly sliced onions optional, for serving
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a bowl or a jar and mix to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl, add spinach, basil, strawberries, almonds and pecans. Pour dressing over salad and gently toss to combine.
- Serve immediately with more chopped pecans and crumbled feta, if desired.